Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Need Assistance Choosing a Sling (Thanks!)

I saw one of these kind of slings and I am thinking about trying something like this out. It seems to me like it would be a whole lot more comfortable than the same old neck strap that I have on my camera now.

Before I buy anything though I would like to get input from forum members that have experience with this or something similar.

If you have recommendations for a similar but better product by all means please help me out here.

Case Logic Quick Sling Cross-body Camera Strap DCS-101 B&H Photo

The idea is to have a sling or something where I can carry my camera for long periods of time but that won't be uncomfortable but will allow me relatively easy access.

11-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have tried 3 brands until now, BlackRapid, Optech, PeakDesign

From these 3 the least i dont like is the BlackRapid the padding is too bulky and thend to slip de weight of the camera... my second place is the Optech: great padding, but, the material is made make it bounce, it doenst slip, but i can feel it bounce and that feeling make me think is very close to snap and throw my gear to the ground, but overall construction and quality is very high, and my favorite is the Peak Design, the padding isnt as good as the Optech, but better than the BlackRapid , it doenst bounce and it can be adjust very quickly, i like a little more the amchor mechanism of the PeakDesign as is smaller than the one of the Optech, but i think the Optech is a stronger anchor system

11-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two of the Peak Design Summit Edition straps, those are my favourite. Comfortable, easy to remove, don't take up the tripod socket, easy to clean and adjust.
11-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I also went with the Peak Design, after using BlackRapid for years! I disliked having to remove the strap (BlackRapid") to put the camera on the tripod.

11-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been very happy with my Black Rapid sling strap. The cushioning seems just right and I never have a problem with it moving around. I often wear it under a backpack and it's still quite comfortable. I bought a Black Rapid accessory for my tripod plate so I don't need to remove it when using the strap. That allowed me to keep the tripod plate on the camera for all of my last trip, even while using the strap.
11-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use the Op/Tech USA utility sling and really like it. The comment virusn3t made about 'bounce' is from the neoprene shoulder pad stretching and returning slightly as it absorbs the loads and shocks, it's designed to do that and I don't think it's an issue at all.

I also have a leather hand strap on my camera like this one (mine is just a generic one I picked up on Ebay)....

As it makes use of the right camera strap lug I use both of the Op/Tech uniloop connectors, one on the left camera strap lug and one on the base plate of the hand strap. This means I have two points of attachment to the Op/Tech sling instead of one which which provides extra security in case one fails (not that I think it ever would as they are very well made). I clip the the male and female uniloop connectors together when I'm not using the sling which prevents them flopping around and also acts as a second hand grip on the left side of the camera if I ever need it.

I did a lot of research before I bought mine and came to the conclusion that I didn't really like the straps that screw into the tripod socket as I felt that was a weak part of the design (I have an engineering background) and I have seen photos on the net of fittings that have failed and allowed the camera to drop to the ground (either through metal fatigue/stress fractures or the metal loop simply pulled out of the screw base).
11-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
A cautionary word if I may, for which ever system you decide on, if its tripod screw mounting, ensure that you have a secondary additional mounting strap to camera.

11-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
If you have recommendations for a similar but better product by all means please help me out here.
Try here:

gordy's camera straps

I can attest to the quality of Gordy's products. I have no experience with his slings, but his wrist straps are top notch.

Last edited by jlstrawman; 11-13-2016 at 02:48 PM.
11-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I use the Op/Tech USA utility sling and really like it. The comment virusn3t made about 'bounce' is from the neoprene shoulder pad stretching and returning slightly as it absorbs the loads and shocks, it's designed to do that and I don't think it's an issue at all....
Im sorry if i was missinterpreted, i never say the "bounce" was due bad design, im a "fast walker" and i just dont feel very secure with the bouncing at every steep.
11-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's fine and understandable. I hold onto the camera most of the time while it's hanging on the sling anyway so I don't find the bounce to be an issue.
11-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two Peak Design's Slide, one on each camera body, and love its comfort and versatility...
11-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

another vote for Op/Tech USA utility sling. I first used it on our recent trip to Tanzania. I like the fact that it leaves the tripod thread free. I usually have my hand lightly on the camera as well as added security, just in case and i don;t notice any excessive bounce even if I don't have my hand lightly resting on the camera.
11-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies!!! I can't reply to everyone individually so here are my general thoughts.

The neck strap is ok for short term carrying but after an hour or so it gets very uncomfortable.

On the sling that I put up I like the concept but I am not 100% comfortable with the way it attaches to the camera. One little piece of plastic breaks or if that screw comes undone and a few grand goes crashing down. That is a very big deal so thank you all for pointing that out.

I like that OP/Tech sling... that looks pretty good. On looking at their website I might get a wrist strap and a sling. Does anyone know if the clips are interchangeable between the wrist strap and the sling etc etc?

Another question...the utility strap and the urban sling... between those two does anyone have any experience?

PS that trip strap might be a good thing too

That belt loop thing is pretty cool for added security and to keep the camera from flopping around as well.
11-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #14
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Black Rapid RS-7 Sling Strap: BlackRapid RS-7 Curve Camera Strap (Black) RS7-1BB B&H Photo but only because I was after one and this is what they had in the store. I've not used any other sling straps to compare it with and found it comfortable during all day use with the Pentax 70-200 on it. The sling gave me access to that lens whilst I also had the 150-450 mounted on a monopod.

So I was after the shoulder strap to use with telephoto lenses at sporting events and of the couple of types the store had the Black rapid seemed to be the best option. Some elements of this strap I like are it's well constructed, the design of the screw gate carabiner with secondary lock for securing the lock nut to, as well as the locking clips that are on the strap. These clips can be locked to keep the camera (or lens in my case) at the bottom of the strap and more stable. Fur use you unlock the front clip to allow the camera to slide up the front strap. The clips worked well from my experience and seem to be a feature on a number of different brands of sling.

Before I'd bought this model I was more interested in one that had a second supporting strap based on the assumption that it would allow the shoulder piece to remain in place on the shoulder and maybe even take some of the load. This is what I'm referring to here: BlackRapid | Curve Breathe Alas again I can't comment on how effective this would be as I don't have one on mine.

Like Larry indicated above I also use a handstrap, mine is this Joby model: Camera Hand Strap | Ultra Fit Hand Strap With Ultra Plate which allows me to carry the camera in the hand but still attach the sling strap as a secondary attachment system if I want.This approach is of course not relevant with telephoto lenses as I attach the sling to the lens tripod foot and avoid supporting the weight via the hand strap on the camera.

Judgning from some comments above I might actually look into a seconday system before my next outing.

Tas
11-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Thanks for all the replies!!! I can't reply to everyone individually so here are my general thoughts.

The neck strap is ok for short term carrying but after an hour or so it gets very uncomfortable.

On the sling that I put up I like the concept but I am not 100% comfortable with the way it attaches to the camera. One little piece of plastic breaks or if that screw comes undone and a few grand goes crashing down. That is a very big deal so thank you all for pointing that out.

I like that OP/Tech sling... that looks pretty good. On looking at their website I might get a wrist strap and a sling. Does anyone know if the clips are interchangeable between the wrist strap and the sling etc etc?

Another question...the utility strap and the urban sling... between those two does anyone have any experience?

PS that trip strap might be a good thing too

That belt loop thing is pretty cool for added security and to keep the camera from flopping around as well.
when I was looking at slings, I contacted them and they were very wiling to work with me and answer any and all questions.