Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
focus screen - leave in or switch out?

I have a Katzeye coming from another member, and I was wondering... I bought it for use with manual focus lenses, but if it works well, I might consider leaving it in. What do you all do? Leave it in all the time or switch it out with the standard one? Keep in mind, I do have a wife that uses the camera and she is not too savvy on the SLR thing... Justs shoots in P/Auto all settings. However, I will switch many things many times to get what I want.

Any thoughts?

Scott

07-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I can't imagine switching it back & forth. That's crazy. AF will work the same with either screen installed. Just leave it in. Once you use it, you will forget all about the other screen anyway.
07-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I have a Katz Eye on the way and I plan on removing it only when the K20D is sold (and that just might not happen :- ) ).

And about the wife, I passed her my camera with the 50-135mm on it and she kept grabbing the focus ring and manually focusing (rather than going for the zoom first). Not sure if that was my accident or on purpose, haha. Perhaps your wife will actually like the Katz Eye :-)
07-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
What do you all do?
buy her another camera...

07-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
I have a Katzeye coming from another member, and I was wondering... I bought it for use with manual focus lenses, but if it works well, I might consider leaving it in. What do you all do? Leave it in all the time or switch it out with the standard one? Keep in mind, I do have a wife that uses the camera and she is not too savvy on the SLR thing... Justs shoots in P/Auto all settings. However, I will switch many things many times to get what I want.

Any thoughts?

Scott
Leave it in. The only "harm" it does is that you lose spotmetering.
07-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
?!?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Leave it in. The only "harm" it does is that you lose spotmetering.
why is that?
and it's bit of a shame, because I find spot metering rather usefull...
07-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
hhmmm, lose spot metering. I don't like the sound of that, however it may be the price to pay. I don't use it that much, however it is nice to have. I would like to keep it in tho. I'll play with it when it comes here.

thanks,
Scott

ps - I like the idea of getting her a camera. Just need to find the cash to get a ds. I have been thinking of that for the smaller size, and the noise.

08-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
why is that?
and it's bit of a shame, because I find spot metering rather usefull...
Because the meter sits in the prism housing and takes its reading off the screen (as almost all SLRs/DSLRs do). The split image screen in the center of the screen will lead to a very different reading, than with the pure matte screen, for which the meter was calibrated.

Ben
08-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I read one thread on the other forum where someone talked about switching it out all the time but i would find that too much trouble.

It does mess up the spot metering a bunch, so i leave it on center weighted.

Since most folks pp their RAW or jpg, i don't think spot metering matters so much anymore provided you have the subject area not blown out.

I find the occasional split screen focusing far more useful than the spot metering so i leave the screen in all the time and just complain about it :-)

Your wife won't have any problem with it provided you leave the camera on center-weighted.

Phil B