Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2016, 05:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lauravp77 Quote
I was soooo excited this morning! My macro lens filter set came, and then I opened up the package and tried to put one on... only to discover that, while I *thought* my lens was a 62mm, it is actually a 72mm...
Yay! Time to go lens shopping!
Save

08-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Laura. Sorry to hear of your " whoopsy." The lens data base here is quite extensive and it pays to give it a check sometimes. Is this your lens? If so, the description gives most parameters. Cheers.

Tamron 171D, 271D, 571D AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 LD IF Aspherical Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I don't think that is the exact same lens, though very similar. This is mine:

This is the lens I purchased the macro filters... - lauravp77's Album: LauraVincentPhotography - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 08-27-16 at 07:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Yay! Time to go lens shopping!
Save

I will have to forgo any more lens shopping for the time being! It gets to be a little addicting lol (I believe MightyMike warned me about this lol). I have enough to work with for now, and I think it's more important to learn with what I have now, so that I'll have a good idea of what I need to get later, if anything.
08-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #18

There are many iterations of this lens - a popular focal length range. All of them appear to use a 72mm filter. No big deal, just be sure to be sure by checking your equipment in the future.

Buying step-down rings via mail order should not be a problem if the dealer has a good return policy. You can always resort to buyer protection on eBay or your credit card company.

I'm not recommending this particular brand but B&H has a low-cost ring. They have a good return policy. Amazon and most of their sellers have good return policies too.
General Brand 72-62mm Step-Down Ring (Lens to Filter) 72-62 B&H
08-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There are many iterations of this lens - a popular focal length range. All of them appear to use a 72mm filter. No big deal, just be sure to be sure by checking your equipment in the future.

Buying step-down rings via mail order should not be a problem if the dealer has a good return policy. You can always resort to buyer protection on eBay or your credit card company.

I'm not recommending this particular brand but B&H has a low-cost ring. They have a good return policy. Amazon and most of their sellers have good return policies too.
General Brand 72-62mm Step-Down Ring (Lens to Filter) 72-62 B&H

Thank you, I will consider that.

09-11-2016, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So, I forgot to mention, but I ended up getting a step-Down ring for my 55mm manual lens. So I am able to use my macro filters now! Yay me!
09-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

It sounds like you ordered the "macro filters" before you actually had the lens in your possession, is that right? Many lenses indicate the filter thread size on them, and, if one doesn't, it's pretty easy to measure with a ruler having a millimeter scale. That being said, I think I have ordered filters for a lens I hadn't received yet. There is some risk when doing that; sometimes there is a version of a lens that has a different filter thread size than does the version most people and reviews of that lens know about.

As for adapter rings, I normally avoid step-down rings. If I had a set of 62mm filters or close-up lenses, and no intention of getting a lens that would fit them, I'd be more likely to get a step-up adapter so that I could use them with a lens with 58mm or 55mm filter threads.
09-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

But what about the filter? Are you happy with the results?

09-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
It sounds like you ordered the "macro filters" before you actually had the lens in your possession, is that right? Many lenses indicate the filter thread size on them, and, if one doesn't, it's pretty easy to measure with a ruler having a millimeter scale. That being said, I think I have ordered filters for a lens I hadn't received yet. There is some risk when doing that; sometimes there is a version of a lens that has a different filter thread size than does the version most people and reviews of that lens know about.

As for adapter rings, I normally avoid step-down rings. If I had a set of 62mm filters or close-up lenses, and no intention of getting a lens that would fit them, I'd be more likely to get a step-up adapter so that I could use them with a lens with 58mm or 55mm filter threads.

I already had the lens, I just didn't know how to check the thread size. I made an assumption and it was wrong Anyway, I am very happy with the marco filters.