Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2016, 05:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Looking to support a lens without a tripod mount

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I plan on spending quite a bit of time birding this fall and taking my camera with me. During these walks my tripod will either be occupied by a spotting scope, or left at home. I will be using a K5 with the 55-300mm lens plus a 1.4TC. The problem is that the lens does not have a tripod mount and I don't want to strain my camera's lens mount by having the lens hand upside down all day. I have searched the web and so far this is the beat I have been able to find.
OP/TECH USA System Connectors Lens Loops (Set of Two) 1301412

Other suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you.

09-05-2016, 05:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 55-300 is light enough that I don't think you have to worry about it.
09-05-2016, 05:44 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was thinking the same thing - that lens isn't heavy enough to worry about it....
09-05-2016, 05:51 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chibae Quote
I plan on spending quite a bit of time birding this fall and taking my camera with me. During these walks my tripod will either be occupied by a spotting scope, or left at home. I will be using a K5 with the 55-300mm lens plus a 1.4TC. The problem is that the lens does not have a tripod mount and I don't want to strain my camera's lens mount by having the lens hand upside down all day. I have searched the web and so far this is the beat I have been able to find.

Other suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you.
My guess is that you have ruled out a monopod if you are using the tripod with spotting scope?

I have no real experience to draw from but I thought of a monopod handing from a belt or strapped across your body. Not quick to employ but would give support when stopped.

Are you primarily concern about the weight of the lens hanging from the actual K 5 while walking?

I'm interested in this thread b/c next june my wife and I will be on our first trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. I am currently planning on a manfronto 679B monopod along with my K 3 and k 5 II plus 1.4 teleconverter and various lens options up to a rented 150 - 300 mm Pentax zoom

So I have similar issues - the pentax 150 - 300 zoom weighs 4 + lbs by itself

09-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
My guess is that you have ruled out a monopod if you are using the tripod with spotting scope?

I have no real experience to draw from but I thought of a monopod handing from a belt or strapped across your body. Not quick to employ but would give support when stopped.

Are you primarily concern about the weight of the lens hanging from the actual K 5 while walking?

I'm interested in this thread b/c next june my wife and I will be on our first trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. I am currently planning on a manfronto 679B monopod along with my K 3 and k 5 II plus 1.4 teleconverter and various lens options up to a rented 150 - 300 mm Pentax zoom

My primary concern is the weight of the lens hanging down while walking. If I have a free hand I can reach down and support the lens. But, too many times I stop and put up my bins leaving the camera and lens hanging supported only by the camera strap. Which in turn leaves the lens supported solely by the camera's lens mount. I already have binoculars hanging from a chest harness and a belt pack on. I'd prefer not to have anything else hanging off my body except by a shoulder strap..I usually carry the camera with the strap over my shoulder rather than around my neck.
09-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My primary concern is the weight of the lens hanging down while walking. If I have a free hand I can reach down and support the lens. But, too many times I stop and put up my bins leaving the camera and lens hanging supported only by the camera strap. Which in turn leaves the lens supported solely by the camera's lens mount. I already have binoculars hanging from a chest harness and a belt pack on. I'd prefer not to have anything else hanging off my body except by a shoulder strap..I usually carry the camera with the strap over my shoulder rather than around my neck.
I used the DA L 55-300 (plastic bayonet) for years without any support. Used it with a 1.4x TC too. Never any trouble.
09-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You rented a 645 lens to use with a K-3? Interesting...Or are you talking about a Sigma 150-500? The 645 FA 150-300 is a 2 lb lens, the 150-500 is a 4 lb lens. I have a 150-500 and mainly use it with a monopod screwed directly into the tripod mount on the lens...I have also used it with a sling strap attached to the tripod mount on the lens.

09-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You rented a 645 lens to use with a K-3? Interesting...Or are you talking about a Sigma 150-500? The 645 FA 150-300 is a 2 lb lens, the 150-500 is a 4 lb lens. I have a 150-500 and mainly use it with a monopod screwed directly into the tripod mount on the lens...I have also used it with a sling strap attached to the tripod mount on the lens.
Perhaps I have screwed up the intial message. I have rented, in the past for a trial and am planning on renting again for the trip, a Pentax 150 - 450 mm f/4.5 - 5.6 D FA DC AW.

It will come with a tripod ring but what I am concern about is when I don't have it mounted to a tripod or a monopod but simply slung from my over the shoulder Optech utility sling

Utility Strap - Sling | OP/TECH USA

is there any reason to be concerned about the weight bearing connection between the camera body of either the K 3 or K 5 ll and the lens

attaching the lens to the utility strap would add a safety element I hadn't thought of but if the lens pulls off the camera mount, it still would put the camera body "out of action" if you understand what I mean

does this clear up any confusion I caused?

