Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Airlines are pretty limiting with what you can carry in your bags due to ever decreasing size restrictions.
But they currently do not limit what you "wear". I'll go with pockets stuffed with lenses and other gear.
A photo vest is great for stuffing loads of things for your flight.
It does not make for a terribly comfortable ride, but it is better than finding that you need to have your bag of gear checked because the plane was swapped out for a smaller one with no overhead bins.

11-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have worn out three Banana Republic "Photojournalist Vests". I'm currently in the market for the next thing, but if I find another Banana Republic vest I'm buying it.
11-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I'm 31 years old and have been shooting for ten years. I'd never thought of using one probably because they were passe when I started photography. I usually carry a bag and wear cargo shorts when I shoot.
That would be interesting to see you carry a large lens in a cargo short pocket !
11-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I'm 31 years old and have been shooting for ten years. I'd never thought of using one probably because they were passe when I started photography. I usually carry a bag and wear cargo shorts when I shoot.

That would be interesting to see you carry a large lens in a cargo short pocket !

11-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My vests come from Bass Pro Shops. It has an incredible number of pockets and is only $40. I like it as I can stuff things everywhere. It also keeps weight off the neck.

I wear one almost all the time, with or without the camera.
11-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My vests come from Bass Pro Shops. It has an incredible number of pockets and is only $40. I like it as I can stuff things everywhere. It also keeps weight off the neck.

11-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

11-16-2016, 02:12 AM   #23
Brooke Meyer

Often. Has notebook and pens ( wound with gaffers tape), business cards, lens cloth, grey card, Digisix meter, spare batteries, memory cards, glasses, granola bars, phone, etc. Often a speed light & flag, flash remote and another lens besides the wide and long on each of my cameras which are on my shoulders. Camera & speed light bags stay in truck,

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 11-16-2016 at 02:18 AM.
11-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I have one in a closet still. Has all those wonderful pockets all over it.
When I first got it I was amazed at how I could hide all my photo gear away, and even a couple of lenses in the big side pockets.

Trouble is, I then couldn't find anything for most of the day (did I put that polarizer in the left top flap pocket, or the zippered pocket behind it????).

When I went to sit down at a picnic table, it was so uncomfortable I had to take it off.

As the day wore on, I felt like an idiot wearing it. I don't think I've used it since.
11-16-2016, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I always had a couple of fishing vests hung up somewhere

they were practical for all the stuff I used on stream
they were practical for all the stuff I used taking pictures

a few years ago I started carrying a fly box, etc in my shirt pockets and a rod in my hand
a few years ago I started carrying a battery and a small lens in my shirt pockets and a camera on a strap

I still have a couple of fishing vests hung up somewhere
11-17-2016, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider rob Quote
Okay Alex645, let me know when they're on the market. I'll be first in line, no matter what my wife says. 😉
Ill fight you for that #1 place in the queue.
11-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #27
Pentaxian

when i was shooting K-mount, I could carry 9 lenses in my vest pockets.

Now, I mainly use it to hold caps, filters, intervalometer, phone, carkeys, safety whistle, hand warmers, headlamp, ski mask, gloves, batteries, micro fiber cloth, etc
11-18-2016, 01:15 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget a pocket protector for each and every pocket.

Chris
11-18-2016, 07:01 AM - 3 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Don't forget a pocket protector for each and every pocket.

Chris
If you're afraid of seeming too nerdy, Chris, I have bad news.

You're on a photography forum on the internet. It's too late!
11-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I Just can't wear vests, my core heats up before my extremities, even in 20 below, my coats and layers are open and a single layer of T-shirt is exposed to the elements. Tess gave me one, I don't even know where it is.