Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Camera Cover for K-1 / 24-70 Lens Desired

I'm looking for a camera cover for my K-1. I'd like to cover the camera for protection when I travel with it on my camera strap. I have a Zing neoprene cover that I used with my K-3 but it's too small for the K-1 and the 24-70 lens. Another problem with the Zing design is that it's made to use with a normal camera strap and I use the BlackRapid sling strap that fastens to the camera's tripod mount. I realize I could cut a slot in a cover, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. I like the Zing material, but I've researched all of their products and I have not found one that would fit the K-1 / 24 - 70. If anyone is aware of a product that might meet my needs, I'd appreciate any such information.

10-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used the Op/tech neoprene case and have been very happy. (I have no vested interest.) You could contact them with the dimensions of the K-1 to know if they have a product or how much would it cost to be custom-made.
10-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You could always have a look at Peak Design shells. Like this one Peak Design Shell Medium Form-Fitting Rain and Dust SH-M -1 B&H. Comes in three sizes and works with Black Rapid.
10-17-2016, 02:13 AM   #4

Lowepro Toploader Pro 65 AW camera bag.

10-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I'll check these products out.
10-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
I'm looking for a camera cover for my K-1. I'd like to cover the camera for protection when I travel with it on my camera strap. I have a Zing neoprene cover that I used with my K-3 but it's too small for the K-1 and the 24-70 lens. Another problem with the Zing design is that it's made to use with a normal camera strap and I use the BlackRapid sling strap that fastens to the camera's tripod mount. I realize I could cut a slot in a cover, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. I like the Zing material, but I've researched all of their products and I have not found one that would fit the K-1 / 24 - 70. If anyone is aware of a product that might meet my needs, I'd appreciate any such information.
Hello Dave, I have the same problem as you. I bought a tough Neoprene cover for my K-20D considering longer zoom lenses in the future - had a choice of 3-snout lengths on the Nikon fit cover - larger than Pentaxes. Worked fine as long as I had the Pentax supplied Neck Strap.

Then I bought a K-1 and fitted a Shoulder Strap from China to prevent the "pain in the neck". I opted for the larger Plate type tripod mount attachment rather than the D-Ring which I thought was flimsy with a very small contact area and dangerous. The Plate has two strap attachment points on either side - one for the Carabiner which is pretty far away from the tripod screw, and the other for the Hand Strap. And here is the simple solution:

Just store your camera in the case with the penta prism facing down (the camera bottom plate is now up). Close the loops round the snout with the velcro making sure the carabiner with the strap is to one side. Done. Sling the Strap around your shoulder.

Note: The Carabiner attachment point on the Quick Release Plate gets pushed closer to one of the two strap openings on the neoprene case making this possible.
If you have the D- Ring replace it with the larger Quick Release Plate - cost USD 3 from evil bay - Chinese ingenuity with thick steel construction & as good as
the one sold by Black Rapid for $$.

Enjoy. Nanhi.
camp: Thornhill, Ontario.