Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #1

Filters

Hey guys, I need some ND and Polarizing filters, I read about it brands quality, etc, and the thought I got in the end is If I want quality, I Will have to pay for it, but my budget isn't very big, and I don't want to stretch it has filters aren't something I use often, atm I'm thinking of going with circular filters, from Hoya buying the biggest one I need and stepping down for the smaller lenses, does it seem a viable option for you guys?
Thanks Nuno

11-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuno Almeida Quote
Hey guys, I need some ND and Polarizing filters, I read about it brands quality, etc, and the thought I got in the end is If I want quality, I Will have to pay for it, but my budget isn't very big, and I don't want to stretch it has filters aren't something I use often, atm I'm thinking of going with circular filters, from Hoya buying the biggest one I need and stepping down for the smaller lenses, does it seem a viable option for you guys?
Thanks Nuno
Hey Nuno,

What I ended up deciding was that 77mm filters were my sweet spot. They can be adapted for smaller lenses and even slightly larger filters without significant vignetting, from what I've read in reviews. One easy way to save money is to buy filters used, as I've always found them to be in great condition when buying from B&H, Adorama or KEH. You probably want multicoated filters to avoid colour casts.

If you do decide to use step rings, consider the 'thin-mount' versions of filters. They're more expensive, but less likely to vignette when you have to put them on a non-native lens.

Looking through my filters bag, I have...
  • a B&W 1-5-Stop Variable ND filter. Good for video, avoiding refresh lines when computer screens are in a shot or flash photography.
  • a B&W 10-Stop ND filter. Good for traditional ND shots, like waterfalls, blurring people, etc. Needs a tripod.
  • a B&W Circular Polariser. Fun for playing with reflections.
  • a Hoya Infrared filter (720nm). On par with the B&W filters in every respect, IMO.
11-10-2016, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #3

I would agree with lithedreamer
77mm is a great choice, you can use step down rings to get you to any lens, or step up if you are not to much bigger
B&W and Hoya make great filters - either would serve you well

In my bag -

B&W 10-stop ND - water falls, streams etc
B&W 5 stop ND - for stacking or flash, less or more dreamy water
Hoya CPL - sky, lake reflections etc.
11-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think about when you use PL filter. Usually (?) scenery w/ sky and not wide angle. Anyway identify the important scenario(s), and if that means likely a much smaller diameter lens, then buy the filter for that lens.

Also I suggest you get a used linear PL lens--you can get a good one for little money and it likely will work as well as circular one. You can always spend 10x more on a large diameter circular one later. And multi-coated ones are very costly so personally I wouldn't bother.

11-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Think about when you use PL filter. Usually (?) scenery w/ sky and not wide angle. Anyway identify the important scenario(s), and if that means likely a much smaller diameter lens, then buy the filter for that lens.

Also I suggest you get a used linear PL lens--you can get a good one for little money and it likely will work as well as circular one. You can always spend 10x more on a large diameter circular one later. And multi-coated ones are very costly so personally I wouldn't bother.
I respectfully disagree with this advice. Filters have actually gotten cheaper, I just checked. The most expensive 77mm B&W filter at B&H is about $100. That's multicoated and thin, for stacking or using a step rings. B&H and Adorama are both doing extended returns, so you have months to find out if this is something you use in your kit or not. Even if you slip that date, Keh.com buys them for $25. Not much -you could get double that or more selling yourself- but hassle-free cash, and you'll have tried the best, so there shouldn't be any doubt in your mind about whether maybe a circular polariser may have been more useful.
11-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Nuno
My only concern with your plan is that going with a large filter and step down rings might limit your ability to use the lens shade. I would rather be without a filter than without the lens shade.
11-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
My only concern with your plan is that going with a large filter and step down rings might limit your ability to use the lens shade. I would rather be without a filter than without the lens shade.
I've used my hands in a pinch.

Like yesterday. I was working a job for a bank that insisted I used their app to take photos rather than a real camera. The flare was so painful, I'm definitely inclined to agree.
11-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all, was also thinking on 77 has it is the diameter on my current biggest lens, I am after long exposure in bright situations, making people disappear, creating mist out of waves, etc, I have a cheap variable ND I have been playing with, but I need more quality, I was thinking about square filters, but the price on quality ones goes above what I want to pay.
The shade... Well I do have screw on shades, but the black foamy thing could always find a extra use

11-11-2016, 12:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you all, was also thinking on 77 has it is the diameter on my current biggest lens, I am after long exposure in bright situations, making people disappear, creating mist out of waves, etc, I have a cheap variable ND I have been playing with, but I need more quality, I was thinking about square filters, but the price on quality ones goes above what I want to pay.
The shade... Well I do have screw on shades, but the black foamy thing could always find a extra use
Cool, I recommend a 10-stop ND filter for those kinds of things. Here's the one I use, for just under a $100 new, multicoated, B&W, 77mm: B + W 77mm #110M 3.0 (1000X) Neutral Density Glass Filter - Multi Coated 66-1066186
11-11-2016, 02:44 AM   #10

The best filters on the market without a doubt are Breakthrough Photography. Here's a quick review:

MATT BISHOP PHOTOGRAPHY | REVIEW BREAKTHROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY ND FILTERS AT A GLANCE
11-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I respectfully disagree with this advice. Filters have actually gotten cheaper, I just checked. The most expensive 77mm B&W filter at B&H is about $100. That's multicoated and thin, for stacking or using a step rings. B&H and Adorama are both doing extended returns, so you have months to find out if this is something you use in your kit or not. Even if you slip that date, Keh.com buys them for $25. Not much -you could get double that or more selling yourself- but hassle-free cash, and you'll have tried the best, so there shouldn't be any doubt in your mind about whether maybe a circular polariser may have been more useful.
As far as I know, Pentax is still taking their light meter readings off of the focusing screen. This precludes metering error with a linear polarizer. A linear polarizer may blind the AF sensor, but generally, if one is using a polarizer, AF is not going to be a necessity anyway, or AF can be used then the polarizer turned to where it is wanted. With Pentax, there is no pressing reason to use a circular polarizer.
I have picked up a number of very good linear polarizers over the years from camera store junk bins, which seems to be their resting place now that everyone has been successfully brainwashed into thinking they have to use circular polarizers.
One can get excellent polarizers for pennies on the dollar this way.
11-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I use B+W filters.