Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 02:01 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I have a few backpacks that is very good for photography. But if you dont know to use them the right way..thats a different story
Often the opportunity for a great photo is fleeting, and gone in an instant.
Gear stowed on your back is never at the ready for a quick shot.
Practically any other type of bag would be faster.

Not to mention how ridiculous backpacks look...

Chris

09-29-2016, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
But any other type of bag is a tremendous hindrance for hiking.

However, a backpack can be coupled with a system such as the Op/tech slings and clips. I use such a system, when I have clips on the front straps, where I can attach the camera. And a lens pouch on the hips means I have access to two lenses in a pinch.

There is also a difference between a quick shot and a carefully planned picture. When I hike a long distance, it's not to quickly grab a snapshot, but to make a true image.

Not to mention how ridiculous backpacks look
Now I don't follow at all.

Respectfully, your post has not helped anyone in this thread.
09-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
But any other type of bag is a tremendous hindrance for hiking.

However, a backpack can be coupled with a system such as the Op/tech slings and clips. I use such a system, when I have clips on the front straps, where I can attach the camera. And a lens pouch on the hips means I have access to two lenses in a pinch.
This is what I had in mind. While hiking, the camera will be on a sling. The bag will be used for carrying spare lenses and supplies.

The only time the camera will stay in the bag will when i'm traveling through airports and traveling to various parts of the country....and if it starts to rain (not all my lenses have WR).
09-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Often the opportunity for a great photo is fleeting, and gone in an instant.

Not to mention how ridiculous backpacks look...

Chris
It just depends what you want to do. When I go out and take long lenses, a bag can easily weigh 13kg (or 26lbs). And try to hike for miles with that on your shoulder. It ain't fun. A backpack is the only way to go.
Further more, clik elite and f-stop have a system that you can attached a holster style bag to the front. So you will have the backpack on your back, but the holster on your chest. With the camera ready to go. When looking at the new clik elite bags, they have even intergrated a system which supports you camera out of any bag. So it is really ready to go.

and yes, when I am out hiking and taking photo's, it is always on my mind. How ridiulous I look

Last edited by Macario; 09-29-2016 at 02:16 PM.
09-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #20
Pentaxian

+1 for Clik Elite backpacks. I have a Venture 30 and I find it comfortable, well-made and well-designed. (EDIT: I use it in conjunction with a Peak Design Capture Pro clip if/when I need the camera to be available on short notice.)

Last edited by Doundounba; 09-29-2016 at 03:38 PM.
09-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
and yes, when I am out hiking and taking photo's, it is always on my mind. How ridiculous I look
Fair enough, but when I can finally get around and pass you on the trail know I'm smiling for a reason.

And please be careful in town e.g. standing in line at Starbucks with that backpack.
I've seen the backpack crowd whack the coffee right out of the hands of the person behind them.

There is also a difference between a quick shot and a carefully planned picture.
When I hike a long distance, it's not to quickly grab a snapshot, but to make a true image.
"To make a true image"? Thanks, that's classic! Gotta remember that one...

Why, because I disagree with you and dislike your favored method for hauling way too much gear?
Others may be open-minded enough to consider some more practical alternative to a backpack.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 09-30-2016 at 01:44 AM.
09-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Backpacks are good for backpacking. For photography not so much...
Backpacks are quite useful for sometimes lugging and protecting your gear. It's a simple, practical requirement. Hardly worth arguing about.

09-30-2016, 05:13 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

"True" was too strong a word, granted. But I'm sure that once you put down your sarcasm loudspeaker, you'll understand how I meant to oppose snapshots and photography.

Why, because I disagree with you and dislike your favored method for hauling way too much gear?
Others may be open-minded enough to consider some more practical alternative to a backpack.
Person A asks for backpack recommendations.

Person B offers advice.

Person C, D, E, etc do the same.

Person H barges in and says backpacks suck. And offers no replacement solution. And passes judgment on others.

Person H is surprised that people don't enjoy it?
09-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When the OP requests suggestions for a "backpack" type of bag, why do you ridicule them, as "how ridiculous they look"?

Each to his own, snide remarks aside; I have two backpack camera bags that I absolutely love for carrying extra lenses, etc., with my camera on a strap ready for use. I frankly do not care in the least as to whether someone likes/hates how I look; I'm there for photography, not for a fashion show.

To the OP, check out the Tamrac backpacks, they are very nice, and available in different sizes.
09-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Fair enough, but when I can finally get around and pass you on the trail know I'm smiling for a reason.

And please be careful in town e.g. standing in line at Starbucks with that backpack.
I've seen the backpack crowd whack the coffee right out of the hands of the person behind them.

Chris
When I go Hiking, I am not really concerned about whacking coffee out of somebody's hand, (first of all, you won't find me dead in a starbucks), because I am out hiking, I am not out in town. If I would go out in town, I would have a shoulder bag with minimal gear. When I go hiking, I need a backpack for a reason. But that reason is lost on you I guess
09-30-2016, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Originally posted by bdery

Chris
You are welcome to disagree but you aren't offering any alternative suggestions. That's how you aren't helping.

On a serious hike (several hours or more) I take a hiking or backpacking pack with my gear in an insert or in neoprene wraps. For shorter hikes, I'll take a Lowepro Slingshot.
I use a Black Rapid Sport strap to wear a camera I might want to grab quick shots with.
The wildlife haven't made fun of how I look that I'm aware of.
09-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did suggest an alternative: Anything else.
Well, except maybe a photo vest. Don't get me started on those!

A well-designed shoulder bag, such as those made by Domke, will work equally well on a hike as in town.
It is important to keep your gear to a minimum (i.e. essentials only).
IMO that's a lesson the backpack crowd sorely needs to learn!

Chris
10-01-2016, 02:30 AM   #28

why not take a look at something from Mindshift Gear.

Sent fra min LG-H850 via Tapatalk
10-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMO that's a lesson the backpack crowd sorely needs to learn!
Really? What is it about the "backpack" crowd, that makes you think your way of carrying gear should be our way also? It's one thing to make suggestions; but to make sarcastic remarks about the gear others use, or may purchase is not very helpful, nor friendly!

We all buy, use gear to suit OUR needs, not yours. A shoulder bag for me, would not work at all! Yes, I have had several of them. One brand new one is sitting in my shed because it doesn't work for my needs! I prefer my 2 backpack bags, and am considering getting a third one for home that will hold all my gear! Sorry if my needs don't fit into your perfect world, but that's why we are all individuals, with individual tastes, and needs.

Oh, I also have a photo vest also! I've been in photography for 60 years, so by now I know what works for ME; and really don't care if it doesn't fit what others use.

Last edited by csa; 10-01-2016 at 07:52 AM.
10-01-2016, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

I kind of hate to admit it now but I have no particular fondness for backpacks...photographic or otherwise

for high mileage, all-day walking there aren't a lot of alternatives

as for slung cameras...nope not a fan

for full disclosure I have a tamrac evolution 6...it's well built, practical and it does exactly what it was designed to do
the only thing I've done to it is add straps to carry my dolica to the bottom of the back
I really hate humping the darn thing

normally for a long excursion I use a medium sized lumbar pack or a soft daypack/ruck/book bag
I wrap up my spare stuff in something weather resistant
however my camera and primary lens go into a holster that attaches to d-rings on the pack straps or is worn over my shoulder

I have a very old tamrac and a newer clik
the clik is a great bag but too rigid and bulky when it is hanging over my chest

like most things it comes down to personal preference
all this gear has its own set of quirks
so you really have to try this stuff out before you commit to it

good luck