Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #16
Forum Member

Take a look at the Think Tank Turnstyle. It comes in several sizes. The largest is their model 20 and it will hold a full frame DSLR with a 70-200 tele and two other lenses. The price is under $100.00 US. There is a video online showing how the bag works. Looks good to me and I am going down to my local dealer to try it out.

Jay

11-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using a LowePro Nova 4 AW for years. I took it overseas recently and carried it everywhere with K-1, DFA15-30, DA10-17, FA31, DA*55, DFA100WR and HD55-300, 540 FGZ II, Sirui tripod, a couple of filters, spare batteries and SD cards, remote and iPad mini on board. The whole thing weighed just under the 7kg carry-on limit.

It just fits the DFA*70-200 and DA*300. The flip top can be simply closed with a fastex buckle for easy access, or zipped for extra security.

I'm sure there is something similar available new, but I found one just now on eBay for AU$30 + postage.
11-02-2016, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I would like a little help from y’all picking out a new shoulder style camera bag that I can walk about with and change lenses, etc. without setting it down.
I’ll start with what I have, and then what I want…
Currently have for short hikes:
  • Small Lowepro Trecker. This is a great little back pack, but, it’s a hair too small, and, you have to pull it off and set it down to get to your stuff. Great for long hikes, not great for short walks where you want to change lenses a lot.
  • Pentax sling bag – It’s nice to throw over one shoulder, it does hold a fair amount of stuff, but again, you can’t open azipper while carrying, or everything would fall out. You have to set it down and open it up to change lenses.
  • Lowepro TLZ AW – Lets me put K-1 with 70-200 2.8 & 1.4 tc mounted as a single unit into it, if that is all I’m taking, it’s fine. There is a small side pocket I might be able to slip a tiny prime like the 17mm fisheye into, but that’s really pushing it. And it doesn't solve the whole free-hands to change lenses while walking thing.
What I want to haul:
K-1 & 2 spare batteries and these 2 lenses:
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 & 1.4x TC
Tokina 20-35mm 3.5 -4.5 (fat little sucker)

And a 3rd lens depending on where I’m going,which on any given day could be one of these:
Vivitar 100mm f2.8 Marco (large’ish & heavy)
SMC-17mm fisheye
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Or- FGZ360 flash

(I’m 6’1 and fit, but I don’t want to be tempted to haul the kitchen sink, and I will if I have the room!)

I am looking at inexpensive (the almighty budget rules) shoulder bags the likes of:
The Lowepro Nova Sport 17L AW or 35L AW, but I’m afraid the 35L AW might be a little big?

Some suggestions and advice would be much appreciated!
How much practical space do these really have, and can you easily change lenses while the bag is on your shoulder without having to set everything down?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Like a previous poster recommended, put on the 28-75 (with lens hood and no lens cap ), stick an extra battery in your pocket and go.
11-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the help. I took longer to pick this out than usual, and did a lot of soul searching about what I wanted.

It turns out I really wanted a multi purpose larger bag that could also be my go to war bag, that could hold as little or much as I need for a good hike with a monopod or tripod strapped on. If I don't choose to carry the kitchen sink that day, I can stuff the empty pockets with some dry rations or something.

Those of you that thought I should go minimalist, I do appreciate that, and have a smaller Lowepro holster bag for that already.

As much as I shot down previous suggestions for backpacks and ***slings, I went for a large sling after all, because the gentleman at B&H had some very persuasive arguments and used one himself, and... it is on SALE!

Lowepro SlingShot 302 AW Camera Bag LP36174 B&H Photo Video

Went with the Lowepro SlingShot 302 AW, since I have a few Lowepro bags already and trust them to hold up well, and, this particular sling has a very large side entry opening that you can stop from unzipping all the way with a cross strap.

The smaller lens dividers facing the back turned me off at first, because they would be useless when "slung" and using the side access, but then after talking to B&H, I realized I can re-configure them (cheating, not fully velcro'd) to face towards the side entrance (that will be Top entrance when slung) for changing to those other lenses when slung.

I will follow up again when I get it, load it, and take it for a hike. Fingers crossed, but at what I paid, it's not too much of a gamble.

