Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #46
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As rbrosius mentioned, I think that Manfrotto also has a lot of good bags and backpacks.
Camera Bags and Cases for Photography | Manfrotto - Yes - Yes, Storage for personal items Yes , Tripod Connection Yes

10-05-2016, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
Let me know how that works out for you.
The Sedona 45 arrived. First impressions:

- looks smaller than I assumed it would be, narrower too;
- all those dangling straps, handles, loops! Good attachment/carrying options for bottles, tripod, hiking tent etc;
- doesn't look like a camera bag;
- a very light bag (only 1.1kg);
- certainly not a heavy-duty bag - bag material feels thin, not 1 gram of metal in the whole bag, including zippers/clips. Probably a trade off for weight.
- weather resistance probably OK, top and front zips rain proof;
- not a lot of padding for gear protection, except in the removable camera pod in the bottom of the bag;
- rides OK on the shoulders with a light test load, hip padding is nice, waist strap too thin, shoulder straps could be wider, rear padding is thick and firm, probably will have good breathability;
- when the the padded divider between the top and bottom parts of the bag is removed, bag becomes floppier and even less camera-bag like.

I'll have to take it out for a day hike or two to get a real feel for it, but it seems OK for what I wanted. I got it relatively cheap (AUD $89), so it's good for what I paid, but I probably wouldn't pay more for it.
10-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it doesn't work out for you size wise, remember there's a Sedona 51.

10-06-2016, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

I was just in B&H and bought a Manfrotto Off Road Hiker 30L backpack. I compared multiple bags and it was a close choice between the Hiker and Vanguard Sedona 51.

Summarizing the 2 bags, the Manfrotto Hiker 30L feels like a day hiking bag with photography features added, while the Vanguard Sedona 51 is more of a camera bag with hiking features added. The key difference for me was the Hiker has a rigid back while the Sedona felt soft and floppy:
  • Hiker keeps its shape regardless how its loaded. That's more comfortable for hiking.
  • Hiker has a mesh that goes against your back, then air space, then the rigid back. This provides ventilation for a less sweaty back.
  • Note that the rigid back means Hiker cannot be folded and compressed into luggage when empty. If traveling by plane make Hiker your carry-on. I think it's small enough for carry-on but check airline requirements.
Addressing the original points from @serothis at the top of this thread:
  • Space for k-1 + lens + 1-2 spare lenses; flash (yongnuo 560 III); Both bags should fit that, but Sedona has more camera space than Hiker. What lenses do you want to bring? And why flash on a hike?
  • Compartment for non-camera gear. Both bags have a compartment above the camera section (plus smaller storage pockets). Hiker has a larger compartment.
  • Storage for tripod (Dolica TX570DS) and a water bottle. I think that's a small-ish travel tripod. You have multiple mounting points for a tripod with either bag. Both bags are good for small tripods, but Sedona has better mounting options for large tripods.
  • Some way to attach/store a rain coat (nice to have but not required). A small coat can store inside. If you take it off while it's still wet you can find a place to let it dry on the outside of either bag.
  • Water resistance is a plus. Both bags have rain covers inside that can be pulled over. Hiker seems more rainproof because it has a large flap covering the top. A light rain will run off the top of Hiker, while Sedona has a zipper on top that needs the rain cover sooner.
  • Discretion is also a plus. Something that doesn't scream "ˇˇexpensive camera gear inside!!" The Sedona looks like a cheaper bag and is less obvious.

10-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I was just in B&H and bought a Manfrotto Off Road Hiker 30L backpack. I compared multiple bags and it was a close choice between the Hiker and Vanguard Sedona 51.

Summarizing the 2 bags, the Manfrotto Hiker 30L feels like a day hiking bag with photography features added, while the Vanguard Sedona 51 is more of a camera bag with hiking features added. The key difference for me was the Hiker has a rigid back while the Sedona felt soft and floppy:
  • Hiker keeps its shape regardless how its loaded. That's more comfortable for hiking.
  • Hiker has a mesh that goes against your back, then air space, then the rigid back. This provides ventilation for a less sweaty back.
  • Note that the rigid back means Hiker cannot be folded and compressed into luggage when empty. If traveling by plane make Hiker your carry-on. I think it's small enough for carry-on but check airline requirements.
Thanks for the thoughts.

QuoteQuote:
Addressing the original points from @serothis at the top of this thread:
  • Space for k-1 + lens + 1-2 spare lenses; flash (yongnuo 560 III); Both bags should fit that, but Sedona has more camera space than Hiker. What lenses do you want to bring? And why flash on a hike?
The list of lenses I want to take is growing. However ,for the actual hike, I have a my Sigma 85mm (I might leave this at home) and DFA 100 macro. I'm stalking a FA* 24mm on ebay and I don't yet have a solution for long telephoto but I might pick up a cheap used one for the trip.

