Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2016, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I did suggest an alternative: Anything else.
Well, except maybe a photo vest. Don't get me started on those!

A well-designed shoulder bag, such as those made by Domke, will work equally well on a hike as in town.
It is important to keep your gear to a minimum (i.e. essentials only).
IMO that's a lesson the backpack crowd sorely needs to learn!

Chris
yyes gear to a minumum, essentials only. Now we go on a hike for a full day. it is aprox 90ºF. so you will need 3-4L of water (at a minimum)(which is 3-4kg). You will take dslr and you want to photograph wildlife. There will be a 70-200 in you bag. together 2kg. But to be sure you can get it in case it is far away (it is wildlife, they do what they want) you will also take lets say 150-400 and a 1.4 converter. another 2kg. But since wildlife doesn't always show up, there will be a prime or two (or zoom ) in the bag. well, another 1-2kg. in total you already are at 10kg aprox.
Then there is a tripod, food, maybe some extra clothes. It might be warm now, but in mountainous terrain it might cool off quick.. Oh and you need to eat to. So add another 4 kg for good measure.

Good luck lugging it around on your shoulder.

10-01-2016, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, except maybe a photo vest. Don't get me started on those!

A well-designed shoulder bag, such as those made by Domke, will work equally well on a hike as in town.
It is important to keep your gear to a minimum (i.e. essentials only).
IMO that's a lesson the backpack crowd sorely needs to learn!

Chris
I agree for urban adventures but in the wilderness the backpack (and sling) is ideal, even if it's not just so you can bring more. It carries better for long distances. I also love my little Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home with a K-S2 and three Limited primes for stuff closer to civilization.
10-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DDE1VSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WH86BQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon.com : Pelican Products 0S1300-0003-110 Sport Elite Backpack for Camera/Laptop, Black : Laptop Computer Backpacks : Camera & Photo

https://www.amazon.com/Abonnyc-DRLBP-CZ-Waterproof-Anti-shock-Backpack/dp/B0...amera+backpack

https://www.amazon.com/Caden-Shoulder-Backpack-Rucksack-Waterproof/dp/B00E5I...amera+backpack

You have a lot of stuff but the first bag I would highly recommend for smaller outings. I can fit my K3, 3 to 5 lenses & the 201 flash. With the shoulder strap and waistbelt it's great for hiking.

---------- Post added 10-01-16 at 21:18 ----------

make some real images.
That's a whole 'nother story. If I could only make photos half as nice as the gear.

Last edited by brightseal; 10-01-2016 at 06:16 PM.
10-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Alright gang, let's go out and take some photos - er, I mean make some true images. Got everything?"

Chris

10-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #35
Veteran Member

FWIW, all this backpack talk prompted me to order this Vanguard Sedona 45 backpack. I wanted something that was not expensive, not too big, was also optionally top loading, and didn't look like a camera backpack. Should arrive in a day or two.

10-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I would go either with a Clik elite bag or a F-stop bag if you reaaly want to hike. Both fantastic build quality. And both really made for the adventurous photographers.
Which one? Well, depends on which you prefer. Both are excellent. But I have clik elite bags, just because they fit me better than the F-stop bags.
Clik Elite Luminous 42L Camera Backpack (Red) CE630RE B&H Photo
Clik Elite Contrejour 35 Camera & Tablet Backpack CE621BL
Clik Elite | B&H Photo Video
Clik Elite Camera Backpacks | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama

Just f-stop bags are difficult to get a hold on at the moment (people report)

Even though I have an f-stop loka that is think is an absolutely fantastic pack to take into the backcountry, I would stay away from f-stop today.

Their packs are 2-5x the op's budget and the current lead times seem to be months going on years and his trip is in December.
10-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I... A well-designed shoulder bag, such as those made by Domke, will work equally well on a hike as in town...
Hike with a shoulder bag? The OP asked about all-day hiking in Costa Rica. A backpack is much more stable than a shoulder bag when ascending and descending uneven ground.

10-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
FWIW, all this backpack talk prompted me to order this Vanguard Sedona 45 backpack. I wanted something that was not expensive, not too big, was also optionally top loading, and didn't look like a camera backpack. Should arrive in a day or two.
Let me know how that works out for you. That's one that has been at the top of my list since vanguard was suggested. The only concern I had with that bag was the buckles looks kind of flimsy.

QuoteOriginally posted by ckelly49 Quote
Even though I have an f-stop loka that is think is an absolutely fantastic pack to take into the backcountry, I would stay away from f-stop today.

Their packs are 2-5x the op's budget and the current lead times seem to be months going on years and his trip is in December.
I've more or less given up on the budget. (i'll probably update the OP). I figure you get what you pay for.

I visited REI today and I found a lowepro bag (150 hatchback AW, I think) and found that although it's very nice bag, it's way smaller then I expected and too small for what I need. Anything that fits might needs is going way over the original budget.

Last edited by serothis; 10-02-2016 at 06:50 PM.
10-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
Let me know how that works out for you.
Will do. I found this YouTube video about the Sedona 45 useful in evaluating the bag, because I also have an interest in carrying around long lenses sometimes, and the Sedona 45 was able to handle that task pretty well.

10-03-2016, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

I take it you've never been hiking.

