Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Remote shutter release problem

I just purchased a remote control shutter release for my K100D super and it doesn't seem to work all the time. Under Fn, it is set to remote control, AF in remote control is set to on. Sometimes it fires OK but sometimes it does nothing. When set to 3 sec delay, nothing happens. It will usually fire if I point it right at the flashing red light on the front of the camera.
Is this a bad unit or have I missed something in my camera's settings.

Thanks, Susan

07-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try with AF set to off. I'm just guesing here. I have never had an issue and use manual focus when I use the remote.
07-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply Ole, I changed the setting and there is no difference. Am I wrong in thinking that you can stand behind the camera and use the release or does it have to be line of site? Works if I am standing on the right side of the camera or directly in front of it but not if I am behind it or on the left of the lens.
Thanks again, Susan
07-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi Susan

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
Am I wrong in thinking that you can stand behind the camera and use the release or does it have to be line of site? Works if I am standing on the right side of the camera or directly in front of it but not if I am behind it or on the left of the lens.
I don't actually own a K100D Super myself, but I'm pretty certain that you have to trigger the camera's remote sensor by aiming your remote-control device directly (or at least within a minimum specified angle) at the sensor (i.e. line-of-sight). The more expensive K10D/K20D DSLR bodies have an infra-red sensor on both the front AND rear of the camera body, which would have made life a great deal easier for a you in this situation ! Simple answer.....
UPGRADE $$$$$.....LOL !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 07-25-2008 at 03:27 PM.
07-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You do actually have to make sure the beam gets to the camera for it to work. If you're out on the field or in an open space, you will have to aim at the front of the camera. If you're in a room, chances are you can bounce the signal from a wall, mirror, even a TV screen or picture frame.

Just make sure your remote has new batteries and that you're close enough. After all, most remotes are just not powerful enough to go too far and a nearly dead battery will make it worse.

Also, don't expect the IR to work all that great under full sun, or if the sensor is getting hit by direct sunlight.
07-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Susan

Simple answer.....
UPGRADE $$$$$.....LOL !

Best regards
Richard
Thanks Richard and everyone else for their responses. Now, if each of you would send a small (I mean large) check with your response, I will take advantage of Richard's suggestion and upgrade.
Susan
07-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A donation is currently being evaluated by the finace team.

I was also going to offer the battery suggestion as well as outside in strong sunlight. Replace the battery with a good name brand and try it indoors first within about 15 feet, then try outside and see if there is much diffference.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-28-2008 at 09:35 AM.
07-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
A donation is currently being evaluated by the finace team.

I was also going to offer the battery suggestion as well as outside in strong sunlight. Replace the battery with a good name brand and try it indoors first withing about 15 feet, then try outside and see if there is much diffference.
Peter, Let's hurry the finance committee along.
The remote is the tiny one that doesn't have batteries you change yourself. I did a search on the forum (should have done that first) and I'm pretty sure you have to be in line with the sensor.
Thanks again all.

07-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #9

maybe you should try getting one of those rf wireless shutters
no need for line of sight, and the range is far greater, and you can do long exposures and normal timed shots without needing to change the drive mode in the camera

a lot cheaper than upgrading the body

dave
07-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Susan,

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks Richard and everyone else for their responses. Now, if each of you would send a small (I mean large) check with your response, I will take advantage of Richard's suggestion and upgrade.
Susan
You do not have to go to the expense of a new camera ! There are much cheaper solutions.

I have a K200D which only has an IR sensor in the front.

I use an IR reflector combined with a lens leash.

This will allow you to trigger shutter release from behind the camera.

A lens leash (type 2, with elastic) costs $1.99 at Ritz Camera.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/221661119.htm

They show out of stock right now online, but go to your local Ritz camera and ask for it. I got some for all 4 of my lenses.

I got my IR reflector with my IR remote direct from china on ebay.
10M Remote control for Pentax K10D K200D K20D GX-20 E F - eBay (item 360055874175 end time May-29-08 03:39:31 PDT)

Cost of the remote with shipping : $8.98

You can thank me by sending me the amount of your K10D/K20D fund that you won't need to spend
07-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Susan,

You can thank me by sending me the amount of your K10D/K20D fund that you won't need to spend
Madbrain, I know where you got your name from. I am keeping all the money Peter has gotten for me and spending it on the K30D (bound to be one).
Thanks for the other suggestions though. Susan