Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help picking a walk-about shoulder bag

I would like a little help from y’all picking out a new shoulder style camera bag that I can walk about with and change lenses, etc. without setting it down.
I’ll start with what I have, and then what I want…
Currently have for short hikes:
  • Small Lowepro Trecker. This is a great little back pack, but, it’s a hair too small, and, you have to pull it off and set it down to get to your stuff. Great for long hikes, not great for short walks where you want to change lenses a lot.
  • Pentax sling bag – It’s nice to throw over one shoulder, it does hold a fair amount of stuff, but again, you can’t open azipper while carrying, or everything would fall out. You have to set it down and open it up to change lenses.
  • Lowepro TLZ AW – Lets me put K-1 with 70-200 2.8 & 1.4 tc mounted as a single unit into it, if that is all I’m taking, it’s fine. There is a small side pocket I might be able to slip a tiny prime like the 17mm fisheye into, but that’s really pushing it. And it doesn't solve the whole free-hands to change lenses while walking thing.
What I want to haul:
K-1 & 2 spare batteries and these 2 lenses:
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 & 1.4x TC
Tokina 20-35mm 3.5 -4.5 (fat little sucker)

And a 3rd lens depending on where I’m going,which on any given day could be one of these:
Vivitar 100mm f2.8 Marco (large’ish & heavy)
SMC-17mm fisheye
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Or- FGZ360 flash

(I’m 6’1 and fit, but I don’t want to be tempted to haul the kitchen sink, and I will if I have the room!)

I am looking at inexpensive (the almighty budget rules) shoulder bags the likes of:
The Lowepro Nova Sport 17L AW or 35L AW, but I’m afraid the 35L AW might be a little big?

Some suggestions and advice would be much appreciated!
How much practical space do these really have, and can you easily change lenses while the bag is on your shoulder without having to set everything down?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

10-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a look at:

USA Gear Deluxe SLR Zoom Camera & Gear Holster Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Mine looking a bit tatty now but still serviceable.
10-31-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you dislike the backpacks that you rotate around your waist when read to acces the gear?
10-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Do you dislike the backpacks that you rotate around your waist when read to acces the gear?

Yeah, the tropic's are pretty hot and humid around here most of the year, or I'd be tempted to just wear my photo-vest and load up the pockets and carry a small holster for my K-1 and big Tele mounted. heh heh.

Eric

10-31-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Yeah, the tropic's are pretty hot and humid around here most of the year, or I'd be tempted to just wear my photo-vest and load up the pockets and carry a small holster for my K-1 and big Tele mounted. heh heh.

Eric
What about the really large fanny pack style bags?
10-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What about the really large fanny pack style bags?

I can't picture all that weight hanging off my waist... the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 is a bit of a tank, as is the Tokina, and my macro... I can't imagine all the hanging off my waist, I would think it would feel like someone was trying to pants me? and hard to walk?

Do you use one? How much weight do you carry it yours and how far do you walk with it like that?
Thanks,
Eric
10-31-2016, 01:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It would appear that the Lowepro Nova Sport 17L AW is now discontinued according to the Google searches I just did so getting one might be a bit difficult.

Having looked at the sizes it would appear to be very similar in size to the Ape Case ACPRO 1400 (Ape Case - Camera Cases and Accessories | ACPRO1400 Digital SLR Camera Case)

I bought one of these back in 2013 and I was amazed at the quality of the workmanship, it is very well made, has lots of storage (15 pockets/compartments) and a lot of versatility in terms of the dividers in the main compartment. The only issue I had with it was the weight when loaded as I have a disabling medical condition and I have recently switched to a Pelican rolling case instead.

I passed the Ape Case on to my daughter and she loves it and it takes her K10D + grip, K-50 + 18-55 WR, two other zooms, chargers, cables, filters, brushes/blower and other stuff with ease.

10-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
It would appear that the Lowepro Nova Sport 17L AW is now discontinued according to the Google searches I just did so getting one might be a bit difficult.

Having looked at the sizes it would appear to be very similar in size to the Ape Case ACPRO 1400 (Ape Case - Camera Cases and Accessories | ACPRO1400 Digital SLR Camera Case)

I bought one of these back in 2013 and I was amazed at the quality of the workmanship, it is very well made, has lots of storage (15 pockets/compartments) and a lot of versatility in terms of the dividers in the main compartment. The only issue I had with it was the weight when loaded as I have a disabling medical condition and I have recently switched to a Pelican rolling case instead.

I passed the Ape Case on to my daughter and she loves it and it takes her K10D + grip, K-50 + 18-55 WR, two other zooms, chargers, cables, filters, brushes/blower and other stuff with ease.

There are still tons of the Nova 17L out there, just not listed at the Lowepro site.That APE looks pretty interesting, never looked at them before. I'll do some reading, thanks!
Eric
10-31-2016, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't picture all that weight hanging off my waist... the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 is a bit of a tank, as is the Tokina, and my macro... I can't imagine all the hanging off my waist, I would think it would feel like someone was trying to pants me? and hard to walk?

