Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,979
Almost Positive (Sirui T-005X with C-10S ballhead)

I have been reading about the Sirui T-025X tripod and have been contemplating its aluminum version the T-005X that includes the C-10S ballhead. I would mostly be using it with the Pentax 16-85 either on a K-5IIS or a K-3II, being my present equipment. I have a Sirui K-20X ballhead that I use with my Sirui EN-2004 tripod which I thought I could switch out with the C-10S if I wanted to, since I could not find the T-005X being sold only as legs. I would be using the T-005X for a travel piece mainly since my EN-2004 is nice for other things due to its more emphasized stability. If anyone has an opinion on the T-005X/C-10 combination for a travel tripod, I would be interested in it. I might even try to use a 24-70 or 70-200 on it (only horizontal per use of L Plate) if I purchase them in the future. I have really narrowed it down to this for especially air travel (carry on), and opinions are welcome.

Sirui T-005X Aluminum Tripod with C-10S Ball Head SUT005KX B&H


Last edited by C_Jones; 10-12-2016 at 08:40 AM.
10-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,292
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have been reading about the Sirui T-025X tripod and have been contemplating its aluminum version the T-005X that includes the C-10S ballhead. I would mostly be using it with the Pentax 16-85 either on a K-5IIS or a K-3II, being my present equipment. I have a Sirui K-20X that I use with my Sirui EN-2004 tripod which I thought I could switch out with the C-10S if I wanted to, since I could not find the T-005X being sold only as legs. I would be using the T-005X for a travel piece mainly since my EN-2004 is nice for other things due to its stability. If anyone has an opinion on the T-005X/C-10 combination for a travel tripod, I would be interested in it. I might even try to use a 24-70 or 70-200 on it (only horizontal per use of L Plate) if I purchase them in the future. I have really narrowed it down to this for especially air travel (carry on), and opinions are welcome.

Sirui T-005X Aluminum Tripod with C-10S Ball Head SUT005KX B&H
you must have read the glowing review here in PF. me too. and I bought the carbon fiber version. I think the review is, overrated.

My intention is to use it as my backpacking tripod (have other carbon fiber tripod for everyday use).
Take it to backpacking trip two weeks ago. The tripod is decent, but I don't feel comfortable using it with 16-50, fully extended.
And your 24-70 or 70-200 certainly is not going to feel stable, unless there is absolutely no wind at all, fully extend.

I find that, it is pretty stable when only extend two 'slots' of the telescopic leg. and at this position, you need to kneel down to compost your shot.
I use it to shoot photo of my wife and I while travel, not award winning landscape photography (which I think you will be disappointed with its stability).

The tripod head, is decent but I find it difficult to slide in and out with the plate, without spending some time aligning it. I don't like it. I am thinking of replacing this ball head.

If you plan for daily use, I think you will be disappointed. But for travel, backpacking use, you will be happy with the weight saving.
10-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,979
Original Poster
Thanks for the information and your opinion.
10-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,182
When I was buying my tripod I wasn't necessarily going for portability, but I looked at the T-005X anyway, along with other Sirui tripods. In my opinion it is, at best, suited for a heavier mirrorless camera. Same goes for the T-004X. I would look at the T-1004X if you want to go with Sirui, or something like a Manfrotto Befree or Cullmann 622T. Check out these comparisons on DPReview:
Travel tripods: Comparing 5 aluminum kits: Digital Photography Review
Travel tripods: 5 carbon fiber kits reviewed: Digital Photography Review

In the end I went with a MF 190XPRO, but if some of these better portable versions had been available at the time I would probably have bought one of those instead.

10-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,669
I have the T-025x, and I think the T-005x would be fine for travel with the K-5/3 and the 16-85. I've used mine with the K-5, K-30, K-01, K-S1, K-x, K-r, etc. and an assortment of lenses, usually below 500g but up to 1500g (I added shot bags at the bottom to dampen vibrations with the long stuff). For its intended purpose (travel and hiking), I prefer lighter bodies and lenses anyhow. I don't think I'd put the D FA 70-200 on it, but I would never travel with such a heavy lens - or if I did, weight would not be a consideration and I'd be taking a heavier tripod.

After hiking all day Monday with the T-025x in my backpack and resenting every extra gram by the end of the day, I don't regret paying extra for the carbon fiber.

Last edited by THoog; 10-12-2016 at 02:02 PM.
10-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
W412ren's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fareham, Hampshire
Photos: Albums
Posts: 492
Sirui T-005X with C-10S ballhead - this is the one I use for travel. It has done well so far, so much so that I am now looking at their other products.
I have used it with the K3 and 18-135 which I think is a similar weight to the 16-85. Mostly though I take a couple of A series primes to use for low light or landscape shots which are probably a couple of hundred grams lighter.
The ballhead does seem to be the weak point but it's never moved on me so far.
10-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,979
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
When I was buying my tripod I wasn't necessarily going for portability, but I looked at the T-005X anyway, along with other Sirui tripods. In my opinion it is, at best, suited for a heavier mirrorless camera. Same goes for the T-004X. I would look at the T-1004X if you want to go with Sirui, or something like a Manfrotto Befree or Cullmann 622T. Check out these comparisons on DPReview:
Travel tripods: Comparing 5 aluminum kits: Digital Photography Review
Travel tripods: 5 carbon fiber kits reviewed: Digital Photography Review

In the end I went with a MF 190XPRO, but if some of these better portable versions had been available at the time I would probably have bought one of those instead.
Thanks for your opinion. As I said, I have the Sirui EN-2004/Sirui K-20X ballhead for my more extreme stability needs already. A portable tripod for air travel is basically what I am looking at. Thank you for the shortcuts.

---------- Post added 10-12-16 at 05:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I have the T-025x, and I think it would be fine for travel with the K-5/3 and the 16-85. I've used mine with the K-5, K-30, K-01, K-S1, K-x, K-r, etc. and an assortment of lenses, usually below 500g but up to 1500g (I added shot bags at the bottom to dampen vibrations with the long stuff). For its intended purpose (travel and hiking), I prefer lighter bodies and lenses anyhow. I don't think I'd put the D FA 70-200 on it, but I would never travel with such a heavy lens - or if I did, weight would not be a consideration and I'd be taking a heavier tripod.

After hiking all day Monday with the T-025x in my backpack and resenting every extra gram by the end of the day, I don't regret paying extra for the carbon fiber.
I was thinking that if I got the T-005X and swapped the C-10S ball head that comes with it with my K-20X ball head, it would most likely handle what you mentioned (K-5/3) and a 16-85 or 24-70 without much of a problem. Most likely I would not put a 70-200 on it. The longer exposure with a 16-85, 24-70 or something similar is what would most likely be the major use of it. Air travel is what I would be using it for due to its small size/weight closed down. I have the Sirui EN-2004 that I use with my K-20X ball head and it does very well with my Sigma 150-500 on down to my smaller lenses. That is partially why I am looking at Sirui.

Thank you for the information/opinion.

10-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,977
I went up a size and use the Sirui T-1205X tripod, with the K-20x ball head. The head is slightly too big for the legs to fold properly, but it works. It's only slightly larger than the 005 at 350mm in storage position and .9 kilos vs 300mm and .7 kilos, while being rated for 10 kilos vs 4 for the aluminum or 6 for the carbon fiber.

If I had it to do over knowing what I do now, I'd get the same legs, but I'd get a gimbal head instead. They're bigger, but they're a lot easier to work with than a ball head with a heavy camera on top of it. Of course, sticking with sirui you're looking at 125 for the k-20x ball head vs ~450 for the Ph-20 gimbal head.

Oh, just to reiterate in case you missed it, since it's even more applicable with the 005:
The head is too big for the legs, so they won't fold cleanly around it in the storage position
10-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,979
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
Sirui T-005X with C-10S ballhead - this is the one I use for travel. It has done well so far, so much so that I am now looking at their other products.
I have used it with the K3 and 18-135 which I think is a similar weight to the 16-85. Mostly though I take a couple of A series primes to use for low light or landscape shots which are probably a couple of hundred grams lighter.
The ballhead does seem to be the weak point but it's never moved on me so far.

The travel aspect is the factor that I am taking into consideration for a smaller tripod like the Sirui T-005X, since I already have the Sirui EN-2004 tripod/Sirui K-20X ball head combination for more extreme weights such as my Sigma 150-500. The 18-135 is listed as weighing .89 lbs. and the 16-85 is listed as weighing 1.1 lbs, so what you said about similar weight is true. The Pentax 24-70 is listed as being 1.73 lbs., so that may possibly be a success on the tripod also. I had mentioned earlier, if I switched the C-10S ball head out with my K-20X ball head, that would most likely give my a little bit more stealth also if I needed it. The C-10S ball head seems like it would handle up to 3-4 lbs.. Its specs say that it will hold up to 28.7 lbs. on the Adorama site when it is advertised by itself, w/o the tripod. I would most likely stay within the 4-5 lb. range and use an L-Plate to switch between vertical/horizontal to avoid extreme odd angling. That way the tripod itself would not be strained due to balance or weight. Thank you for your comment.

