Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm not sure it has a water bladder pouch, that's the one thing that prevented me from buying it when I saw it recently.

Nope. But for multi days hike, I would DEFINITELY select a bag based on comfort before anything else. Then I'd fit an insert, or many inserts, in it.

By the way, for comfort and convenience during hikes, the Op-Tech system is just marvelous. Normally I use their pro sling, which can be converted to a neck strap (fairly regular) when needed. With a light lens, only one clip is needed to connect the camera to the strap. With heavier lenses, such as the 60-250, I have a clip attached to a base on the lens's foot.

BUT... I also have, on my back, the Op-Tech clips that attach directly to the bag's shoulder straps (I think they call them the journalist something). That way I can fix the camera to my shoulder straps, and just pick it up and move it to my face for shooting. Usually one clip is enough, I use two to limit movement.

I'll be testing the Peak Design Capture Pro soon, maybe that will become my go-to system for hiking.
Hmm. I do have a comfortable multi-day hike bag, but then I don't care for any of the inserts I've seen. Maybe I'll try and muddle something together out of those Peak Design field pouches. I'm still skeptical about them, though.

11-29-2016, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Wow, thanks for that reply! That Manfrotto looks almost perfect for a hiking backpack. Do you know of any bags that are like that except with a higher storage (~50L?) size? I already have a sling, 20L and 30L bags covered, but something like could be great for a multi-day hike.

well you could try on of these:

http://naneubags.com/backpacks/
11-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
well you could try on of these:

http://naneubags.com/backpacks/
Sweet! Thanks. I'll pick up one of these the next time I have the cash.
11-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Funny. I was just about to post the exact question.
My current bag (Tenba Shootout Ultralight) holds two crop bodies, my basic three lenses and a flash.
I think I will need a bag with a hernia belt if I'm going to do the same with my K1 kit.

I love my Click Elite full sized hiking backpack. A bit overkill but it will fit my stuff.
Nice to see other options.

11-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

but then I don't care for any of the inserts I've seen
I love the Cubeze, I think it's very well made. There are many sizes, so it's likely you could find one which fits your bag.You can also purchase the snoop messenger inserts from Timbuk2 without the bag itself.

Maybe I'll try and muddle something together out of those Peak Design field pouches
Those look very good. You could design an array of holes for your lenses out of those, but the price is likely to climb fast. You could also look at Op-tech pouches, or even cheap neoprene pouches off eBay.
11-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I love the Cubeze, I think it's very well made. There are many sizes, so it's likely you could find one which fits your bag.You can also purchase the snoop messenger inserts from Timbuk2 without the bag itself.

Those look very good. You could design an array of holes for your lenses out of those, but the price is likely to climb fast. You could also look at Op-tech pouches, or even cheap neoprene pouches off eBay.
The Cubeze looks like a very nice, cheaper alternative. I'll definitely look into those. Are there reviews of them anywhere? The official store page looks a bit bare. I actually bought the Snoop insert from Timbuk2, and...I hate it.
11-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Funny. I was just about to post the exact question.
My current bag (Tenba Shootout Ultralight) holds two crop bodies, my basic three lenses and a flash.
I think I will need a bag with a hernia belt if I'm going to do the same with my K1 kit.
Well, I am a bit surprised. The Tenba fits the 70-200 and 15-30 lenses. I still have room for one or two other small lenses and a flash. All in the main section.
I could fit a second (crop) body and a lens in the top. I don't think the K1 will fit up there with the lens on it.
So it might still work out for me as a general walk-around bag.
Luckily it does have the waist belt to help reduce back strain.

11-30-2016, 04:10 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a bloody tight fit

Well, the D FA 15-30 arrived today. So I tried fitting it in my current sling bag (Lowepro Slingshot 202AW) with the K-1 body, D FA* 70-200, and D FA 28-105. It CAN be done ... just. Not very convenient, as I have to store the body with lens removed.

11-30-2016, 06:08 AM   #24
Pentaxian

The Cubeze looks like a very nice, cheaper alternative. I'll definitely look into those. Are there reviews of them anywhere?
Well, I can review them for you...

Texture of the cloth is more like nylon than felt, there are two velcro strips on the sides to attach the dividers. I prefer felt since it gives more flexibility for the dividers positioning, but the nylon makes cleaning and maintenance easy. The padding is good, but there is no cover so the top (or front, if you insert it on the side like I do) is not padded. The insert closes via a drawstring and flexible, non-padded but extensible "cover". That cover folds properly around the padded cube and all but disappears when not needed, adding a little bit of protection to the sides. When I insert the cube in my bag, I make sure the camera strap is above everything (to the front, in fact, since the cube is on its side) so that there is added protection there. The cube that I use can hold the K-1 with 16-85 mounted, plus a flash, 2 pancake lenses or one larger lens (such as a 100 macro), and I have one other compartment left which can hold pancake lenses or accessories such as batteries. Sizes vary of course.

It's very well made, and after more than 4 years, it looks new even though it was used a lot. I'd buy it again.

I actually bought the Snoop insert from Timbuk2, and...I hate it.
Why? Because of the shape? Because frankly, apart from the curved width I don't see anything wrong at all with that insert. Mine stays inside the bag 100% of the time, but it seems extremely well made. It's sturdy, solid, well sewn (I gambled with eBay niserts that sell for a song, and they are worthless. This is different).
12-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My big Domke messenger bag comfortably accommodates my K-1 and DFA70-200, DFA24-70, DFA15-30 and DA*300, with room for my AF540FGZ II and other peripherals. Its big strap and shallow profile make it a remarkably comfortable carry, even fully laden.
Which Domke bag do you have Sandy? There are so many of them! Even the F-833 doesn't look big enough in the on-line pics.
12-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Which Domke bag do you have Sandy? There are so many of them! Even the F-833 doesn't look big enough in the on-line pics.
the Metro Messenger – Military Green/Black Trim | Domke Next Generation

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 12-07-2016 at 06:35 PM.