Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by x_goal Quote
Couple of days ago I was looking for a second set of batteries and came across Delkin Power web page (Delkin Devices Batteries). They've got Ready to Use 2300mAh Rechargeable AA Batteries ($36 with charger) and Extended Power 2900mAh Rechargeable AA Batteries ($30 with charger). Batteries sold separately for $18 and $17 respectively. Their Quick Charger has delta-V end-of-charge detection.
Is this brand any good?
You can get those Delkin batteries for much less from Thomas Distributing.

Thomas Distributing

$10.97 for a set of Delkin 2300 low-discharge. You can use pretty much any decent NIMH battery charger to recharge the low-discharge batteries.

07-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #32

After chewing through the Lithiums that came with the K200D, then running through my aging fleet of NiMHs, I read up on contemporary batteries and smart chargers.

For a charger, I went with the LaCrosse BC-900, largely based on an Amazon review that touted it's ergonomics over a competitor's. (I _hate_ poorly designed consumer electronics with an absolute passion <g>.) The Discharge cycle on this charger brought most of my batteries back to life and up to rating, even some eight-year-old Olympus-branded 1600s.

From Thomas Distributing, I stocked up on new batteries. You can drive the price and shipping costs down if you buy in multiples and stock up on those little plastic cases I love.

HTH. - Tom
07-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
There must be something wrong either with camera or batteries. ..

Or the charger is bad.
07-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
However, some NiMH batteries are better than others.
Definitely.

i'm playing around with some el cheapo asian brand AA batteries and they do well, but they self discharge very quickly. i find that with my energisers too.

My Powerex 2700s (not long life) are still going strong after a month. cause of that, i may just get some Maha Powerex Imedion long life ones...

... I put the Lithium batteries that came with it. They are still in the camera.
those Lithium AA batteries that you get with the K200D. Those were the first batteries in mine.

i got 1926 shots before the camera started to turn off after ever shot. None of this testing crap. it was real world shooting.

given that a pack of 4 AA lithiums are the same price as 1 CR-V3 locally, i don't see a point to wanting CR-V3s

I just ordered a fancy charger (MAHA 9000) from Thomas Distributing in order to be able to measure the charge of all my batteries. I have been using NIMH batteries for many years, and I know some of them have got to be dead or fast discharging. I also ordered a few sets of Eneloops.
the guy that sells the Maha stuff locally said this in another forum

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffservaas:
Once you have cycled them through, charge them all up, leave them for a week unused, then charge them again in the MH-C9000. Take note of the mAh they take, and that will tell you their one week self-discharge rate. Then you can work out which batteries are cactus, and put together (hopefully) a few good sets.
(It's about the same ordering it from him as i would from Thomas distributing do to hugely expensive shipping to Australia, but if i order before 3PM, i get it next day )

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Or the charger is bad.
that's exactly my first thought when it comes to rechargable AAs

07-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really don't understand why people take "chances" on off brand batteries, when EVERYONE that uses the Eneloops has nothing but praise for them. Yes, they are a bit more expensive than the other brands...BUT, don't we almost always pay more for the best of anything?

I am not sure, but maybe they aren't available everywhere, so that would be the ONLY reason not to buy them as far as I am concerned.

I have 2 sets of Eneloops that I use in my K110D, and they are by far, the best rechargeables I have tried.

Just buy em !! hehehe
07-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
MAHA IMEDION AA 2100 mAh Rechargeable Batteries Ultra Low Discharge are the best batteries I've used so far, and I have a pair of Ultra Low Discharge Sanyo's also.
07-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #37
Forum Member

Cleaning the matte focusing screen

I've gotten something on the screen in my K10D.

Is it safe for me to take out and wipe off? Anything I should avoid?

Thanks ^^

07-24-2008, 06:53 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you tried blowing it off with a camera blower and/or very soft brush?

The screen is made of plastic and VERY easy to scratch. I believe Katzeye recommends cleaning theirs in a warm water/dish soap solution and rinsing with clean water. Depending on where you live, you might want to use distilled water. I would also use air to dry it.

Last edited by Tom S.; 07-24-2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Spelling (my personal bane) what else?
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #39
Veteran Member

you could remove it, but watch out: i had my camera on the tripod at standard position, and the screen come right out on the floor.... tilt the camera up to avoid this...

Another thing: i could never clean it up to my liking... i'd cleaned up and other areas would be dirty, it was never 100% clean...

07-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I would defer to the wonderful folks over at KatzEye on safe practice as outlined in their FAQ: cleaning - Katz Eye Optics
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #41

cleaning the screen

If you know how to take the screen out, using tweezers with soft edges, do so with the camera turned upside down on a towel or bundle of cloth to cushion it.

The screen fits in a frame that willl drop down onto the sensor if you keep the camera the right way up.

By all means wash it off with distilled water and maybe a touch of dishwasher detergent but ensure that it rinses clean and air dries.

Use a lint free cloth to handle it and insert it the right side up. If you turn the screen top to bottom, it wont focus properly.

I had a massive dust attack on the side of the screen hidden below the prism and had to remove it to get the dust off. It is easy to do but make sure you know how to first.

Good luck
07-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by x_goal Quote
I don't know about power consumption in other models of Pentax DSLR, but K200D is definitely a "power saver"!
This is my experience: I've got camera on July 1st, put in a set of Duracell 2650mAh NiMH rechargeable batteries and so far haven't even opened battery compartment yet... And battery indicator is still at 100%! I've made somewhere between 700 and 800 shots (approximately 10-15% with flash), and more important - the batteries are sitting there for 18 days! Note that these are regular NiMH (not pre-charged that keep charge much longer). Some people say regular NiMH discharge in a couple of days - it's not true! At least good brands do not.
I've learned I do not need any other kind of batteries for my K200D except NiMH. As a back up, in order not to be caught somewhere without power, I bought a set of Sanyo Eneloop (pre-charged). I guess that's all I need...

I'll keep you posted on how many shots and time I can squeeze from Duracell
The final count is 900 to 1000 over three week period. And this was real shooting. I did some play back and navigated menus extensively (I just got the camera, trying to learn it).
I guess it's not bad at all! Some manufacturers rate their proprietary batteries somewhere around these numbers...
07-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #43

To spin this thread in a slightly different direction, what are people's preference for emergency backup batteries? Do you just carry a couple sets of regular alkalines, a set of long-life alkalines (like the Duracell Ultras - are they really any better than standard alkalines?)

I picked up a couple sets of Eneloops with a charger at Costco based on all the positive review I've read and will use those once the lithiums are done but I also want something for backup to keep in the case should I need them.
07-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JN99 Quote
To spin this thread in a slightly different direction, what are people's preference for emergency backup batteries? Do you just carry a couple sets of regular alkalines, a set of long-life alkalines (like the Duracell Ultras - are they really any better than standard alkalines?)

I picked up a couple sets of Eneloops with a charger at Costco based on all the positive review I've read and will use those once the lithiums are done but I also want something for backup to keep in the case should I need them.
I would carry lithiums as a backup. They are lighter and have a longer shelf life... since they are just a backup, the cost isn't very important.
07-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by JN99 Quote

What about such simple idea: low self-discharge NiMH batteries as backup for regular high capacity NiMH batteries or themselves. They are supposed to keep 85% of charge after a year. I believe they will work longer than any alkaline batteries and it's cheaper than lithiums. If you own a decent charger that monitors vital characteristics of the batteries, you always can be sure that your "second" or "third" set of batteries is OK