---------- Post added 10-12-16 at 05:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I went up a size and use the Sirui T-1205X tripod, with the K-20x ball head. The head is slightly too big for the legs to fold properly, but it works. It's only slightly larger than the 005 at 350mm in storage position and .9 kilos vs 300mm and .7 kilos, while being rated for 10 kilos vs 4 for the aluminum or 6 for the carbon fiber.

If I had it to do over knowing what I do now, I'd get the same legs, but I'd get a gimbal head instead. They're bigger, but they're a lot easier to work with than a ball head with a heavy camera on top of it. Of course, sticking with sirui you're looking at 125 for the k-20x ball head vs ~450 for the Ph-20 gimbal head.

Oh, just to reiterate in case you missed it, since it's even more applicable with the 005:
The head is too big for the legs, so they won't fold cleanly around it in the storage position
Thanks for mentioning the other choice. I like the K-20X ball head I have. I have thought about the gimbal head, but for now, since I usually do my action shooting with no tripod, I have the K-20X and my EN-2004 (Sirui) to handle the more weighty equipment if I need a tripod. The 005 would most likely serve its purpose if I did not overdo it with weight for lighter shooting, like staying around or under 4 lbs., most likely in the vicinity of 3 lbs..

Thank you.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-12-2016 at 02:46 PM.
10-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,654
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If anyone has an opinion on the T-005X/C-10 combination for a travel tripod, I would be interested in it.
The 25 will give less vibration than the 5, but both are excellent for your intended purpose.

As long as you understand the limitations of such a tripod (lighter and smaller means more sensitivity to wind and heavy lens movements). I, for one, think the PF review is spot on. This is not a tripod meant to be used with long heavy lenses (it works well with the 60-250, however).

I use the 25 carbon version, and its vibration dampening is superb. I'd recommend it over the 5 because of that. The weight is also lighter. The C10X head is excellent for the price, it lacks a friction control knob but apart from that it works well and is quite stable. I have a Vanguard ellipsoidal head, the C10X head and the K10 head and the C10x is not put to shame by the others.

Having the K-1's tilting screen has spoiled me, now I use it a lot with the center column removed, in live view with the screen tilted up. It's even more stable that way.

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I might even try to use a 24-70 or 70-200 on it
The 70-200 is pushing it. That lens is too heavy for that tripod, even with a stronger head (I use it with the K10 Sirui head).
10-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,979
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The 25 will give less vibration than the 5, but both are excellent for your intended purpose.

As long as you understand the limitations of such a tripod (lighter and smaller means more sensitivity to wind and heavy lens movements). I, for one, think the PF review is spot on. This is not a tripod meant to be used with long heavy lenses (it works well with the 60-250, however).

I use the 25 carbon version, and its vibration dampening is superb. I'd recommend it over the 5 because of that. The weight is also lighter. The C10X head is excellent for the price, it lacks a friction control knob but apart from that it works well and is quite stable. I have a Vanguard ellipsoidal head, the C10X head and the K10 head and the C10x is not put to shame by the others.

Having the K-1's tilting screen has spoiled me, now I use it a lot with the center column removed, in live view with the screen tilted up. It's even more stable that way.



The 70-200 is pushing it. That lens is too heavy for that tripod, even with a stronger head (I use it with the K10 Sirui head).
Thanks for the information.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aluminum, ball, day, head, legs, lenses, sirui, t-025x, travel, tripod, tripods, weight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips for staying positive and finding photography jobs? SpartanD63 General Photography 15 02-27-2016 07:39 AM
Travel Proof Positive Bob Harris Post Your Photos! 11 07-07-2012 09:23 PM
I almost feel sorry for him...almost. jeffkrol General Talk 32 06-21-2010 11:20 AM
be positive... axl Post Your Photos! 8 05-07-2009 09:39 AM
Almost Positive about FF Pentax...I think... benjikan Pentax News and Rumors 184 06-08-2008 03:56 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top