Never had to carry food, spare clothes, water. Never had to climb above rocks, walk around trees, duck beneath tree branches, navigate difficult paths. Never had to distribute weight on your body so you can walk for hours or days.

Or maybe, contrary to what all physiotherapist think, you feel it's ok to hang all that weight on one shoulder?

Maybe you're the only person in the world who has understood how things SHOULD be done. The rest of the planet had it wrong all this time!

"Alright gang, let's go out and take some photos - er, I mean make some true images. Got everything?"
You, sir, are thickheaded. Or a smartmouth. Or both. In any case, you have now been ignored.
10-03-2016, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of you are going on day hikes and bringing your whole camera outfit, everything but the kitchen sink.
It's seems odd that one would purchase a miniature format camera yet willingly burden themselves with a full pack of gear.
It has been a hard lesson learned in my 40+ years of photography that one should always travel light.

Chris

P.S. FWIW I've been on countless day hikes as well as week-long backpacking trips.
I was scrambling up a trail with an external frame pack likely before you were born.
10-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ChrisPlatt

We get it. You don't like backpacks. That's fine. But that's what I'm looking for. That's what I feel will best suit my needs. And that's why I came here asking for help. Lots of people have made some very helpful, specific suggestions. A suggestion of "Anything else" is like saying 1+1 = a number. Not a useful or reasonable answer. All you've done is stirred up bickering.

Please stop derailing this thread.

If you want to talk about which kind of bag has suited your needs the best there's a thread just for that.
10-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #43

Photos: Albums
I went to Costa Rica last year and love my manfrotto off road 30l bag! I use it all of the time whether hiking or just out and about.
10-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Most of you are going on day hikes and bringing your whole camera outfit, everything but the kitchen sink.
It's seems odd that one would purchase a miniature format camera yet willingly burden themselves with a full pack of gear.
It has been a hard lesson learned in my 40+ years of photography that one should always travel light.

Chris

P.S. FWIW I've been on countless day hikes as well as week-long backpacking trips.
I was scrambling up a trail with an external frame pack likely before you were born.
@ChrisPlatt Thank you for your advice on this in this thread, numerous times. But if I could now perhaps bring this thread back ontopic, the OP asked for suggestions specifically for a "backpack style camera bag", and however mistaken or misinformed you might think this request to be, this is the choice he's made, and this is what he's asking for advice on. So let's keep it civil and answer his question, please.

Thank you

Last edited by Nass; 10-04-2016 at 07:41 AM.
10-04-2016, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
My hunt for a travel pack has begun.

I'm traveling to Costa Rica in December and I'm looking for a backpack style camera bag for a full day of hiking. I'm looking for advise from you wily veterans.

Features I need/want:
  • Space for k-1 + lens + 1-2 spare lenses; flash (yongnuo 560 III);
  • Compartment for non-camera gear.
  • Storage for tripod (Dolica TX570DS) and a water bottle.
  • Some way to attach/store a rain coat (nice to have but not required).
  • Water resistance is a plus.
  • Discretion is also a plus. Something that doesn't scream "¡¡expensive camera gear inside!!"

My top two candidates are the Lowepro fastpack 150 AW II and the Nat Geo W5070.

My concern with the Lowepro bag is that it can't do both a tripod and water bottle. It's one or the other. And I'm not sure where I could put my raincoat.

My concern with the nat geo bag is that it has long since gone out of production and all I can find are (I suspect) chinese knock-offs.

I'd like to keep it under $100 but there's wiggle room in the budget. Budget be damned! Do you guys/gals have any other recommendations?
Not sure if you can get this where you are, but I have one of these and I find it to work exceedingly well: Fotorucksack Foto Rucksack XXL Kingkong 40 Hohe Qualität Sensationelles Design | eBay

How about the Fancier Kingkong 40? I suspect this is some Chinese make, but it's well made and ticks all the boxes. I can carry my K-5, with battery grip and up to 8 lenses.

Their smaller models, the Kingkong 20 and Kingkong 30 may be better for you size wise. There is a separate compartment for small stuff and a semi-separate compartment that will take an item of clothing, etc. There's also a sleeve for a laptop and the whole thing is not only water resistant, but comes complete with a built-in rain cover too.

Because it's not a well known make, it does not shout "camera bag". There's space for a tripod but, to attach a water bottle you'll need a water bottle of a specific design. I have carried a water bottle inside mine, on the one side, on long hikes. It's comfortable on long hikes due to the waist strap option, and the best part is that the design allows you to get your camera out without having to remove the backpack entirely. You just slip off the one shoulder strap, swing the bag around to your front and extract the camera from one of the semi-hidden side access flaps. The design is identical left and right, so this works equally well whether you're righthanded or lefthanded.

The different compartments are all size adjustable, so you have complete flexibility as to configuration. The only negative I have is that, if you size the compartments too loose for a particular lens, then on a long offroad hike with some bouncing around, a lens not securely held in a compartment can slip out of that compartment and into a neighbouring compartment. But, that's easily solved by adding some padding around a lens, if need be, and by adjusting the compartments properly.

There's a mesh back, but no rigid frame like a true hiking pack. I have found the mesh back helps keep you cool on hot days and the pack is comfortable, even on a demanding 8-hour serious off-road walk.