Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #1

Filter for tourist trips?

What filter would you use on a non photography trip. Basically I'm heading West for a few weeks I got me Lee filters but I'm not sure they would be good for mobility sight seeing.

What type of filter would you use for normal sight seeing?

09-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Non photography sight seeing trip? No such thing! :-) :-) :-) :-)

Since filters often meet specific needs, I honestly would not use one for general photography.
Most generically I might bring a circular polarizer if anything.

If you're going to be in an area where dust/dirt is being blown heavily I might think of a UV filter.
If you're going to be on a boat with water mist, I might go for a filter with a good water shedding coating.
If you're going to use flash during the day an ND filter might help (or carry a HighSpeedSync capable flash).
09-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Circular Polarizer, take it off when you don't need it. But I agree with amoringello, every trip is a photography trip. Otherwise why take a camera? then why go anyway? Even if you get ten minutes a day for serious photos, why not.
09-12-2016, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A polarizer is very handy for color photography with a DSLR or SLR.
A popular variation is a polarizer combined with a mild warming filter.

Chris

09-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Non photography sight seeing trip? No such thing! :-) :-) :-) :-)

Since filters often meet specific needs, I honestly would not use one for general photography.
Most generically I might bring a circular polarizer if anything.

If you're going to be in an area where dust/dirt is being blown heavily I might think of a UV filter.
If you're going to be on a boat with water mist, I might go for a filter with a good water shedding coating.
If you're going to use flash during the day an ND filter might help (or carry a HighSpeedSync capable flash).
This is the best answer I can think of. Round filters to match the lens filter sizes needed. Maybe step rings if you want to carry fewer of some of them.

Honestly I rarely carry more than a circular polarizing filter for one lens and that's it. But I can see the others listed above as rational.
09-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'll definitely be taking some serous shots but I use Lee filters and it's not a good system to "run and gun" I was leaning towards a polarizer but then I hear uv.
09-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I just did a trip where I used step-up rings to standardize my lens caps and round filters. I put the round filters in a little Tiffen pouch. Worked great.

09-13-2016, 04:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a Landscape Photography Trip

"I'm just taking the dog for a walk."
Here's a take on a "non photography" trip:
09-13-2016, 04:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mach Quote
I was leaning towards a polarizer but then I hear uv.
These are vastly different tools.

The UV filter exists to protect the front of your lens, it's a matter of opinion whether it's worth it or not (I never use them).

a polarizer is used for many purposes:

Polarizing Filter Basics - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

So don't use one except if you have specific purposes in mind.
09-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At places like Yellowstone a UV, or similar filter on the lens when you are near thermal features is important. If any of the hot mineral laden water, which can be quite acidic too gets on your lens, it can do nasty things to the coatings. Never know when you will be walking by a small geyser and something like this suddenly happens. Knowing wind direction and ispeed around thermal features is important to protecting you gear. More steam in the cool of the morning and evening. Less during the heat of the day.

A polarizer is a must for some shots taken at midday. You don't always have time to wait for the correct light and this will help cut reflections off leaves and water. It can also be used a a variable ND filter withing reason. Early summer light can be quite harsh during a good portion of the day.

This is a shot of a small geyser just a few feet off the boardwalk in the Norris Geyser Basin at Yellowstone. We were walking by and the little critter decided to put on a show. Geysers are pretty cool. They give no warning most of the time and all you hear is splashing water. Not at all what I expected the first time I was near one that went off. Water shot up only about 10 feet (3 meters,).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #11

Original Poster
I purchased a 82mm to 105mm step up adaptor to I can use my Lee polarizer.
Thanks again everyone!