Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
I had a chance to set up the Peak Design straps, similar to what Aslyfox did. I've got the Slide strap attached to the left side of the K-50 anchored at the left side strap lug and the left side of the bottom plate. That lets me carry it cross-body over my left shoulder and have the camera hanging on my right with the camera grip facing out for quick access. The Clutch hand grip rides on the right and is attached the same way.

It would have been nice to be able to attach a connector for the strap on the right lug as well, but it doesn't fit while the hand grip is installed. The camera lug is not wide enough, so it's one or the other. (unless you find a way to modify it)

The strap itself is wide and hefty, so if you're using it on a tripod it is best to remove the strap. I can see this strap easily catching the wind and contributing to camera shake. Fortunately disconnecting is quick and painless with this system.

The hand strap is neat but I noticed that it needs to be kept loose. If I tighten it down then I lose mobility and am unable to reach the exposure compensation and green buttons behind the shutter button. It probably depends on camera model and the size of your hands. There's still enough security even when it's kept loose that I don't feel like I would drop the camera.

In the first pic both strap and hand grip are installed.
In the second pic the strap is removed, leaving the anchor links behind.
Last pic shows the whole kit mounted up on the tripod.

*Note: The Pentax DA 18-135 WR lens has some zoom creep. The barrel will extend under its own weight while it's hanging at your side and you're moving around. This is unfortunate.
Just a note that it is possible to use a neck strap + hand strap with the Peak Design solutions. That's how my K-30 is set up. Photo attached.

Attached Images

12-30-2016, 09:17 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Just a note that it is possible to use a neck strap + hand strap with the Peak Design solutions. That's how my K-30 is set up. Photo attached.
I tried to thread it through like that but I don't see a way. Are you sure the K-50's strap lug isn't tighter than the K-30's?
12-30-2016, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

I spoke too soon, lithe. You were right. I got it... after a bit of a struggle!

Back to happy Thanks!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1254  Photo 

Last edited by lightbox; 12-30-2016 at 10:22 PM.
12-31-2016, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These stainless rings are really helpful for attaching multiple accessories. Gives you a lot more room.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
12-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #50
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
These stainless rings are really helpful for attaching multiple accessories. Gives you a lot more room.
That looks like it takes all the fun out of it

(As well as being a good idea )
12-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was an OpTech sling guy since 2012, plus accessories, until my sling up and vanished on me a couple months ago. Have no idea where it went. Decided to try the PD Slide2 as a replacement, but left the Optech clips attached as well for hand straps. I haven't been using my cameras a lot since getting the PD Slide, only a couple outings with it, but so far am not set on it being better than the Optech for me. I like the PDSlide adjust-ability and feel in general but like the Optech slingy-ness just as well or better (I've always had mine attached to right side by shutter button and bottom QR plate, where it's always felt safe and reliable and easy to deal with.). Maybe I am just missing the sling aspect after it being so second nature all these years... I will give the Slide more time of course considering the pricey investment, but as of right now kind of regretting the gamble and may eventually go back to Optech.
12-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone have any experience with the Custom SLR glide strap?

Custom SLR Glide One Strap with Black C-Loop SSG1B B&H Photo

It was suggested to me by a physical therapist as a way to get load off the base of the neck and more over the shoulders, yet it's easy to raise the camera up quickly.

It looks like it might be interesting for daytime walkabouts, but you do loose the tripod mount.

12-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
That looks like it takes all the fun out of it

(As well as being a good idea )
Hahahahahahaha! Well, yes, it does.
01-03-2017, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #54
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, reading how many like the Peak Design sling, I'm going to order one to try it out. I knew I shouldn't have read this thread!
01-04-2017, 06:43 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Does anyone have any experience with the Custom SLR glide strap?
It looks exactly like many knockoff from eBay, and it's also basically the same design as the Op-Tech (and to some extend the Peak Design).
01-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It looks exactly like many knockoff from eBay, and it's also basically the same design as the Op-Tech (and to some extend the Peak Design).

Thanks - I was thinking the same thing. I am wondering if the split on the back strap makes any real difference - 3 herniated discs in my neck makes lugging camera stuff a perpetual challenge. So far, finding my old (90's) Tamrac MAS bag and belt coupled with shoulder strap OK, but always looking for some improvements for just the camera.
01-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I am wondering if the split on the back strap makes any real difference
I tried one such strap for a short time, and didn't notice any difference. A longer test might have yielded a more robust opinion.
01-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #58
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Do you find that the rings mark up the camera body? If not, I'd sure go for them!
01-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #59
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it is worth:

I have added to my protective equipment. I added a Joby Camera Tether - Convertible Neck Strap: Camera strap for DSLR and Mirrorless/CSC Cameras

["Provides a backup connection between camera strap and camera for peace of mind and additional security."]

which I have attached to the upper left anchor of the camera I then attach the lockable d ring to my sling. In the case of the quick release attachment of the sling failing for any reason, the camera tether will keep the camera still attached to and supported by the cross body sling.

Hopefully I will never know if it works.
01-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Do you find that the rings mark up the camera body? If not, I'd sure go for them!
Hi Carol. I've been using the rings for a couple of years now and, no they haven't scuffed up the body at all.