Do you use one? How much weight do you carry it yours and how far do you walk with it like that?
Thanks,
Eric
I used to use a Bag like it. I carried a pz-1, an FA 80-320, FA 35-135, F 100 macro, M 100 2.8, M 28 f2.8, af330 flash, etc. but as the waistline grew it became awkward to carry.

These days I use a sling bag with side access. I put my K-3 a 50-135 a 20-40 a 15 a 100 macro, and the af540 ftz in the bag.

My Domke bag holds more and is a shoulder bag.
10-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would like a little help from y’all picking out a new shoulder style camera bag that I can walk about with and change lenses, etc. without setting it down.
  • Small Lowepro Trecker. This is a great little back pack, but, it’s a hair too small, and, you have to pull it off and set it down to get to your stuff. Great for long hikes, not great for short walks where you want to change lenses a lot.
  • Pentax sling bag – It’s nice to throw over one shoulder, it does hold a fair amount of stuff, but again, you can’t open azipper while carrying, or everything would fall out. You have to set it down and open it up to change lenses.
  • Lowepro TLZ AW – Lets me put K-1 with 70-200 2.8 & 1.4 tc mounted as a single unit into it, if that is all I’m taking, it’s fine. There is a small side pocket I might be able to slip a tiny prime like the 17mm fisheye into, but that’s really pushing it. And it doesn't solve the whole free-hands to change lenses while walking thing.
What I want to haul:

And a 3rd lens depending on where I’m going,which on any given day could be one of these:
SMC-17mm fisheye
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Or- FGZ360 flash

(I’m 6’1 and fit, but I don’t want to be tempted to haul the kitchen sink, and I will if I have the room!)

I am looking at inexpensive (the almighty budget rules) shoulder bags the likes of:
The Lowepro Nova Sport 17L AW or 35L AW, but I’m afraid the 35L AW might be a little big?

How much practical space do these really have, and can you easily change lenses while the bag is on your shoulder without having to set everything down?

Thanks in advance,
Eric
I have both the Lowepro Nova Sport bags and the Tamron 70-200. My use of these bags is usually not to carry them while I shoot but to transport and store. The 35L is very large, I would not want to walk around with it. I checked the Tamron to see if it would fit in the bag, it can on it's side, and also standing up, barely. I also have a Tenba Shootout medium sling. It swings around in front of you and opens on the side for changing lenses, very convenient, you may be able to configure it to change the Tamron, I haven't tried. I did configure it recently to carry the Tamron on aK-30, but I accessed it through the top and not the side, I was also carrying a couple of small primes and swapping and 18-135 and a Sigma 17-50. That was my first time configuring it that way and I could have done it better. More often when I've wanted to change large lenses like the Tamron or DA* 300 I would carry the Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange Case 200 AW. It's just a lens case, but it's made for changing lenses in the field. More often when in the field I'll carry extra lenses in individual cases attached to a belt. A messenger bag could work pretty well also if it had an opening at the top, I have one that does not, it's of but the flap gets in the way. I have all of these bags because I watch the deals on Pentax forums, and no bag is perfect, but they all have their place.
11-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #11
Forum Member

I used to use a Bag like it. I carried a pz-1, an FA 80-320, FA 35-135, F 100 macro, M 100 2.8, M 28 f2.8, af330 flash, etc. but as the waistline grew it became awkward to carry.

These days I use a sling bag with side access. I put my K-3 a 50-135 a 20-40 a 15 a 100 macro, and the af540 ftz in the bag.

My Domke bag holds more and is a shoulder bag.
I have the Domke F-3X which carries my K3 plus 3 lenses comfortably. My old Sigma 24-70 F2.8 (my widest lens) is a snug fit in the side section
11-01-2016, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robin CB Quote
I have the Domke F-3X which carries my K3 plus 3 lenses comfortably. My old Sigma 24-70 F2.8 (my widest lens) is a snug fit in the side section

Ya know, the more I think about it, the more a messenger bag looks interesting. I was taking a second look at my Lowepro Holster bag, that mainly holds my K-1 with Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 mounted, and thought, gee, if this holster was wider, maybe in a vee shape, or something to hold a couple lenses on either side, it could be ideal.

I want to wear it strapped cross body, so it's not always slipping off my shoulder, and just want a convenient platform for holstering the camera and changing lenses on the fly without putting anything down on the ground.

Eric
11-01-2016, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I highly suggest getting optech double lens caps and putting them on your lenses individually to make changing lenses easier while working out of a bag.
11-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Want a New Camera Bag That's Cheap Yet Durable? Check Army Surplus

I thought that article was certainly timely for this discussion. The article did not mention whether or not all of the sarin was washed out of the bags before they are shipped, so you might want to use caution until it gets aired out thoroughly. :-D
11-02-2016, 03:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What I want to haul:

SMC-17mm fisheye
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Or- FGZ360 flash

Thanks in advance,
Eric
For walking about I would loose everything but the 28-75, and maybe the flash - not built in on the K-1? and don't use a bag - maybe a small one for batteries and flash.