Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens soft cases - overkill or just the ticket?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have 2 lenses (the DA 55-300 and the DA 10-17) that came with the Pentax branded soft case e.g. Pentax S80-160 Soft Lens Case reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database etc. My other lenses came sans cases. I already have a nice camera backpack Amazon.com : Aktiv Pak AP400 400 Camera Backpack -Black : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo with lots of padding, so I wonder if it is overkill to try to get a few more of the Pentax ones for my new babies (18-135 in particular, but a few nice primes as well).

Thoughts? Alternatives?

10-01-2016, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would definately use cases in any bag. It's just not worth not using them in my opinion. For the 18-135, I use a Lowepro 9x9 Lens Case, which run around $20; Lowepro Lens Case 9 x 9cm (Black) LP36302 B&H Photo Video

With my Pentax M 50 1.4, I use the same leather pouch that comes with the 15mm Ltd prime. It makes things a little confusing now that I own that lens and its pouch as well... I also bought one of those four packs of different sized neoprene lens pouches you can find online for cheap. They work but they're not great, kind of like keeping a lens in a sock. But better than nothing.
10-01-2016, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Overkill and get more Pentax cases.....
10-01-2016, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
I have 2 lenses (the DA 55-300 and the DA 10-17) that came with the Pentax branded soft case e.g. Pentax S80-160 Soft Lens Case reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database etc. My other lenses came sans cases. I already have a nice camera backpack Amazon.com : Aktiv Pak AP400 400 Camera Backpack -Black : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo with lots of padding, so I wonder if it is overkill to try to get a few more of the Pentax ones for my new babies (18-135 in particular, but a few nice primes as well).

Thoughts? Alternatives?
Just my opinion - using a lens case inside a camera bag or backpack is like belt and suspenders. Either one should do the job, but some like the added security of using both. For me, just my bag or backpack, both of which have padding and padded dividers. I've done Alaska, Europe, the Caribbean and lots of the rest of the USA with one or the other usually loaded with my K-3, grip and three lenses. Flash added for good measure upon occasion. No problems whatsoever - so far.

10-01-2016, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was out night shooting and ended up leaving my 18-135 behind. I have since upgraded black bags to yellow domke lens wraps.

My bag usual has plenty of gear in it so I always wrap.
10-01-2016, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I also bought one of those four packs of different sized neoprene lens pouches you can find online for cheap. They work but they're not great, kind of like keeping a lens in a sock. But better than nothing.
I have a set of those too that I picked up on Ebay and I quite like the fact that you can slide them onto a belt although I don't think I'd ever trust the clips to attach them to a loop somewhere.

My Limiteds and my Pentax-A 50mm are all in their little leather pouches and I sometimes drop them into one of the cheap pouches (still in their leather pouches) to make carrying them easier.

Things might change around here now as I recently switched to a Pelican wheeled case as my main storage instead of using a Manfrotto Lino V backpack (it just got too heavy to lug around given my restricted mobility issues). In addition to the Pelican I also picked up an OP/Tech USA 11" accessory case after seeing this thread a couple of years ago...... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/273575...beautiful.html

At the moment the accessory case is holding cables/chargers/etc. but it's a matter of seconds to drop those out and replace them with primes/zooms as required. The accessory case also fits nicely into the bottom of the Pelican case (long side down) so it takes up very little room but is ready when I need it.
10-01-2016, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Overkill

It would drive me crazy to take a lens out of one of my bags and then have to take a case off of it. I've traveled and hiked extensively with a body and 2-3 lenses in a bag or backpack and I've never felt that the equipment was not adequately protected. Of course there was that one time when I put my backpack on without zipping the flap shut. That resulted in a little damage when equipment flew out of the bag and landed on the ground. If that didn't cause me to consider cases on lenses in the bag, nothing will.

10-01-2016, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They sell these sleeves at dollar stores for pop / beer cans. I often just sling the K-50 and the 18-135mm WR over my shoulder and go wherever I'm going. If I want to bring along something smaller and faster - for use indoors later perhaps - I tuck one of my small lenses into one of these and put it in a pocket or my tote bag.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1068  Photo 
10-01-2016, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All my bags and my backpack have lens-sized padded slots. I store my lenses in a drawer with cut up squares of neoprene mousepad between them. I leave the soft cases in the OEM box with the papers and plastic bags. I also store the leather cylinder cases for legacy lenses on a shelf with the OEM boxes (except the SMC 500/4.5).

To me anyway the point is to use the lenses, but I've not marked one banging them around either.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-02-2016 at 07:09 AM.
10-02-2016, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Lens soft cases - overkill or just the ticket?
I use these... Active Pro Lens Pouches reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database when I'm travelling incognito with non identifiable camera bags.
10-02-2016, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Yup, they are the same style that I use KD. You can pick them up on Ebay for little cost, here's a search that I just did..... lens pouches | eBay (hope that works).

Quite a choice out there.
10-02-2016, 07:33 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Just my opinion - using a lens case inside a camera bag or backpack is like belt and suspenders. Either one should do the job, but some like the added security of using both.
Well, the consequences between exposing your underpants a bit and breaking a $500+ lens are a bit different in magnitude.
10-03-2016, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
It would drive me crazy to take a lens out of one of my bags and then have to take a case off of it.
Yeah...takes too long to access things. I very seldom use lens pouches. Most times, the padding in my camera bag is more than enough protection. However, I do have a few bags, like my Domke, that don't have padded dividers. Depending on how much gear I'm going to carry and how I'll be traveling, I may use a lens pouch to keep things from banging against each other, but those times are pretty few and far between.
10-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So have been searching in eBay and saw "Pentax 645 S80-120 Soft Lens Case" - is this different from the ones for (d)SLR's or is a S80-120 an S80-120 no matter what?
10-03-2016, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Product info here; Pentax Lens Case S80-120 (Soft) 33924 B&H Photo Video!

Shows a fit for a 645 lens as well as k-mount lenses. It's really just a question of dimensions and if Pentax wanted to do something a bit more special, like the leather pouches for some of their Limited lenses. I've never actually handled one of that style of Pentax lens case, they always looked a little weird to me, but if the price is right and your lens fits...