Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Everyday Messenger Bag?

Just curious, how much does this bag holds up to its claim? I currently use a National Geographic (Travelpro) bag and it is a bit worn, and I am finding a replacement.

Sincerely

Edit: I probably need a bag that holds my K-S2, my KM or Program Plus Film SLR, several prime lenses and my DAL 18-50 WR, rolls of film, laptop (Lenovo W541 preferred), wallet and travel documents, cell phone, backup SD card and batteries. Probably will stick to backpack as my K-S2 is tied on a Miggo shoulder strap. Any recommendations?

Edit 2: After some research it seems that National Geographic still gives me the best bang for the buck.

Last edited by butangmucat; 10-12-2016 at 10:46 PM.
10-12-2016, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Just curious, how much does this bag holds up to its claim? I currently use a National Geographic (Travelpro) bag and it is a bit worn, and I am finding a replacement.

Sincerely
Is the bag you refer to the Peak Design one here? The Everyday Messenger Bag | Peak Design

That's a nice looking bag if it is. I'd love to have some spare pesos and a need for one myself.

I can't speak for how much those bags hold, but there's some indication of what each size holds at that link.

I find these types of messenger bags quite flexible actually, I use the Think Tank Retrospective 30 for my Gigapan Epic Pro. The Gigapan, K5, FA50 and a spare battery all go together as a neat package. I still have room to add some more lenses too if needed as well as accessories. Indeed, if I wanted to mount a camera on the Gigapan cradle I could take two cameras with this bag. One mounted and the other in a side pocket. Yes, the K5 and battery grip fit in a side pocket.

So far as flexibility goes, on the weekend just gone I swapped out the Gigapan and used it for an event I was shooting. I was carrying the K-1 and 150-450, and in the messenger bag I had the D-FA 's15-30, 24-70 and 70-200 along with three Zeiss lenses, the 2/35, 2/50 and the 2/100.

This is not the answer you seek but if the peak design bags are as flexible as the think tank then you should have a really good bag for various combos of kit you want to use with it.

Anyhoo, I hope someone who has one drops by soon.

Tas
10-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like a nice bag. What's the price?...Whooaa okay there.
I'll stick to the Lowepro event messenger and spend the difference on glass or a plane ticket

(I should add: to each their own, quality is not cheap, do as you wish)
10-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Seems like a nice bag. What's the price?...Whooaa okay there.
I'll stick to the Lowepro event messenger and spend the difference on glass or a plane ticket

(I should add: to each their own, quality is not cheap, do as you wish)
What I like is that I can convert it into a schoolbag that holds my camera when I am not taking 3 or 4 primes for a day of shooting. What I don't like is the price.

I should have said it, but the questions are:
- Does the flexibility justify its price?
- Are there similar bags that is of better value?

10-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have one, but unfortunately i dont have the NatGeo Travel so i dont know how to compare both...

I can fit a Dell XPS13, a K1 (no grip) with a 43mm attached, the DFA70-200, and the 77/31 and DFA100 (or a flash like the Metz 58-AF2 or the YN560III [maybe two or three YN560 if you dont need neither the 77 and 31] if you dont need the DFA100), above of this i can put a monopod or tripod (or lightstand), the front pocket allow me to carry the Pelican SD care and two batteries; and if i squeeze enough all the clutter i can put the YN560TX for the Flash or the Acon Transmitter for the Metz.... if you are in good shape is doable to carry this all day, but your shoulder will still feel the weight as all this is carried in one shoulder.

Tell me if you need Pics with some equipment (or books) in it

PS. Is a lot of fun when you travel heavy and the thing you need is under all the equipment XD
10-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I have one, but unfortunately i dont have the NatGeo Travel so i dont know how to compare both...

I can fit a Dell XPS13, a K1 (no grip) with a 43mm attached, the DFA70-200, and the 77/31 and DFA100 (or a flash like the Metz 58-AF2 or the YN560III [maybe two or three YN560 if you dont need neither the 77 and 31] if you dont need the DFA100), above of this i can put a monopod or tripod (or lightstand), the front pocket allow me to carry the Pelican SD care and two batteries; and if i squeeze enough all the clutter i can put the YN560TX for the Flash or the Acon Transmitter for the Metz.... if you are in good shape is doable to carry this all day, but your shoulder will still feel the weight as all this is carried in one shoulder.

Tell me if you need Pics with some equipment (or books) in it

PS. Is a lot of fun when you travel heavy and the thing you need is under all the equipment XD
My current NatGeo bag is a more schoolbag like backpack, and I have managed to easily put in a Lenovo ThinkPad L450 (14inch), wallet, travel documents, a K-S2 (with Tamron 01BB and miggo strap/case combo), a Program Plus (with FA43, OpTech USA strap, and original Asahi Pentax case), a radio scanner, a Juptier-37A (with original hood and plastic case), a SMCA 50/2 (with OpTech/USA sleeve), a Mir-1B (with OpTech USA sleeve), several rolls of 135 film, a medium Rocket Blower, a Nikon lens cleaning kit, backup batteries for K-S2 and scanner, a USB power bank, and the AC adapter for my laptop. However this puts a lot of load on my shoulders and the bag was designed as a general purpose backpack so no isolation compartments were provided.

Any pics for reference and suggestions are welcome.

Sincerely

Last edited by butangmucat; 10-12-2016 at 04:18 PM.
10-12-2016, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Ok, here are some reference pictures

With all the equipment in it

Side view

Dell XPS13 and powerbrick (theyre small, so any decent sized laptop maybe take more space overall)

Open main comparment for comparision size DFA100 and DFA50 macro, Metz Flash and a PSvita en the right size

Lenses and flash removed

For comparision a Zeiss 85mm and a Pentax K1 with a 50mm F1.7 attached and a Peak design strap

Reference size of camera and lens

Front co.partment

My wallet, Pelican SD card storage, a HDD, and two batteries for the camera

-----------

For informative purpose

In the laptop compartment there is a second flap to storage something small as an Ipad (ipad air 2 in my picture) in the other photos the ipad wasnt there, but you could fit some papers if the bag is clutered

And for flexibility, if you remove the small divisor, you can fit somthing like 7 books

It can also work as a diaper bag if needed, as my brother once use it for that purpose.