Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2016, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You mean those uncomfortable ill-fitting vests made of fabric that has the texture of a burlap-sack and gives the appearance that you regularly stuff your vest pockets with dinner rolls?

no thanks. If I absolutely have to keep a lens on hand, I'll put it on the ground nearby or in my pocket....Is that an FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro in your pocket? or are you just happy to see me?

11-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #32
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had one years ago; and have no idea what I did with it. Now, that I'm living in the mountains, one would work great for me, rather than carrying a bag with extra lens(s), etc. Guess I'll start a search to find one again! No one around here to laugh at how I look; only the wildlife, never cared what others thought of how I looked, anyway.

Don't know what vests you've seen that have the texture of a burlap sack; the one I had was made of very smooth material.
11-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You mean those uncomfortable ill-fitting vests made of fabric that has the texture of a burlap-sack and gives the appearance that you regularly stuff your vest pockets with dinner rolls?

I never realized that was a "thing", but come to think of it...

My vest holds 9 dinner rolls...
11-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I never realized that was a "thing", but come to think of it...

My vest holds 9 dinner rolls...
"Field Rations"

Mike, i have to admit i an interested in seeing ehat you look like wehn youre all kitted up.

11-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
"Field Rations"

Mike, i have to admit i an interested in seeing ehat you look like wehn youre all kitted up.
this is how i roll...

Last edited by mikeSF; 11-19-2016 at 10:06 PM.
11-19-2016, 10:29 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I Just can't wear vests, my core heats up before my extremities, even in 20 below, my coats and layers are open and a single layer of T-shirt is exposed to the elements. Tess gave me one, I don't even know where it is.
You need an opposite vest. Sleeves with pockets. Lenses on your shoulders and dangling from your elbows.
11-19-2016, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
You need an opposite vest. Sleeves with pockets. Lenses on your shoulders and dangling from your elbows.
The scary thing is that this probably exists, exactly as described.

11-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Hiking in rough terrain through boulder gardens etc. on a regular basis. I try and keep all my photo gear in one contraption that can be steered out of harm's way, usually while sacrificing my body. I'm going to suffer spills, it's all about planning for what happens when I do down. Lenses in positions where they can't all be accounted for is just a really bad idea. Vest or sleeves.
11-20-2016, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If anyone is wondering why I posted the same thing three times in a row, it is simple. I have three vests!

Sorry for the triple post.
11-21-2016, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
this is how i roll...

You are a badass. Thanks for sharing, and I love the sentiment in the text of your photo.
12-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Airlines are pretty limiting with what you can carry in your bags due to ever decreasing size restrictions.
But they currently do not limit what you "wear". I'll go with pockets stuffed with lenses and other gear.
A photo vest is great for stuffing loads of things for your flight.
It does not make for a terribly comfortable ride, but it is better than finding that you need to have your bag of gear checked because the plane was swapped out for a smaller one with no overhead bins.
Great idea. Thanks!

I have a 'old' brand new photography jacket shoved in the cupboard somewhere. I think they look incredibly dorky BUT this might be the perfect use for them as my camera gear always sends my hand luggage way over the limit. Wear it when checking in and then dump it once on board. No issue in the 'old days' but now they weigh even your hand luggage in an attempt to extort some more money out of you. Could be the perfect place to carry my DA*300.

---------- Post added 12-23-16 at 12:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Often. Has notebook and pens ( wound with gaffers tape), business cards, lens cloth, grey card, Digisix meter, spare batteries, memory cards, glasses, granola bars, phone, etc. Often a speed light & flag, flash remote and another lens besides the wide and long on each of my cameras which are on my shoulders. Camera & speed light bags stay in truck,

Whoa! Old school heh? Way to go...

Last edited by Theov39; 12-23-2016 at 01:34 PM.
12-23-2016, 01:31 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I think they look incredibly dorky BUT this might be the perfect use for them as my camera gear always send my hand luggage way over the limit.
When I was a teenager, "dorky" would have concerned me. But that was a long time ago.

I wear mine in total equanimity.
12-23-2016, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
When I was a teenager, "dorky" would have concerned me. But that was a long time ago.

I wear mine in total equanimity.
this!

---------- Post added 12-23-2016 at 09:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
You are a badass. Thanks for sharing, and I love the sentiment in the text of your photo.
thanks!
01-16-2017, 03:37 AM - 3 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

Ok, a bit late on this one - overslept. While I do not own an official 'photovest', I do have a multiple-pocketed lightweight gilet with large pockets, which is extremely useful for limited kit. I also, as apparently do other contributors, put food in the pockets, but not in the ones I use for Photo-Gear, which are kept scrupulously clean. My gilet has a large rear 'poachers pocket', into which I put my sarnies. This does give me a somewhat strange appearance at the rear (to match the front), and I have been referred to as 'The Lunchpack of Notre Dame'.

Tony
01-16-2017, 04:55 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I go shooting looking so daggy at times that even rainbows won't come near me.... bulky jacket from a repurpose shop with lots of pockets for $20

Dressed down with somewhere to go.
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr