Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Each has to use what works best for them. I won't have anything but a neoprene strap (OpTech), as others cut into my neck and are very uncomfortable.
I bought a neoprene strap sometime back because of that and yes it's MUCH more comfortable. But I now mostly use a chest strap if hiking as it keeps my camera from swinging around so much, negligible neck strain, and quicker to shoot. For shorter jaunts a neoprene wrist strap is always left in place anyway. It's a permanent fixture, but interchangable in seconds for the neck strap if I ever want to.

Like you said it's just personal preference, but I'd never use a stock neck strap as they are just not comfortable for more than a few minutes. Neoprene like the OpTech one would be the way to go, and the prices are very reasonable. We really should "Buy USA" when we can. (assuming you live in the US of course! )

08-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #32
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
We really should "Buy USA" when we can. (assuming you live in the US of course! )
Thank you! Yes, companies in the US have a hard time competing with overseas companies. That's one of the main reasons I'm such a strong supporter of OpTech; that and the fact their products are high quality, and made to last!

I'm in no way affiliated with OpTech, other than a very satisfied customer!
08-26-2016, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Like you said it's just personal preference, but I'd never use a stock neck strap as they are just not comfortable for more than a few minutes. Neoprene like the OpTech one would be the way to go, and the prices are very reasonable.
Neoprene is definitely the most comfortable strap, and OP/TECH straps are more durable than other brands I've seen used by friends and acquaintances. I also love the interchangeability between their various straps. I can attach my camera or binoculars to my neck strap, bino/cam-harness, or sling-strap. I can insert extensions into the strap system. I can buy connectors that will connect to the shoulder straps on a knapsack. I can remove the main strap and clip the two connectors on the camera together for a short hand-held strap. The possibilities are myriad. Those are all reason enough for me to buy their gear (I don't live in the USA).
08-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since I use mainly short lenses any combo hanging around my neck is comfortably supported by a woven nylon strap.
For my Pentax SLRs I prefer this once ubiquitous narrow black strap with PENTAX stitched in red.:

Other straps I use are Domke 1" Gripper and Tamrac N-40, both made in USA.
They're a little wider and so also suitable for a heavier camera/lens combo.:

Chris

08-26-2016, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I absolutely love OpTech's Hood Hats for my lenses. For convenience, I always leave the hoods on my lenses, making it very difficult to attach/detach the lens caps. These neoprene Hood Hats go over the hoods, eliminating the need for the caps; and gives very good protection from scratches, nicks on the hoods.

Hood Hat | OP/TECH USA

This is a Montana company that makes their products on site. Nice to pickup the phone & get a "live" person to discuss something with immediately, without hitting several numbers to get to a rep.
I have one for every lens I have.
I don't have a lens cap on any of my lenses. I use these instead.
They're easier/quicer to use and provide a bit of impact protection. They're a product I enthusiastically endorse.
08-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #36
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I have one for every lens I have.
I don't have a lens cap on any of my lenses. I use these instead.
They're easier/quicer to use and provide a bit of impact protection. They're a product I enthusiastically endorse.
Jim, glad you are happy with them! I also have them on all my lenses; just ordering one for my latest lens, the Tamron 10-24.