For the flash, I'll be traveling with a fried so occasional portrait shots will be done. I'm also hoping to come accross lots of interesting bugs and animals that might not want to sit still for a long tripod setup/exposure.

QuoteQuote:
  • Compartment for non-camera gear. Both bags have a compartment above the camera section (plus smaller storage pockets). Hiker has a larger compartment.
  • Storage for tripod (Dolica TX570DS) and a water bottle. I think that's a small-ish travel tripod. You have multiple mounting points for a tripod with either bag. Both bags are good for small tripods, but Sedona has better mounting options for large tripods.
  • Some way to attach/store a rain coat (nice to have but not required). A small coat can store inside. If you take it off while it's still wet you can find a place to let it dry on the outside of either bag.
  • Water resistance is a plus. Both bags have rain covers inside that can be pulled over. Hiker seems more rainproof because it has a large flap covering the top. A light rain will run off the top of Hiker, while Sedona has a zipper on top that needs the rain cover sooner.
  • Discretion is also a plus. Something that doesn't scream "ˇˇexpensive camera gear inside!!" The Sedona looks like a cheaper bag and is less obvious.
Again thank you for the insight.
10-07-2016, 05:18 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I was just in B&H and bought a Manfrotto Off Road Hiker 30L backpack.
That's a nice looking bag, the first photo bag I see with a mesh back.

Is there room for a water bladder?

The setup looks a lot like what I use (regular hiking bag with insert) except that the opening is on the side instead of the front. Also, I can store more items but not a long lens in the insert.

Nice find!
10-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
...Is there room for a water bladder?...
The Manfrotto Hiker 30L doesn't have a dedicated pouch for a large water bladder. There are 2 thin pockets outside the bag that don't seem intended for water: one could hold a wide bag but it would have to be thin, the other could fit a thicker bag but it would have to be narrow. My yet to be field-tested water plan is a bottle in the side net, and Vapur Element Water Bottle - 24 fl. oz. - REI.com clipped outside the backpack or onto my belt.

10-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would buy a backpacking pack, then like Matt B get inserts/ some kind of holder to go inside. A peak design clip is handy too.
10-17-2016, 06:57 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I would buy a backpacking pack, then like Matt B get inserts/ some kind of holder to go inside. A peak design clip is handy too.
That's what I always recommend also.
10-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #55
Veteran Member

The OP should look into the Clik Elite backpacks. I am surprised mattb hasn't invested in a Clik Elite pack as their packs are first and foremost ergonomically designed as a serious hiking backpack that are designed to carry photographic gear.

I have tried many backpacks from Lowepro to Tenba etc. I have access to B&H were they have every major brand on display. None come close to the ergonomics of the Clik Elite packs simply because Clik Elite packs are designed to be worn comfortably like a hiking pack that distributes the weight properly like a hiking pack should.

Sadly Clik Elite has for now discontinued their Compact Sport and Probody Sport line of bags. B&H still has the gray Probody Sport for $90. If anyone is looking for a small backpack there isn't a better pack on the market than the Probody Sport especially at $90.
10-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The OP should look into the Clik Elite backpacks. I am surprised mattb hasn't invested in a Clik Elite pack as their packs are first and foremost ergonomically designed as a serious hiking backpack that are designed to carry photographic gear.

I have tried many backpacks from Lowepro to Tenba etc. I have access to B&H were they have every major brand on display. None come close to the ergonomics of the Clik Elite packs simply because Clik Elite packs are designed to be worn comfortably like a hiking pack that distributes the weight properly like a hiking pack should.

Sadly Clik Elite has for now discontinued their Compact Sport and Probody Sport line of bags. B&H still has the gray Probody Sport for $90. If anyone is looking for a small backpack there isn't a better pack on the market than the Probody Sport especially at $90.
I had one briefly and sent it back. It was too big and I decided I'd rather bring select camera gear and all my outdoors stuff than all my camera gear and selected outdoors stuff.
I also have their chest pack and found it bulky and cumbersome skiing. But I know folks love them, I just haven't been able to fit one into how I like to travel in the backcountry.

That does sound like a great deal.
10-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #57

this crumpler bag is great. I used it for hiking/carting my K-50 and lenses through the snow in japan, and the forest of yakushima island. it has a hidden compartment with a rain cover, waist and chest straps so it doesnt move around much. and many pouches for different things. has side straps for tripods/water bottles.

also i liked that the camera sections is opened from the back. so if your wearing it it's inaccessible to theives.

it's expensive but the build quality is excellent.

KARACHI OUTPOST (L) - Camera Travel Backpack | Crumpler
10-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the two Crumpler shoulder bags I have. Very well made and good designs. I imagine that pack is similar.