Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it is worth:

here is my experience, over the past 8 days, with my current set up.

on 11/30, I added photos to show the set up

I use a Pentax K 3 along with the optional battery pack/grip. I carry one battery in the grip and one in the camera. I would either have a Tamron AF 70 - 300 mm macro zoom or a Pentax 16 - 85 mm zoom attached to the K 3. This info is given to give you an idea of the weight of the system.

I have the Optech USA ultility strap which goes over the opposing shoulder across the chest (and back) slinging the camera on my right hip. It allows me to quickly slide the camera into shooting position from where it hangs off my right hip. It is attached at the right attachment point on the top of the camera so the camera's hand grip is on top. My newly acquired joby ultra plate + hand strap is attached to the same right attachment point. and the ultra plate is attached to the bottom of the optional grip.

I can quickly detach the sling from the camera by unclipping it if I want to.

I used the above described set up while walking at the Topeka Zoological Park, the KC Zoo and the Omaha Zoo. At the latter two zoos I also climbed in and out over zoo trams with it.

I have not used the set up with a tripod or monopod yet. So I have not tested the compatibility of the ultra plate nor the ability to slide it as an adjustment when using the tripod or monopod.

I like the system: the hand grip is securely fastened and allows me to loosely grip the camera as I walk along to prevent any swaying or to grip it tightly should I want to.

I had to recharged the batteries, the one in the grip was no problem since it is accessed from the side opposite of the hand grip. To access the one in the camera body, I just had to release the grip (which I would have to do regardless of the Joby ultra plate and hand strap) and access the battery which is on the base plate. I did not have to release the ultra plate nor the hand grip, a very useful design feature.

I am very pleased so far with the set up. The only down side I foresee is that you have to use an "Allen" (hex) wrench to tighten the ultra plate in place instead of a coin/screw driver.

YMMV

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-30-2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added photos to show set up
12-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I'm looking at the Peak Design Slide strap. Does anyone know if it works well for someone with a stockier build? In the product videos the camera sits perfectly but the models are all slim.

Also how well does their camera plate stay straight? I had a hard time finding one for my K-50 that didn't rotate and settled on a SunwayFoto DPG-39R, which I have to mount backwards (lip toward the front of the camera) because of the K-50's awkward rounded rear edge. The good thing is that the DPG-39R has a cutout where I can attach a strap, but it's on the opposite side because I've turned it 180 degrees.
12-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

pm sent
12-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
I'm looking at the Peak Design Slide strap. Does anyone know if it works well for someone with a stockier build? In the product videos the camera sits perfectly but the models are all slim.

Also how well does their camera plate stay straight? I had a hard time finding one for my K-50 that didn't rotate and settled on a SunwayFoto DPG-39R, which I have to mount backwards (lip toward the front of the camera) because of the K-50's awkward rounded rear edge. The good thing is that the DPG-39R has a cutout where I can attach a strap, but it's on the opposite side because I've turned it 180 degrees.
I guess it depends on your definition of stocky. I'm far from model thin, and it works great on me. The strap is very very adjustable.

Do you mean 'does the camera plate comes loose'? It has rubber ridges which seem to do a good job of preventing that, in my experience. Unless you use Manfrotto stuff, get the standard plate, as I've found that stays a bit better than the ProPlate.

12-22-2016, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Do you mean 'does the camera plate comes loose'? It has rubber ridges which seem to do a good job of preventing that, in my experience. Unless you use Manfrotto stuff, get the standard plate, as I've found that stays a bit better than the ProPlate.
Yes, I think that's what I meant. The plate that I have currently has an anti-twist feature in the way of a built-in lip or bumper that keeps it aligned. However, I found that I still needed to tighten it down significantly, so I wonder if maybe I didn't need that feature after all. Maybe I just needed to put more torque on the screw.

Stocky here just means heavier set... not extreme. I wasn't sure if the strap had enough adjustability to accommodate most body types, but it sounds like it does.

Thanks!
12-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I can quickly detach the sling from the camera by unclipping it if I want to.
That is the main perk of the Op/Tech system. I've used it for two years, loved the modularity and versatility, the fact that I can unclip the camera quickly while keeping the sling around me.

These days I'm testing the Peak Design Slide strap, it's better made, just as modular (different but comparable), but you have to use two clips to hold on to the camera. I'm thinking about modifying an Anchor Clip (which you can buy alone) to close the loop of the sling, then attach to one point on the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Also how well does their camera plate stay straight?
Extremely well so far. Excellent grippy texture (I'm using the Capture Pro plate, a bit larger than the plate which came with the Slide strap).
12-23-2016, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Thanks @Aslyfox, @lithedreamer, and @bdery for the responses.

B&H is currently offering an extended holiday returns policy, so I took advantage of that for some extra time to trial it after the holidays. I settled on a bundle with the Peak slide and the Clutch hand grip. It should hopefully last me well into the next camera body or beyond.

12-27-2016, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI folks

Went out yesterday with the equipment listed below supported by my Optech USA Utility strap sling to test the system described below. The first photo is the Pentax 16 - 85 mm zoom, the second is the big guy - HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW, both zooms locked into the shortest possible focal length

[the t shirt is the latest Joe Madden charity t shirt celebrating the Cubs 2016 W S Championship , one of the softest t shirts I have ever wore - a championship ring with a goat on it.]

