Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #1

Camera-slider anybody?

Hi all,

I'm trying to get out of the slider for time-lapse trip I've recently fallen into.

All of these Black Friday/Cyber Monday offers are making this thing even more difficult...

First thing is deciding which system to buy into, as I'd gradually would like to expand to more than on e axis movement so I'd eventually stick to one as components will be compatible.

So far the brands I like the most so far are Syrp and Rhino whose models look easy to assemble, carry, program and use, and also offer a great degree of expandability.

The starter kit for these two brands hovers around 1K. I'd like to go for a carbon fiber one.

So, any experiences on these? Any other brands or products worth checking out?

Thanx

11-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This thing looks pretty freaking awesome. One of the B&H reviews linked to a
11-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't own a slider but you should check out Edelkrone. They have a very clever slider system.

www.edelkrone.com

Last edited by alpheios; 11-28-2016 at 09:23 AM.
11-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own a small Rat Rig slider and like it pretty well, especially for the price. Rat Rig Online Store

11-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Those Rat Rig kits look interesting. As much as I'd like to get one of the "pro" systems (and since I'm upgrading t the K1 in a month...) but before shelling out bug bucks for what is an experiment for me I may as well try one of those and see how the thing works for me.

The thing with those kits, even the fully motorized ones, is how can you do a timelapse, where you need "shoot-move-shoot" capability, and shutter release cable to camera? Am I missing something?

If the kit is supposed to work in very slow speed only it forces you to take shots wit very fast shutter speeds in order to avoid camera movement...no long exposures for night shots or the likes.
11-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Camera Sliders

Have a Look at Cinevate
Cinevate Tools for Filmmakers and Photographers
or if your need is not too great build your own from cheap rails from the Orient. That's what I did with 1' rails and a quick release onto a Monfroto or any other tripod for that matter. Under $100! I actually made 2 . The other is about 6" and fits in the Velbon Bag with the tripod great for Macro, Time lapse ,etc.
11-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Home made Mini Slider

This is the Foot long N>S E>W I Made from Parts from the Orient. The stuff attached to the ends Flash triggers Etc is just storage on hot shoes they put on rails. The hot shoes are great for my wireless remote to put on.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 10-08-2017 at 08:09 PM.