Thanks again,
Eric

***PS: Regarding Slings - My original (and now discontinued) Pentax Sling bag is what turned me off on slings... it had a tiny side opening, and wasn't wide enough to mount the 70-200, which I kept in the bottom compartment by itself, and had to squeeze in every time. It wouldn't stay put on my shoulder, and when I got tired of it on one shoulder and wanted to switch sides, the curved strap was annoying. The padding also felt a bit thin too for protecting my gear. Oh! and the shoulder pad is not in the best spot and can't be moved, making it uncomfortable for long hikes. It was VERY inexpensive, and that should be kept in mind when criticizing the Pentax Sling bag, and is a great bag for the money. Most casual users would probably be very happy with it.I am pretty sure the Lowepro will be in another league. (I hope! )

Pentax Sling Bag for Small and Medium Sized Lenses 85120

Last edited by Erictator; 11-10-2016 at 12:24 PM.
11-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the sling bag I have:
SLR Camera Sling - Case Logic
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871458-REG/Case_Logic_DCB_308_DCB_308...era_Sling.html

It is a little smaller than the one you picked out and made in much the same way. I like the look of yours for when I want to carry more gear and that sales price is calling me. The DA* 60-250 will not fit on my K-3 with my bag but it appears like it will (or my FA* 300 in the Lowepro you linked... decisions decisions...
11-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I found it is too difficult and risky to try to change a K-mount lens standing up.
So I always head for a park bench or low wall etc to set the bag down on.

In this photo, the old timer K-mount gear is well travelled:
Pentax ist-ds, Pentax MX, SMC Pentax 1:2.8 24 mm, SMC Pentax 1:2 55mm and the old but mini Pentax AF160.
https://app.box.com/s/jfqajpmyfczct185q54xuaoy0cvzuhd6

jcdoss mentioned ex military bag, and the gear is sitting on one. It rolls up about the size of a work shirt in my carry on.

Walking around, I prefer the holster bag which can hold one of the above bodies plus 2 lenses plus flash.
05-10-2018, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE to bag thread

UPDATE: So, I thought I'd resurrect this old thread for laughs because I bought another bag.

Short story - The minimalists were right!

Longer story:

The big Lowepro sling bag is still a great bag, I just don't always need a bag that big and if you have a big bag, you tend to max it out for some reason. I put the Sling on a scale and realized I was carrying ~20 lbs of gear around! Sure, the sling distributed the weight very well and I'm a big guy, but it's a bit of overkill, heh heh.

So my quest for a medium/smaller bag for those simpler days lead me to the Vanguard VEO Discover 38 Messenger Bag.

Vanguard Veo Discover 38 Discreet Messenger Bag VEO DISCOVER 38

I am in love with this silly thing! Cheap and cheerful, and it holds a ton! The bright orange interior does help find things quick. Plus, I can put a HUGE long Tele in the inner tripod compartment, and strap my Sirui carbon tripod on the exterior tripod straps (so cool they give you 2 ways to carry a tripod) and plenty of room inside for the K-1 with a lens mounted, plus 2 more lenses. Plus it has accessory compartments for all kinds of other stuff...a tablet even!

The temptation to max it out is still there, but with some self control, you can carry a nice light kit comfortably and the top access zipper makes it super easy to get in and out of.

One downside is kinda obvious if you think about it, messenger bags don't have a wide footprint, so if you use the external tripod straps, the bag will want to lean over on that side from the weight imbalance. But it's made for carrying, not sitting, right? Heh.

Other than that, I've used it on several outings now and it is just the right size to hold everything I would ever need except for the most demanding long hikes, where I revert back to the LowePro sling. For casual outings where I am more concerned with access to the gear and lighter weight, this thing is great.

Eric
05-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I don't exactly know how well a Domke F2 Original bag (or any bag for that matter) would fit the stuff you want....without trying it out, but my favourite bag is this Domke. It's a shoulder strap bag...the Domke strap BTW is quite good and grippy. I've had lots of different bags over 50 years, including LowePro and I have to say, my favourite is the Domke F2 Original...hands down.

It would be great if there was a camera store handy near you that handled these bags, that way you could take a look to see if it meets your needs and standards.

Didn't read the last post from the OP. See he has chosen a bag and like it. Congrats on your selection, Erictator.