Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #1

Polarizer Brands?

Well, I am heading out to the balloon festival tomorrow, and was thinking about getting a polarizer to fit my new FA 300* 4.5 as I imagine what I am shooting will be up in the cloads.

I see sunpak being sold at circuit city/best buy

is this a good brand, should I avoid it and if so what brands should I look for?

Thansk for your help in advance :-)

07-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Best brand polarizer I've used is Rodenstock. Great solid build and you can put the lens cap on the filter but it will run your about $150...I have a Hoya HMC one and it smudges a lot plus the glass can begins to get loose if you turn it too much though it's only like $80 and its a good filter otherwise.
07-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is another topic I researched the heck out of. Now you've forced me to write up an entire article on polarizers at the Theatre Of Noise. Hope it's helpful!
07-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #4

That's a great article. I never knew about step up rings...that's gonna save a ton of money and will forgo the need to carry filters of multiple sizes.

07-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CJSpangler Quote
Well, I am heading out to the balloon festival tomorrow, and was thinking about getting a polarizer to fit my new FA 300* 4.5 as I imagine what I am shooting will be up in the cloads.

I see sunpak being sold at circuit city/best buy

is this a good brand, should I avoid it and if so what brands should I look for?

Thansk for your help in advance :-)
The general advise on polarizers, is that you buy the best you can afford.
I work with two different polarizers a round of circular ones to that matches the lens filter size of my lenses In terms of brands I would go with one from either B+W, Heliopan or Singh ray.
Rule for the former two is to go with one that is at least MRC and if you are up for it Kaesemann MRC.
Personally the B+W circular Kaeseman MRC is the preferred choice, becasue if I am to stick a polarizer in front of an expesive lens, then I want it to be a good quality one.
for my landscape work I almost always use a cokin type Linear polarizer, still Kaesemann and multicoated, but my landscape work is manual focus anyway so no need for a circular one. the cokin type, works in a holder that will hold ND and grad ND filters at the same time and allow me to fit a hood as well. I have adaptor rings to make it fit various lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
This is another topic I researched the heck out of. Now you've forced me to write up an entire article on polarizers at the Theatre Of Noise. Hope it's helpful!
A good article.
As an option to the step up ring solution, you could add a cokin type single sloth adaptor, a large polarizer and cokins square hood system.
The hood sytem will allow you to add hood elements to ensure optimal lens hood performance at the focal length you are working.
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 77mm rubber hood I got for in front of the polariser vignettes on the DA16-45. So much for that!
07-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The 77mm rubber hood I got for in front of the polariser vignettes on the DA16-45. So much for that!
See my suggestion above

07-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh yes, I used Cokin back in my film days. Good when needing multiple filters. Bit too fiddly for me now I want to use just one.
08-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #9

Original Poster
decided to go with the multicoated rodenstock, got the UV and the circ polarizer, ill let you know how I like them, also ordered a non MC Hoya 49mm to fit the 24mm and the 50mm i have.

the 67mm for the 300 FA* will also fit the DA*50-135 which is on my shopping list, so I can see some dual usage out of the filters which will be nice.