Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New Toys and Photo issues

So today I get to pickup my new toys from HVstar.net. A UV filter, Circular Polarizer, x8 ND filter (not in pic), a no-name ND grad filter, ND grad filter holder, lens cleaner pen, and a remote.

I also bought a tiffen bag that is SUPPOSED to be holding filters but it wont close properly with the filters on their boxes. Is it realistic to put filters in a cloth bag without any other protection? I feel cheated on this one but it was cheap so I dont really mind. Luckily all the filter seems to fit perfectly in my (unused) bag that comes with my 15$ binoculars =)

The lens pen have two ends, one brush end and the other spongy end. Any advice against / for this device? Using it today I can see how handy it is to clean lenses and filters.

So I took them for a spin right after picking them up I find polarizers really nice, really increased the contrast despite the sun blaring above my head.

1/320 sec : f / 5.6

THIS, though, I did not expect (see first pic). I used polarizer, ND grad, and ND filters together and the result is this red cast in the sky. I suspect this is because of the cheap ND grad filter + together with the longish exposure time

1/13 sec : f / 7.1

if I use the ND grad filter only though, it seems like the cast is acceptable, but you can still see red there.

1/40 sec : f / 9.0

Does anyone have experience with cheap ND grads that gives a red cast? I guess I should try it some more before deciding that it's the culprit, but since the other filters are supposed to be genuine...

Last edited by Andi Lo; 07-25-2008 at 08:11 PM.
07-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow, what happened to the focus on the first three shots?

The plane shot looks good.

Fourth has color cloud problem as you say.

Last looks over-exposed.

I would level the horizons...
07-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The room was dark and I was using the 50-200 kit lens under the minimum focusing range (should've changed lenses), on high ISO for handholding, overcropped, and I think I still have the polzrizer on it. And the results does look horrible. Next time I'll just use a P&S for quick shots like those.

I'll probably come back again and try to recompose the shots (not really happy with those but it shows the problem well). and try to have the horizons more level.
07-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for your outdoor photos. They are the best proof of waht cheap filters can do. Instead of ND, you got a colour effect filter. Nice, but certainly not, what one would expect.

Does the ND affect sharpness, when you go down to pixel peeping?

Even the original Cokins are not that bad…

Ben

07-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I got a few cheap ND's (no name) A series grads in an auction lot some months ago. They did the same thing and don't do nearly as well holding the correct colours as my Cokin ones. Cokin or Singh Ray filters are much better and worth the extra $$.