Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2016, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
Well, I own a pretty cheap tripod that is as stable as it can get. In fact, it is identical to some way more expensive one...

sometimes (a lot of times) expensive 'brands' are just that. Some name stamped onto the same stuff as much cheaper one from 'amazon basic' or 'neewer' or whatever else cheapo non-brand. What is true for clothes and food is also true for 'photography' equipment. Nope, it is worse. A lot of photographers are so used to be ripped off they still think that it is ok to shell out 100$ for a simple piece of metal with a hole in it.
When 100 people with more knowledge and experience than me say "Get a Manfrotto tripod with hydrostatic ball head", I could listen, or I could take great satisfaction in writing a review that says "I saved $100, but it dropped my $1400 camera."

08-22-2016, 02:55 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
When 100 people with more knowledge and experience than me say "Get a Manfrotto tripod with hydrostatic ball head", I could listen, or I could take great satisfaction in writing a review that says "I saved $100, but it dropped my $1400 camera."

Does anyone know where I can get info regarding the weight limitations ratings on the tripod mx 1000, Vivitar and monopod Promaster 1700 that
I currently have?

I really like the monopod because it expands enough that I do not have to bend over to use it. Most of the ones I have looked at as a replacement option seems to be around 60 inches max and I am almost 6 feet tall -71 inches.

Thanks
08-22-2016, 06:36 AM   #18
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
Well, I own a pretty cheap tripod that is as stable as it can get. In fact, it is identical to some way more expensive one...

sometimes (a lot of times) expensive 'brands' are just that. Some name stamped onto the same stuff as much cheaper one from 'amazon basic' or 'neewer' or whatever else cheapo non-brand. What is true for clothes and food is also true for 'photography' equipment. Nope, it is worse. A lot of photographers are so used to be ripped off they still think that it is ok to shell out 100$ for a simple piece of metal with a hole in it.
except when needing parts or service and that brand has disappeared or no longer responds to their customers.... but you did save all that money up front, right?
08-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
no offense taken I got to pay for the trip and our son is getting married next year so wife isn't eager for me to spend $ on camera equipment

that being said, any suggestions?
Apologies for slow response. I was otherwise engaged helping to organise my 35th Wedding Anniversary.

I use Manfrotto tripods and monopods, and find them very good value and excellent work horses. I have two of their 055 series tripods, plus a 681B and a 695 monopod.

I also use a variety of their heads, but dislike the fact that they take different QR plates, so am currently 'converting' them to Arca Swiss, with an adapter that simply sits on top of the Manfrotto QR plate. Bit clunky, but works.

---------- Post added 08-22-16 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Does anyone know where I can get info regarding the weight limitations ratings on the tripod mx 1000, Vivitar and monopod Promaster 1700 that
I currently have?

I really like the monopod because it expands enough that I do not have to bend over to use it. Most of the ones I have looked at as a replacement option seems to be around 60 inches max and I am almost 6 feet tall -71 inches.

Thanks
It's not so much the weight capacity that is the issue, as I'm sure both will support your kit, it's their stability, especially the tripod. If you used the tripod without extending the legs it'll probably be fine, but that's not what you want or anyone actually does, and looking at on-line pictures of your mx1000 it looks incredibly flimsy. It might be ok to use it to support a off camera flash, but I wouldn't put a camera on it bigger than a compact (unless it was my worst enemies Nikon or Canon of course)

Last edited by JohnX; 08-22-2016 at 11:16 AM.
08-23-2016, 01:33 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Congrats on the success of your marriage, we are celebrating our 25th this year, here is a link to photos taken on our celebratory safari to Tanzania

flickr.com/photos/pre69cubfan/albums

Cameras used by my and my wife Judy: Pentax K 5 II + tamron 70 - 300 mm macro zoom, Nikon coolpix p610s, Samsung phone and Ipad

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-23-2016 at 02:52 AM.
08-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Different tripods for different reasons...

I have a nice Bogen (Manfrotto 3001, I think) that's about 20 years old and is as stable as it is heavy.

A Davis-Sanford that is at least ten years older that hardly ever sees use.

And a $13 cheap thing from Amazon that replaced a $2 yard sale "flimsy". I don't put the K1 or the Graflex on it, but it's great for nearly anything else...
And it weighs basically nothing, so I don't mind lugging it about so much.

If I traveled a lot for pleasure, I'd buy a nice carbon one, as they are really cool, but I don't, so I haven't...

-Eric