Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anybody use a photovest anymore?

I was going through my closet a few weeks ago and way at the end were two photovests that I got some 25 or so years ago. There were being sold at the Kodak Photo store within Kodak where I worked at the time. One long sleeve and one short sleeve. Got me wondering if anyone here still uses them. I did grab one and went to a Halloween party as a paparazzi. Took my K3 as it had a built in flash. I rediscovered two things. They still fit and they are pretty handy accessories. I just may start wearing them again.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Anybody use a photovest anymore?
Occasionally and sometimes at certain events you get issued with one, big letters or numbers on the back, but not with all the useful pockets in.
11-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had one many years ago but I don't know what happened to it. Back in those days, I carried mostly extra film, batteries, and my flash and a filter of two. Since I couldn't afford much gear, I used it a lot more hiking and fishing and of course, my camera was usually along. I had film holders and battery holders attached to my camera strap which were more practical.

I do currently use a Cotton Carrier "vest" which is a camera carrying system, not a traditional photographers vest. I do have a preference for shirts with two pockets (with flaps preferably) and cargo pants. While handy, I do find a lot of pockets less practical these days because I tend to forget what pocket I put stuff in. Maybe it's just senior moments. My friends joke that I have more pockets than brain cells.
11-15-2016, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I use mine occasionally on shoots.

11-15-2016, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, same here: 55-300 in one pocket, AF201FG flash in another, spare batteries in another!
11-15-2016, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bought my first one back in the late 70's when Banana Republic actually had cheap hard to find items from 3rd world countries. They totally changed when they were acquired by The Gap in the early 80's. I wore it religiously as a working Unit Stills Photographer on film sets. It was a functional uniform that quickly identified to the cast and crew that "I'm the photographer".

After a thousand washes, those pockets, zippers, buttons, and clips eventually doubled its ventilation power and I retired it for a new Domke vest. Now, I only wear my photographer's vest when hiking or leading a pack of student photographers on a field trip. To me it sends the message to my students that it's okay to look like a photo dork if it helps you to capture special images.

I will intentionally not wear my vest if I believe I can get the better shot looking like a tourist and not like some sort of photog commando. Hey, free idea: Someone should design a functional jacket/vest in the style of an Aloha Shirt!
11-15-2016, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay Alex645, let me know when they're on the market. I'll be first in line, no matter what my wife says. 😉

11-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too funny.
When I did a few "art shows" a few years back, I had my husband wear one, as he sat and watched our booth/stand.
It was great, because people thought *he* was the photographer, and they would go on and on about how brilliant he was, and how his aesthetic was awesome...etc. etc.

He'd let them go on a bit - not exactly leading them on - and then tell them that I was the photographer.

Kinda funny to see people's faces.

Sold a few doing that, and I learned some valuable lessons about what people want to *see* when buying art.
I gave up doing that sort of selling of my work, when I realized that if I was to make money that way, I would have to play into what people wanted me to look like.

And to be the gender they approved of, as a professional photographer.

So yes, I have a photography vest...laying in the closet...we take out every now and then.

11-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I use mine all the time. Great for distributing lenses. Way more pockets than I actually use though.
11-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm 31 years old and have been shooting for ten years. I'd never thought of using one probably because they were passe when I started photography. I usually carry a bag and wear cargo shorts when I shoot.
11-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

every time i go out, yes.
I know where everything is and can reach in a pocket quickly in the dark without looking away from my scene.
I have a couple of different colors and do not care how silly i may look wearing it - i have seen people laughing at me.
11-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Instead of a photo vest, I bought a less expensive vest for anglers (aka fishers, fishermen, etc). I wear it outdoors when I don't want to carry a bag or wear a backpack.
11-15-2016, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Someone should design a functional jacket/vest in the style of an Aloha Shirt!
Did anyone other than "HawkEye" Pierce ever wear an Hawaiian shirt?

In winter, I wear a vest (I hate long sleeves) that can double as a photovest.

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I usually carry a bag and wear cargo shorts when I shoot.
I like shorts but not cargo shorts, they are far too long in the leg. I wear shorts year 'round, I've been wearing Stubbies for over 40 years.

Last edited by p38arover; 11-15-2016 at 04:10 PM.
11-15-2016, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Did anyone other than "HawkEye" Pierce ever wear an Hawaiian shirt?
Ellery Chun, an alum of the school where I teach (and Obama's alma mater), "invented" the Aloha Shirt back in the 30's. It became a hit in hot, pre-air conditioned Hawaii for businessmen to wear on Fridays (and women muumuus) and to this day, most of us locals in Hawaii wear Aloha Shirts (aka Hawaiian shirts) on Fridays. Muumuu dresses are less common on Oahu, but I still see them a lot on the neighbor islands. Tourists wear them any day and honeymooners can still be seen with matching outfits.
11-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Airlines are pretty limiting with what you can carry in your bags due to ever decreasing size restrictions.
But they currently do not limit what you "wear". I'll go with pockets stuffed with lenses and other gear.
A photo vest is great for stuffing loads of things for your flight.
It does not make for a terribly comfortable ride, but it is better than finding that you need to have your bag of gear checked because the plane was swapped out for a smaller one with no overhead bins.