Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #46
Pentaxian

I have one from the 90s that I use when I think it will be handy. I am more likely to use it shooting large format than my Pentax gear as for the latter it does not assist me much at all. For that I wear a belt with lens cases attached.

A person I know wears one all the time even when he does not have any cameras with him.

I think that if I ever go on some photo walk with lots of people I do not know I will wear mine and only have my Holga with me. I did find it useful on some travels that were Centre on photography even though I mostly wear cargo shorts or pants.

01-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll wear anything if it's equipped with enough pockets
01-21-2017, 03:59 AM   #48
Pentaxian

The depth of the pockets is also important. You could take a politician - they have very deep pockets, apparently.

Tony
02-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #49

Photo Vest

I occasionally use a photo vest, depends on the situation. I photograph railroads a lot and my vest can be turned inside out to show orange safety markings. I'd rather be safe and go home then be fashionable

02-05-2017, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Along with your photo vest don't forget your large photo backpack.
You wouldn't want to be caught without your entire gear collection!

Chris
02-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
You wouldn't want to be caught without your entire gear collection!
But of course - bodies, lenses, flash all in backpack, monopod attached insecurely at the rear, and a tripod in each hand, I'm ready for anything. Luckily I can hold my OAP bus pass in my teeth.
02-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also use a vest quite a bit, though it is the Uncle Milty, which has lots of pockets but probably wasn't designed specifically for photography. Most often, I have a mirrorless camera in one of the pockets, some extra batteries, maybe a compact lens and the rest are for non photo items normally kept in a day pack. A K3 or K1 is around my neck.
03-19-2017, 09:41 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Back in the early 1990's I saved Fujifim box tops and with a few bucks got a Fujifilm labeled vest, but only wore it a few times.
I have an unlined jacket with zip off sleeves, and many pockets when I want to carry gear, as long as it's not too hot or cold outside.
My son in this photo is now 29 years old, and my hair is grey.

03-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #54
Pentaxian

The best use for these jackets these days is to carry heavy lenses on-board a flight when your carry-on luggage is too heavy!
03-19-2017, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

I am still clinging to the last vestiges of my youth, so no.
03-19-2017, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
The best use for these jackets these days is to carry heavy lenses on-board a flight when your carry-on luggage is too heavy!
Smart!
03-20-2017, 03:36 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still wear mine often. Its great for storing all manner of things but also is a drab color that helps with wildlife pics. I have one for fishing as well...same reason though my fishing one is thinner fabric.

Interestingly enough many people also still associate that vest with being a photographer or fisherman depending on if you are holding a fishing rod or camera. The vest seems to impart the illusion of being a professional at what you do. This can be good or bad depending on what you are doing.

Al
03-20-2017, 03:43 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I don't have a fear of water, but I have an odd fear of drowning if using a vest, though I rarely shoot near water.
03-20-2017, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

I look like a doofus enough on my own. I don't need any help!
03-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #60
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just like Alton Brown in the great food show "Good Eats"

Good Eats | Food Network

I hate single "taskers" and greatly prefer "multitasker" items

so years ago I got a multi pocketed "adventure" vest and an "8 in 1" field jacket from Cabelas

so when the time is right, I can carry equipment in the vest or I can carry it in the field jacket - the "game bag" section is ideal for large lenses such as the 150 - 450 zoom or the sweater

I unload the back pack or the car, load up, doesn't take much to make the vest extremely heavy !!!! or the jacket or the sweater whatever is the best choice and off I go

what to use, it all depends but options are various.

and of course, I don't have to use any of it if I don't want to.

options are good

isn't that why we have DSLRs or SLRs and multiple lenses

Options