Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaJP Quote
You can also buy Sanyo Eneloop Power Pack (8AA, 2AAA, and a charger) at ~$27 from local Costco, though the included charger is not great. According to various reviews (e.g., at Amazon), this charger cannot charge batteries individually so when one of four batteries is fully charged it prematurely stops charging the other three.
I bought that Costco Eneloop kit last week-end. Figuring the cost of the batteries and C/D adapters everywhere else, the charger was essentially free, so the quality of that charger wasn't a factor in my purchase at all. It is a slow charger indeed, but still compact and worldwide voltage, so perhaps I will use it for travel, although it is a bit slow for that purpose.

I am going to try to fit eneloops in all my home devices at home that need battery replacements much more often than they should due to too quick regular NiMH discharge : remotes, thermostats, alarm clocks, bathtub lights, shavers, toothbrushes, etc . I just don't want to ever buy any alkalines again.

I haven't tried the eneloops in my K200D yet, as it still has the Lithium batteries in it, but I will after they are empty.

07-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davlee Quote
+1 for the Ray-O-Vac Hybrids and their close relative, Pure Energy NiMH, both low-discharge cells.

Regarding the 1-hour chargers - maybe they're not good for the health of the batteries, but the cells are so cheap these days, who cares? At around $10 for a pack of four, I'll take the convenience of rapid charging over fears that one of the cells might conk out a year from now.

Life's too short to wait around for 12 hours every week in order to save $2.50 a year from now.
Who cares ? Well, the problem is that it's very hard to tell if any one cell out of a set discharges and the other are still good, especially when you are on the go. If you only carry a single spare set (or 2 spare sets if you have a flash), you might run out of battery due to this problem even if you just recharged your spares. It happened to me. The lesson is to carry more spare sets ...
07-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
happily using rayovac hybrids here.. were cheaper than the eneloops at the time.