Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Geotagging Options?

Well, this came up to me as I shoot trains a lot, and a question that I feel hard to answer is "where did you shot all these" as sometimes there are no obvious way to describe the places I shot the images. I have been considering geotagging options since I accidentally found the GPS options in my K-S2's menu. However the O-GPS1 module seems to be a bit too expensive even 2nd hand. What other geotagging options do I have? I mainly use SilkyPix now and the software does not seem to have a tagging tool.

Sincerely

09-19-2016, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make a quick snap with your cell phone (gps enabled)

Depending on what program you use and where you post you can then save the geotag to the K-S1 pics.
09-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never done this in this way, however the process is as follows...
  1. Sync the time on your camera with your GPS device
  2. Using an external GPS device have it record a log of your travels - say every 5 minutes.
  3. Take your pictures
  4. On your PC, load the images and the GPS log. Use a software utility that reads your GPS log file, then based on time, determines when each of the pictures were taken, determines based on time where you were, then takes the lat long data and inserts it into the EXIF field of the images
Here are some links...
09-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have never done this in this way, however the process is as follows...
  1. Sync the time on your camera with your GPS device
  2. Using an external GPS device have it record a log of your travels - say every 5 minutes.
  3. Take your pictures
  4. On your PC, load the images and the GPS log. Use a software utility that reads your GPS log file, then based on time, determines when each of the pictures were taken, determines based on time where you were, then takes the lat long data and inserts it into the EXIF field of the images
Here are some links...
Thanks, but I actually want GPS device suggestions. Preferably something that clips onto the hot shoe of my camera. I would not consider my phone as a long term solution due to battery life considerations.

09-19-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Thanks, but I actually want GPS device suggestions. Preferably something that clips onto the hot shoe of my camera. I would not consider my phone as a long term solution due to battery life considerations.
I use a separate gps logger device that just sits in my bag or pocket. Then you map the images to gps locations afterwards based on time stamp in Lightroom. Pretty straight forward.
09-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of methods that require some jumping through hoops. IMHO, just get the O-GPS module and don't look back. Watch the market here or ebay for a second hand one. Any GPS logger you get will not integrate with the images EXIF so you have to do that on the computer, not hard but another step. And the logger will be a significant portion of the O-GPS cost anyway.

I used the O-GPS module for years before I got the K-3II and the K-1 which have GPS built in natively.
09-20-2016, 01:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There really is only one. Pentax uses a hot shoe interface with the O-GPS1 device to acquire position (lat, long, alt), time and direction (compass bearing and elevation) along with some additional quality of signal measurements. They have not published the interface as far as I know - and that would be needed to implement any third party solution. Bottom line, it's the 1) O-GPS1 or ) time correlation with some other GPS device logging data coupled with some PC based software.

09-20-2016, 06:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, this came up to me as I shoot trains a lot, and a question that I feel hard to answer is "where did you shot all these" as sometimes there are no obvious way to describe the places I shot the images. I have been considering geotagging options since I accidentally found the GPS options in my K-S2's menu. However the O-GPS1 module seems to be a bit too expensive even 2nd hand. What other geotagging options do I have?
I have the O-GPS and it's very good at tagging. also, if you ever plan to do astrophotography, its very good for the price. I bought mine both for the astrotracker and gps abilities and it's worth it.
09-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe there is one for sale right now here on MarketPlace.
09-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The module works very well. When fine calibration is enabled, it will even tell you which direction your camera was pointing so you can know what you were shooting. I bought mine for my K5, but now use a K3II and the hotshoe is open for a ring flash module. I haven't quite decided to sell the OGPS yet.
09-21-2016, 08:11 PM   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

Check out Exiftool and GeoSetter. They can be used to geotag your images. ExiftoolGui also works if you go to the Exiftool forum and get the "fix" in the ExifToolGui sub forum. PC only for ExifToolGui, I have no idea if there are equivalents on Apple/Linux.
09-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #12