I walked around the Topeka Zoological Park and even walked up and down some stairs. felt comfortable with no fears of the sling and/or hand grip failing because of weight. Weight of lens was quite noticeable but could be managed. Although I must say that the shear mass of the camera and lens hanging off my right hip was quite daunting.

for a while, I had the sling supporting the weight of a monopod as well.

K 3
Size (W x H x D)
131.5 x 100 x 77.5 mm
Weight
715 g (800 g with battery and SD card)

extra battery grip for K 3 (weight for grip and extra battery ???)

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW (new to me Christmas/Birthday present)

Diam x Length
95 x 241.5 mm (3.7 x 9.5 in.)
Weight
2000 g (70.5 oz.)
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Joby UltraFit Hand Strap with Ultra Plate
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-27-2016 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added photos
12-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I had a chance to set up the Peak Design straps, similar to what Aslyfox did. I've got the Slide strap attached to the left side of the K-50 anchored at the left side strap lug and the left side of the bottom plate. That lets me carry it cross-body over my left shoulder and have the camera hanging on my right with the camera grip facing out for quick access. The Clutch hand grip rides on the right and is attached the same way.

It would have been nice to be able to attach a connector for the strap on the right lug as well, but it doesn't fit while the hand grip is installed. The camera lug is not wide enough, so it's one or the other. (unless you find a way to modify it)

The strap itself is wide and hefty, so if you're using it on a tripod it is best to remove the strap. I can see this strap easily catching the wind and contributing to camera shake. Fortunately disconnecting is quick and painless with this system.

The hand strap is neat but I noticed that it needs to be kept loose. If I tighten it down then I lose mobility and am unable to reach the exposure compensation and green buttons behind the shutter button. It probably depends on camera model and the size of your hands. There's still enough security even when it's kept loose that I don't feel like I would drop the camera.

In the first pic both strap and hand grip are installed.
In the second pic the strap is removed, leaving the anchor links behind.
Last pic shows the whole kit mounted up on the tripod.

*Note: The Pentax DA 18-135 WR lens has some zoom creep. The barrel will extend under its own weight while it's hanging at your side and you're moving around. This is unfortunate.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1254  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XT1254  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XT1254  Photo 
12-29-2016, 03:28 AM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

your set up appears very nice. remember you are going to want what is best for you not what others think looks right or what they would do

have fun
12-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So it appears the OP has made a choice but, in the spirit of these forums, we'll keep on commenting because :-) we just can't help ourselves from being helpful.

So here's my two cents:

Please see my original review of the Peak Design Slide here: Peak Design Slide reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

And the ensuing discussion with lots of helpful advice here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/308067...de-clutch.html

Now that some time and experience has accumulated, I would like to add these thoughts: I use the Peak Design slide, slide lite, and leash for different purposes, and have found them to behave flawlessly for each. Here's how and why:

1 - The Peak Design design is really strong. For anyone worried about this thing giving way because it's attached via your tripod screw, that's just balderdash. Or, major user error. In which case, you shouldn't be carrying around expensive equipment until you can be trusted with it. No, seriously, this system is STRONG. And, by the way, you can use a quarter to tighten/loosen it. A major plus in my book.

2 - I use the heavier Sling to haul my K3II with the Sigma 150-500. I attach the sling to the lens and feel very comfortable having that weight hanging over my shoulders. So great for quick lifting to get that fast shot, then back down it goes. You so want that big lens pointing down and stabilizing on your hip.

3 - I use the Sling lite for carrying the K3 with anything lighter than the Sigma. Often, the 18-135. Or 300. Love the way it carries and you can pick it up and let it down at a moment's notice.

4 - speaking of carrying, please see the photo below. Many folks are carrying their cams/lenses with a singular attachment point. I can tell you after many miles of trekking that allowing the gear to settle on your hip with two different attachment points is fantastic. It doesn't bounce, it doesn't...do anything. I just sits there flat on your hip waiting to be deployed. There are always individual preferences and I respect those, but do think twice about the advantages of dual-point attachment before you commit. I love it.

5 - I use the leash on everything lighter than my K3II. Like, my little Sony M3. The leash is perfect for lightweight or mirrorless cams.

I enjoy the heck out of this set of leashes/slings. I've decided my favorite is the Slide Lite. I'm ordering another one right now.

Last edited by Kath; 12-30-2016 at 11:56 AM.
12-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
So it appears the OP has made a choice but, in the spirit of these forums, we'll keep on commenting because we just can't help ourselves from being helpful.
You're not hurting my feelings. Keep on posting. I can learn more as I go along. If I find something better I will try it out. Also it can most definitely help others in the same situation... I don't know how many times I've read through threads and heard varying opinions on a subject and it was enough for me to form a basic opinion or make a more wise purchase.

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. It could help people for years to come so I definitely welcome the discussions.
12-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Peak design Slide. That thing is awesome very comfortable to use, switch carry style on the fly. Very happy with it personally
12-30-2016, 04:05 AM   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the thread continuing (no offense meant to those who don't)

How else will I find out about the new antigravity systems allowing us to carry tons of equipment effortlessly

(You all know you will want one)
12-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #45
Veteran Member

It looks like the K-3 has a better strap lug design than the K-50. With that camera I would probably have no issues attaching another Slide anchor link to the same point as the Clutch grip.