Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Product info here; Pentax Lens Case S80-120 (Soft) 33924 B&H Photo Video!

Shows a fit for a 645 lens as well as k-mount lenses. It's really just a question of dimensions and if Pentax wanted to do something a bit more special, like the leather pouches for some of their Limited lenses. I've never actually handled one of that style of Pentax lens case, they always looked a little weird to me, but if the price is right and your lens fits...
Yup, for my 18-135. $24.95 & $6 shipping for used on the Bay, $34.95 free shipping (if I buy more stuff) from B&H.

10-03-2016, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I only use a pouch for very small lenses (DA 15, FA 43) that are prone to roll/bounce inside a compartment. Larger lenses that fill a compartment don't need a pouch.

Yes, I could reconfigure the velcro dividers in my bag to accommodate small lenses, but then that's wasted space when I'm not carrying those lenses.
10-03-2016, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you like that case, cool. I really like the rugged feel of the Lowepro 9x9 for $21 at B&H myself; nice snug fit, maybe takes more time to actually get the lens in and out though.
10-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm kind of wondering what to put the little flattie 40mm XS into? Probably something orange so I can find it in the bag!

10-03-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Yup, they are the same style that I use KD
Aye, I went for these in particular, because the three larger sizes are 100 mm diameter which is fine for bigger Ladies with their hoods still on.

Mine are of extra good quality, cos their marked in the advert "for Canon EOS Lenses"

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-03-2016 at 03:57 PM.
10-03-2016, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ahhh, mine are stealth versions with no markings at all.
10-03-2016, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
I'm kind of wondering what to put the little flattie 40mm XS into? Probably something orange so I can find it in the bag!
I really like this one from another thread. You could do something similar with a coin purse or small makeup case (or get it a couple of little friends). https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/99051-your-latest-acquisi...ml#post3787233

10-05-2016, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I have some soft cases for my Pentax lenses. I don't use them, myself.

I use two Domke F2 original bags for my bodies and lenses. I buy some soft , dense general use sponges that I surround the lens/camera with in the Domke bag's individualized pockets. I've been doing this for a couple of years and I find the sponges are very effective at absorbing vibration and cushioning various lenses/bodies tightly in place.

My system both cushions and keeps camera equipment in place, when I'm moving or traveling. I find I can remove or place the sponge cushions quickly, when removing or during placement of equipment. The sponge brand I use are Frank All purpose Sponges.

I've tried everything...aluminum cases (too bulky for my use) where I could cut foam inserts to hold equipment , backpacks (I had problems with occasional equipment falling out if I forgot to zip up the bag completely...my fault I know ), etc....I've tried most of them over near 50 years.

My Domke F-2 bags and Frank sponges have worked best for me.
10-11-2016, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Yup, for my 18-135. $24.95 & $6 shipping for used on the Bay, $34.95 free shipping (if I buy more stuff) from B&H.
Check Amazon and you can get the new Pentax soft cases from Japan cheaper than most used prices on eBay or new from B&H.

A quick check on a S80-120 case shows the new price of $23.72 with free shipping.

Phil.
10-12-2016, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For my Limited's I just use those foam covers for soft drink cans, real cheap from the dollar store.
10-13-2016, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

I use a variety of pouches. If you have never had someone dump the contents of your camera bag, consider yourself lucky.
10-13-2016, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For walking around, with a camera bag such as a smaller Domke.... no indiviual lens protection used.... but bag set up so no individual thing rubs... all about easy usable access for lens changes and low risk of fumbling etc.

For a larger bag, such as a F2..... I use an insert or two to the ensure nothing rubs.... have even sewn one together thats lower for the limiteds to fit this bag.

When packing xtra lenses in a suitcase for OS travel, then I put them in their individual protectors. A few lenses scattered in socks is quite easily overlooked by thieves as well.... but the limiteds turn up their nose on the homeward leg when being placed in a dirty sock.....

Mention has been made of dropping lenses, my view on this is "put some initial effort into how you are set up to reduce the chance of fumbling a lens" rather than protecting them in a way that increases the likelihood of a fumble. My equipment would not be placed at risk of someone tipping it all out.

Compactness of my kit is a major advange to me.... so I'd hesitate to add bulky layers of redundant stuffing....

Last edited by noelpolar; 10-13-2016 at 08:28 PM.
10-14-2016, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

It really depends on the camera bag as well as the lenses you're carrying. I have a Timbuk2 Snoop Messenger (small) that although well padded; had lens compartments that were shallow and open at the top. I'd keep the HD DA Ltds in their pouches in the event the'd bang into one another. In the Domke F-4AF bag which is well padded, I used the dividers from the Timbuk2 bag to separate each lens into stackable individually compartments - no lens cases needed, not even for travel. In my small Domke F-5XB the lens compartments on each end are not padded on the end. Initially I used the leather Ltd lens cases but stopped doing so after adding padded dividers cannabalized from an old Lowepro bag.

If the bag is well padded and lenses secure, the lens case is just another thing that can impede workflow.
10-14-2016, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
I really like this one from another thread. You could do something similar with a coin purse or small makeup case (or get it a couple of little friends). Your latest acquisition
Thanks for the reference . I have been using the pouch now for a couple of weeks and it is just the ticket. When I have one of the three lenses on the camera the tightness of the pouch prevents the jostling in the bag dividers and leaves another slot for something else - did a function tonight and had the 16-45 and the Flash in the bag as well - no issues with this setup.

(Just in case you are wondering the zoom is great for multiple activities and subject distances at a function without having to make quick lens changes while the small primes are great for unobtrusive snap shots without flash in the quieter times.)
12-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I have NEVER used any of the Pentax cases that came with my lenses but sometimes wonder if I should. If you have a well-padded camera bag it seems redundant to me and the more layers you wrap your gear in the higher chance of fungus developing in the lenses.