Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 01:06 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please don't laugh

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm hoping for a miracle solution of this problem. I want to figure out a way that I could preattach quick release plates to camera bodies, a K 3 and k 5 ii, and a pentax 150 - 450 zoom lens so I could switch them quickly between a monopod support and my tripod

The tripod is a mx 1000, Vivitar I believe

I will supply the make of the monopod later

right now the quick release plates are not compatible

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give

08-18-2016, 01:12 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Please don't laugh

Hi Aslyfox. This is a generic copy of the genuine Manfrotto part. The base plate mounts to any tripod/monopod head, and then the quick release plate is standardized for your needs. Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/323-RC2-System-Quick-Release-Adapter-for-Manfrott...QAAOSwwpdW-7Xo
08-18-2016, 02:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really we can't answer this until we know what the monopod is.

You may need to find that you will need to change the head on one or the other to get compatibility, or possibly buying a new one of one or the other to get to common QR plates.

Or, will the head screw off the tripod and go onto the monopod after removing the monopod head (or visa versa)? Assuming that hot swapping between the tripod and the monopod is not a requirement.
08-18-2016, 02:23 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
this would fit on top of the existing tripod head?

how tight is the fit, would it cause, what is that technical term - oh yes

wobbling

thanks for the speedy response. I have found it, I think on the US ebay web site, your link went to Australia

although we visited Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart then NZ a few years ago, I don't think I can convince the wife to go back just to pick up a camera related gadget

08-18-2016, 06:17 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm hoping for a miracle solution of this problem. I want to figure out a way that I could preattach quick release plates to camera bodies, a K 3 and k 5 ii, and a pentax 150 - 450 zoom lens so I could switch them quickly between a monopod support and my tripod

For my DFA 150-450 and camera bodies , I have Arca quick release plates - These are the ones with little slots at the end (https://www.amazon.com/Desmond-DTB-60-Plate-Bosses-Compatible/dp/B00GNLYIEY/...ca+swiss+plate)
To these little lots at the end, you attach Optech Uniloop connectors. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010HA6A6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
This is used in conjunction with the Optech Utility strap (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N6242E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which also comes with its own uniloop connectors.

Two uniloop connectors are attached to the lugs on the camera body where the original strap was connected. One goes to the Arca quick release plate at the tripod collar of the DFA 150-450 while one can attach to one of the camera strap mounting points or to a second arca plate on the bottom of the camera body.
This creates two anchoring points, distributing the weight between the lens collar and the camera. This is also a failsafe should one of Uniloop connectors ever not be properly fastened or work themselves loose or for some reason, fail ( although that is not likely to happen- each uniloop can take 150 lbs).
You can switch from hand carrying the camera-lens combo to mounting it on Arca quick release clamps on your tripod or monopod. (https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Adapter-Gradienter-Release-Wimberley/dp/B00RK2...rds=arca+swiss)
When not using the 150-450, it's easy to disconnect the Uniloop connector from it and attach the Utility strap to one of those on the camera when using lighter lenses or those without a tripod collar.
Hope I didn't confuse you further..
Cheers
Andrew

Last edited by Andy Fern; 08-18-2016 at 06:43 AM.
08-18-2016, 06:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a Large Studio Type Manfrotto, small portable Manfrotto, Polaroid Monopod,Medium Velbon Tripod and a Acme brand Table Top Minipod all with the Same Quick release Base attached to the OEM base. I have K3 ,Bigma ,Bridge , & Point & Shoot Cameras all with the same quick release plates attached (permanently). All of this was purchased over the years from the Orient at a cost someware less than $50. Never had any problem with equipment failure. They are the Universal Quick release stuff on Ebay from the Orient.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-18-2016 at 08:10 AM.
08-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

this would fit on top of the existing tripod head?

how tight is the fit, would it cause, what is that technical term - oh yes

wobbling

thanks for the speedy response. I have found it, I think on the US ebay web site, your link went to Australia

although we visited Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart then NZ a few years ago, I don't think I can convince the wife to go back just to pick up a camera related gadget
I have been a user for these plates for a long time. In fact I bought them in a dozens and converted all my tripods by either refitting the bases with these. If not I just thread it on top of the existing tripods QR plate (the base black piece of this unit) and converted them too. They are fairly sturdy (but will likely not stand a fall or drop or a hit as they seem to be a brittle kinds but hard enough to not break under normal pressure). Having said that I have all the bodies mounted with QR plates and the lenses as well. Bottomline I dont worry about looking for QR plates or the compatibility any more. I just mount whatever camera body onto whatever tripod/monopod (yes I converted my monopod too) or macro rig (yes this one too) and have a seemless experience.

Amazon sells them for $10 bucks FS and most other sellers too. After using this system for over a year I am loving it.

Btw I have Manfrotto, old (repurposed) /new (uses the same QR plate), Ravelli, Some unbranded old heavy duty and a couple of aluminium velbons converted.

Last edited by shardulm; 08-18-2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: added info
08-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this it?
He uses Pentax! ;-)
08-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
yes that is the tripod and the monopod is a promaster 1700

PROMASTER® 1700 Monopod - Tripods & Monopods - Camera Spot | Spec Sheet

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-18-2016 at 09:21 AM. Reason: changed language
08-18-2016, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Apologies if this seems a bit harsh, but I'd get rid of both the tripod and monopod and buy decent ones.
08-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Apologies if this seems a bit harsh, but I'd get rid of both the tripod and monopod and buy decent ones.
no offense taken I got to pay for the trip and our son is getting married next year so wife isn't eager for me to spend $ on camera equipment

that being said, any suggestions?
08-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

no offense taken I got to pay for the trip and our son is getting married next year so wife isn't eager for me to spend $ on camera equipment

that being said, any suggestions?
I agree that you should upgrade your tripod.

However, there are a lot of good tripods out there for not a lot of $$$. For instance, the Bogen/Manfrotto 3001. You can find one of these for around $80, and it'll last you a lifetime. Or you can buy the legs for $50 and put your own ball head on it. Here's an example from eBay.

Bogen Manfrotto 3001 Complete Tripod w 3126 Head Professional Photography | eBay

EDIT: I own 2 of these and they're incredibly solid and well-built, yet very light.

Last edited by Fat Albert; 08-18-2016 at 10:20 AM.
08-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Keep your Pods buy the cheapo Q R's from the Orient switch to Fast Multi exposure mode in Hurrican winds between that and Pentax S R one of the photogs will turn out. Quit making your hobby soooooooooo complex!
08-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #14

Well, I own a pretty cheap tripod that is as stable as it can get. In fact, it is identical to some way more expensive one...

sometimes (a lot of times) expensive 'brands' are just that. Some name stamped onto the same stuff as much cheaper one from 'amazon basic' or 'neewer' or whatever else cheapo non-brand. What is true for clothes and food is also true for 'photography' equipment. Nope, it is worse. A lot of photographers are so used to be ripped off they still think that it is ok to shell out 100$ for a simple piece of metal with a hole in it.
08-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #15
Pentaxian

We have 3 or 4 Manfrotto tripods with the hexagonal QR plus now a couple of travel tripods with Arcade Swiss QR. I picked up an Arcade Swiss block and mounted it onto a Manfrotto plate so now I can use my Pentax gear and the toy cameras on whichever tripod we have out by only taking the one adapter with us. The Manfrotto are much more stable plus we have MF and LF cameras. Add a L bracket for the Pentax and tripod use has become supper easy, other than the obvious of having to carry it.