Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Carbon Fiber Tripod Do You Like?

I currently use a heavy steel Gitzo tripod (see photo). It's extremely stable, but a bit too heavy for me.

I'm thinking of getting a quality, yet lighter weight tripod. I hear they make them of carbon fiber, graphite, and other lightweight materials these days.

Do you have a lightweight tripod that you like and would recommend?

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-14-2016 at 08:48 PM.
10-12-2016, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have an Oben. Love it. Seems durable, and light enough to carry around.
10-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

You are going to get a lot of recommendations for Gitzo, and they are very, very good.
I couldn't afford one, so I went with a Feisol Tournament for a lightweight tripod. It has some very nice features and is very solid.
And much less expensive than a Gitzo.
10-12-2016, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an Induro CT114 tripod with an Acratech Ultimate Ball Head, and it's a bit light for my K3 with battery grip and my DA*16-50mm lens but works well for my wife's K-30 and 18-135mm lens. And the size makes the CT114 a good travel tripod. I also have an Induro C414 tripod with an Acratech GV2 ball head, which is at the opposite end of the scale, quite beefy and solid. But the C414 does great with the K3, battery grip and DFA150-450mm lens. It's a very stable set up, even in the wind.

I think what ever tripod you choose, it needs to compliment your shooting style and need. Also, the head is another important feature to think about.

10-12-2016, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dave, I have a Sirui Carbon fibre travel tripod T-025X with C-10 head with me when hiking.
10-12-2016, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Using Manfrotto metal, Sirui carbon and more recently a larger Feisol carbon for the K1/DFA150450. I'd say, the mechanical properties of metal tripod are better. While carbon is definitely light weight compare to metal, carbon tends to react and induce vibrations unless it is an oversized carbon tripod. The Sirui I have is perfect as a travel tripod because it is compact when folded and good enough as long as the camera/lens are small. For the K1, I've upgraded to a 28mm (leg tube diameter) Feisol without center column (with the ball head directly on the base plate) and 3 section tubes instead of 4 sections, stability is greatly improved. Tripods with 3 sections legs are less compact but supposed to be more stable. For the K1 + full frame lens, I'd suggest leg tune diameter of 28mm or more.
10-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks to all, appreciate the advice.

Dave

10-13-2016, 01:46 AM   #8

I also have and use Sirui Carbon fibre travel tripod T-025X with C-10, i realy like it.
Easy to fold out and pack down
10-13-2016, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I have a Gitzo 1028 which is a few years old now. It's four section, and folds down quite small - a good bit smaller and lighter than the Manfrotto 190 it replaced. But when extended it is pretty much the same height as the 190.

I'm continually amazed at how strong and stable the little Gitzo is, and how easy it is to tote along. I find I can tuck it into the belt of my backpack much easier than strapping it to the back like I'm supposed to.

Still, I wouldn't have it if I hadn't got a really good deal on it those years ago. Full price at the time was jaw-dropping. It's hard to tell everyone they should follow suit, given the price of such jewels.

However, when I do need something bigger and sturdier, I go the other route. My full size tripod is a wooden Berlebach, and it earns its keep each and every year I have it. Yes, it's a bit heavier than a comparable aluminum model, but it's an absolute joy to use. And when something's that hefty and capable (and pretty) I make darn sure that every time I bring it along, it gets used.

It's good to be discussing tripods. I've often said they make the difference between good photography and great photography. And in this digital, snap happy era, it's important to slow down the creative process and carefully make the photo - not just blast away and hope you find something good to fix up in Lightroom.
10-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
t's good to be discussing tripods. I've often said they make the difference between good photography and great photography. And in this digital, snap happy era, it's important to slow down the creative process and carefully make the photo - not just blast away and hope you find something good to fix up in Lightroom.
Well said, I strongly agree.
10-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #11

I'm a big fan of Benro. Solid and easy to maintain. My past experience with Gitzo was mixed. Their tolerances may be too tight which is a hard thing to complain about. One grain of sand in a leg lock would cause it to seize up. The Benro legs are a bit looser which seems to allow them to tolerate a bit of grit in the mechanisms without jamming up the leg sliders. I take care of my equipment but my tripods get dirty with normal use. The Benro legs seems to handle harsh conditions better and easily clean up afterwords.
10-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Manfrotto 190CX3 which has now been replaced by the 190CXPRO3.

I like the three section design for quick setup and takedown. It's not super compact but relatively light. I do have to hunch a little if not using the center column and I'm 5'10".
CF is nice for using in cold conditions as holding on to metal, even with gloves, makes my hands pretty cold.

I use my 645D on it which is probably a slight stretch although it hasn't been any trouble. I'm thinking about a big heavy wooden tripod at some point for the MF rig since I don't take it hiking. It seems to be plenty sturdy enough for my K mount gear.

Last edited by mattb123; 10-13-2016 at 01:34 PM.
10-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I use the Sirui T-1205X tripod, with the K-20x ball head. Still lightweight, but more stable than the 005 travel model
10-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.amazon.com/Nest-NT-6324C-Traveller-Tripod-Section/dp/B00I4CTHR8

I find it very good.
10-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #15
Forum Member

I have the RRS Versa Series 2 package with the ball head. Expensive but well worth it.

Jay