I know you want a solution with no extra steps, but O-GPS' reliability depends it seems on your camera - with a K5 (or at least mine) it takes a while to 'wake up' so I miss tagging unless I wait a bit (20-30sec?). Also, if you use a bag, something sticking out the top can be less than helpful (again, at least with the ones I have). I use a Garmin eTrex 20 (in bag, or pocket) and sync the camera clock (I'm not obsessive about it - every few months?) which works very reliably (in cars, in buildings surprisingly often). Then sync in Lightroom - it will do it natively these days but I think Jeffrey Friedl's plugin in is better (you'll have to pay at least $0.01 for each new major version of Lightroom - it's worth it:-). It's easily the fastest part of post processing (time not dependent on number of images) and all I lose is direction the camera is pointing, which I can live with. I can download maps to it (OK they're not great), and you get a GPX track. The O-GPS is mainly for occasional astrophotography now.
09-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MostlyHarmless Quote
I know you want a solution with no extra steps, but O-GPS' reliability depends it seems on your camera - with a K5 (or at least mine) it takes a while to 'wake up' so I miss tagging unless I wait a bit (20-30sec?). Also, if you use a bag, something sticking out the top can be less than helpful (again, at least with the ones I have). I use a Garmin eTrex 20 (in bag, or pocket) and sync the camera clock (I'm not obsessive about it - every few months?) which works very reliably (in cars, in buildings surprisingly often). Then sync in Lightroom - it will do it natively these days but I think Jeffrey Friedl's plugin in is better (you'll have to pay at least $0.01 for each new major version of Lightroom - it's worth it:-). It's easily the fastest part of post processing (time not dependent on number of images) and all I lose is direction the camera is pointing, which I can live with. I can download maps to it (OK they're not great), and you get a GPX track. The O-GPS is mainly for occasional astrophotography now.
Besides in North America, I also go home to China in my vacation time. Wondering if the Garmin device will work as they don't have maps of Asia for eTrex Vista HCx.
10-01-2016, 01:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Check out Exiftool and GeoSetter. They can be used to geotag your images. ExiftoolGui also works if you go to the Exiftool forum and get the "fix" in the ExifToolGui sub forum. PC only for ExifToolGui, I have no idea if there are equivalents on Apple/Linux.
+1

I use a little Holux M-241 GPS logger or my mobile phone to capture location data. Then I import the GPX files into GeoSetter and tweak the actual photo locations using the Google satellite overlays, if need be. GeoSetter also lets you adjust any offsets between the GPS and camera clocks and will download elevation data and appropriate time zone values. Having the satellite image overlays or maps makes it very quick and easy - you simply move pins on the map to where they should be. GeoSetter then uses ExifTool to save the location data into your JPEG or RAW files.
10-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
+1

I use a little Holux M-241 GPS logger or my mobile phone to capture location data. Then I import the GPX files into GeoSetter and tweak the actual photo locations using the Google satellite overlays, if need be. GeoSetter also lets you adjust any offsets between the GPS and camera clocks and will download elevation data and appropriate time zone values. Having the satellite image overlays or maps makes it very quick and easy - you simply move pins on the map to where they should be. GeoSetter then uses ExifTool to save the location data into your JPEG or RAW files.
Since ExifToolGui broke due to Google maps changing the interface, I found GeoSetter too. My workflow now is to use GeoSetter to add GPS information into my files (I actually write the information back into the RAW - PEF - files), add copyright (K20D does not have the copyright creation feature) and some other data, These other data are saved in xml files. I open the "modified" ExifToolGui program to add in lens type (manufactures notes to exiflens field) and I will fill out other information such as City, State (Provence in ExifTool land) Country etc. I then make backups of all the PEF files and copy both the RAW and xml data to my primary device and import the images into the appropriate Capture One catalogue.

It can be a pain in the behind some times as I can crash ExifTool (using GeoSetter or ExiftoolGui) almost at will. However, the DAM tools I use are much easier to get along with since the lens/location information is embedded in the majority of the files I am work with. I was hoping that Pentax was going to come out with a refreshed K3-ii for my long trip through Europe next year, but I guess I will wait until early next year to buy a K3-ii. I am not interested in a K-1 since the majority of my lenses are APS-C and shooting with a <snark> HUGE increase of 0.5 megapixels over my K20D's 14.6 </snark> and eight years in the waiting, is just not worth it.