---------- Post added 09-05-16 at 08:47 ----------

I am a great believer in repurposing things I have bought in the past (some call me cheap). I have an old multipocketed vest from Cabelas. similar vests can be found everywhere

could you slip the end of the lens partially into a pocket to help support it when you can't use your hand?

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-05-2016 at 06:43 AM. Reason: added additional thoughts
09-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps I have screwed up the intial message. I have rented, in the past for a trial and am planning on renting again for the trip, a Pentax 150 - 450 mm f/4.5 - 5.6 D FA DC AW.

It will come with a tripod ring but what I am concern about is when I don't have it mounted to a tripod or a monopod but simply slung from my over the shoulder Optech utility sling

Utility Strap - Sling | OP/TECH USA

is there any reason to be concerned about the weight bearing connection between the camera body of either the K 3 or K 5 ll and the lens

attaching the lens to the utility strap would add a safety element I hadn't thought of but if the lens pulls off the camera mount, it still would put the camera body "out of action" if you understand what I mean

does this clear up any confusion I caused?
I have used a Chinese knock-off of the Black Rapid sling strap. It attaches to the tripod mount of the lens, not the camera.

Quick Rapid Single Shoulder Sling Black Belt Strap for Digital SLR DSLR Camera | eBay

In this way the camera is hanging from the lens instead of the other way around...

If you don't trust a $2000 lens to $7 of Chinese workmanship spend a little more on the real thing
09-05-2016, 07:23 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

or going back to the original poster and his question about this:

it appears to support the lens by having it hang from the barrel of the lens ????
09-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

As others have said, you aren't going to strain your camera mount with 55-300 on it. As for carrying it with the long lens mounted, I highly recommend the Cotton Carrier vest. It takes the strain off your neck as well as keeping the camera secure against your chest. I have used this vest xc skiing, kayaking, and of course hiking and even some rock scrambling. I also bring along a monopod which also functions as a hiking stick.
CCS Camera Harness, Camera Vest Carrier - Cotton - Camera Carrying Systems
09-05-2016, 07:47 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I thank all for the speedy and thoughtful comments

OTOH my wife thinks this is all a conspiracy to support my desire to buy more "gadgets"

09-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
As others have said, you aren't going to strain your camera mount with 55-300 on it. As for carrying it with the long lens mounted, I highly recommend the Cotton Carrier vest. It takes the strain off your neck as well as keeping the camera secure against your chest. I have used this vest xc skiing, kayaking, and of course hiking and even some rock scrambling. I also bring along a monopod which also functions as a hiking stick.
CCS Camera Harness, Camera Vest Carrier - Cotton - Camera Carrying Systems
Yes, a light lens is no danger to the camera mount when walking around -- it is more in danger of getting banged or your neck is in danger of getting sore. So a chest-mount holder (there are many) or Cotton Carrier or something like that to keep it secured to your body when walking is recommended. When backpacking, I use a Ribz front-pack to carry camera stuff on the front of me, but it isn't ready for instant use that way.
09-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yes, a light lens is no danger to the camera mount when walking around -- it is more in danger of getting banged or your neck is in danger of getting sore. So a chest-mount holder (there are many) or Cotton Carrier or something like that to keep it secured to your body when walking is recommended. When backpacking, I use a Ribz front-pack to carry camera stuff on the front of me, but it isn't ready for instant use that way.
just got done with live chat with B&H

I was told that since the big 4 + lb 150 - 450 mm pentax zoom is attached via metal to metal, there is no need to fear about attaching it to either a K 3 or K 5 II
09-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I thank all for the speedy and thoughtful comments

OTOH my wife thinks this is all a conspiracy to support my desire to buy more "gadgets"

Wow! And we haven't even mentioned LBA!

Gadgets are a big part of every hobby/activity. The basic gear gets you in the game but just the simple act of buying DSLR or ILC is just the beginning. The principal reason for owning such a camera is to have multiple lenses, otherwise you would have stuck with your phone. With multiple lenses, you need storage solutions and ways to carry them in the field. You also need a means to stabilize your camera for low light shots and long lenses.

There IS a conspiracy! It isn't the posters in the forum but rather the camera manufacturers! They suckered you into buying a DSLR, knowing full well that your camera kit is completely insufficient. Yes, you can crop your kit lens shots 200% and avoid a telephoto but you quickly discover they look like they came from a Holga that has been stored in an outhouse for the past 10 years. You don't need a tripod but duct taping your camera to tree branches isn't always practical. You can carry all your gear in a plastic Walmart bag........See where I'm going?