Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use for all my travels a garmin hand held GPS, I have had several since I started using gps units for navigation and hiking since 2000. My current unit is an origin 650. I down load garmin compatible maps from open street map,

The GPS stays on every when I travel, and when I get home, I use a program called geosetter to add location to each shot.

Sync is easy as long as you know your cameras time relative to the GPS. I usually set the camera time of all my cameras to the GPS at the start of the trip and leave it at that. The GPS can store track points at rates up to every second.

This has worked for me since I began shooting digital

10-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
It can be a pain in the behind some times as I can crash ExifTool (using GeoSetter or ExiftoolGui) almost at will.
The 'beta' GeoSetter seems to be more stable - it is hidden in the German pages of the GeoSetter website. As for ExifToolGUI - it is a shame that no-one had picked up the maintenance and updates, the ExifTool command line takes me back to days and places I'd rather not revisit
10-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Besides in North America, I also go home to China in my vacation time. Wondering if the Garmin device will work as they don't have maps of Asia for eTrex Vista HCx.
The device will work as a GPS anywhere, with our without maps. You can create and get Garmin format maps in various ways - some of mine were generated from other sources using free software (from OpenStreeMap maybe? can't remember exactly now:-() - but, frankly, though the maps are nice to have if you've got them, I wouldn't oversell them - the screen is tiny for one thing - I'd have to be pretty desperate for it to be my only map:-). I used to use a Bluetooth logger with no screen which was fine too - I just got a bit fed up with flaky connections to my phone and laptop - as always, your mileage may vary
12-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Sync is easy as long as you know your cameras time relative to the GPS. I usually set the camera time of all my cameras to the GPS at the start of the trip and leave it at that. The GPS can store track points at rates up to every second.
Lowell, I've been looking to get a Garmin GPS logger as well to geotag photos for the other cameras I travel with (Pentax Q and K-01). On my last vacation, I downloaded TravelerPro app on my phone, and while it kinda worked, the GPS sometimes goes nuts and thinks I'm one km away, then zips back to my current location, making my trail look like it was for a drunk superhero. I also found that the GPX files it created was based on UTC, and I was having challenges syncing it to all the pictures I got from several people in my travel group, some of whom never changed their time from their local time zone, and others from a K100D which was *gasp* set to default factory time because the battery had been out for too long. But the real con for me though was the fact that it drained my battery like crazy, which was a big no-no.

My question is, do you set your camera time to UTC/GMT time? or do you leave it at the local time zone? I've read different suggestions from different places on the web, with some swearing that it's easier to set everything to UTC. Personally, I would rather have my the time set to the local timezone of where I am taking the pictures, but would love to hear your thoughts, as you have used it extensively yourself. Thanks!

12-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drewski Quote
Lowell, I've been looking to get a Garmin GPS logger as well to geotag photos for the other cameras I travel with (Pentax Q and K-01). On my last vacation, I downloaded TravelerPro app on my phone, and while it kinda worked, the GPS sometimes goes nuts and thinks I'm one km away, then zips back to my current location, making my trail look like it was for a drunk superhero. I also found that the GPX files it created was based on UTC, and I was having challenges syncing it to all the pictures I got from several people in my travel group, some of whom never changed their time from their local time zone, and others from a K100D which was *gasp* set to default factory time because the battery had been out for too long. But the real con for me though was the fact that it drained my battery like crazy, which was a big no-no.

My question is, do you set your camera time to UTC/GMT time? or do you leave it at the local time zone? I've read different suggestions from different places on the web, with some swearing that it's easier to set everything to UTC. Personally, I would rather have my the time set to the local timezone of where I am taking the pictures, but would love to hear your thoughts, as you have used it extensively yourself. Thanks!
Ai use geotagged software and it allows you to make adjustments to account for time zone and minor time offsets in the camera to the GPS. It is pretty easy, the only time I ever had issues was when I had the GPS set to use daylight savings, and the roll over happened during a trip so I had to split the photos up and run multiple batches for the sync. The easy way to do this is simply take a snap of the GPS showing time with your camera,

I have gone running with a. iPod, using it to track my position, but as you noted, the networks it touches have fixed locations that are not specifically on your direct path so yes, it looks like you were drunk. A GPS is more accurate in this manner
12-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Ai use geotagged software and it allows you to make adjustments to account for time zone and minor time offsets in the camera to the GPS. It is pretty easy, the only time I ever had issues was when I had the GPS set to use daylight savings, and the roll over happened during a trip so I had to split the photos up and run multiple batches for the sync. The easy way to do this is simply take a snap of the GPS showing time with your camera,

I have gone running with a. iPod, using it to track my position, but as you noted, the networks it touches have fixed locations that are not specifically on your direct path so yes, it looks like you were drunk. A GPS is more accurate in this manner
Thanks for sharing your thoughts - sounds like setting it to the local time zone would be fine. I would just need to find a good (read: easy) piece of software to do the syncing after the trip.
12-17-2016, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drewski Quote
Thanks for sharing your thoughts - sounds like setting it to the local time zone would be fine. I would just need to find a good (read: easy) piece of software to do the syncing after the trip.
Geosetter is what I use. Freeware