Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Camera bags in the new era of Monster Pentax Lenses

I have been very content with my Lowepro sling bag for use with my K5/K3, Limited primes, and compact zooms. No trouble carrying a body with lens attached, four other lenses, and a flash. But since investing in the K-1 and DFA* 70-200, with the DFA 15-30 about to arrive, I have to reset my sights.

So, which bags are worth looking at that could hold, say, K-1+28-105 attached, DFA* 70-200, DFA 15-30, Sigma 35mm Art or Tamron 90mm macro, and at least one flash?

I am quite big and strong, so the weight per se is not that crucial. It's more finding a bag that can accommodate the size of the new Pentax lenses and still provide accessibility in the field that concerns me.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 11-28-2016 at 03:01 PM.
11-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have been very content with my Lowepro sling bag for use with my K5/K3, Limited primes, and compact zooms. No trouble carrying a body with lens attached, four other lenses, and a flash. But since investing in the K-1 and DFA* 70-200, with the DFA 15-30 about to arrive, I have to reset my sights.

So, which bags are worth looking at that could hold, say, K-1+28-105 attached, DFA* 70-200, DFA 15-30, Sigma 35mm Art or Tamron 90mm macro, and at least one flash?

I am quite big and strong, so the weight per se is not that crucial. It's more finding a bag that can accommodate the size of the new Pentax lenses and still provide accessibility in the field that concerns me.
That kit would fit in my current bag, if you can find it, it's excellent. The ClikElite Probody Sport (I have the version with CS or Computer Sleeve). Alternately, I've kickstarted the 30L Peak Design Backpack, because I also want room for a tripod and a lightstand.
11-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You didn't say which lowepro bag you have but simply increase the first digit to go to a larger product.

I have slingshot 300 and 302AW which both will hold what you listed.
11-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Think Tank's Retrospective 20 should do:

Retrospective 20 - Best Photography Camera Shoulder Bag ? Think Tank Photo

11-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There are many, many bags to choose from. You did not specify the type of bag you wish for. Sling, messenger, backpack?

If you're looking for a backpack, I recommend getting a good non-photography backpack, and finding the right insert or inserts to go in it, then go out and start shooting.

If you' in for a sling, you'll have trouble getting a 70-200 into any of that.

If you want a messenger, Temba makes good ones but I haven't tested them. So do Lowepro, Vanguard and Manfrotto, but I'm not a big fan. Kata was purchased my Manfrotto so they're gone (the Manfrotto bags are getting better as a result, however). The Peak Design messenger 15 looks like an expensive bag made in heaven and would fit your requirements. Last, the Timbuk2 snoop messenger (small or more likely medium given your requirements) are excellent, I use the small and it fits all of the K-1 with 16-85, 60-250, DA40, DA21, FA77, flash, spare batteries and accessories, plus a tablet and filters.
11-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I quite like the look of the Manfrotto Professional backpack-50 as far as backpacks go - but I have no idea whether when it claims to accommodate a DSLR with 70-200 attached they mean a Pentax 70-200

Tamrac (used to?) make some pretty massive shoulder bags - when I was younger I used to heft around a shoulder bag with two 67 bodies and four of five lenses

But my Billingham Hadley certainly struggles with the 70-200

Last edited by ffking; 11-29-2016 at 06:40 AM.
11-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't mind Olive, check out the Tenba messenger bags at Amazon - the Olive colors seem to be significantly less. Be careful on the sizing as you change options. I've actually got two Tenba bags, and I think they were both sold as "large, but the dimensions are quite different. This is the bigger of the two, and I picked up this one to fit my D FA150-450 in with my other lenses, body etc.:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00110L7G4/

-David

Last edited by clickclick; 11-29-2016 at 12:36 PM.
11-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My big Domke messenger bag comfortably accommodates my K-1 and DFA70-200, DFA24-70, DFA15-30 and DA*300, with room for my AF540FGZ II and other peripherals. Its big strap and shallow profile make it a remarkably comfortable carry, even fully laden.
11-29-2016, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I think it was Thoreau who said "Never go on an undertaking that requires new clothes." I wonder if that counts for camera bags as well. MY previous experience is, if I bring a bigger bag, it gets to be really heavy after a while. I'm more of a reduce what I bring to fit the bags I have type. And I can't carry my biggest bag with everything I'd ever want in it, for more than a half K without getting winded.

Last edited by normhead; 11-29-2016 at 10:31 AM.
11-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It all depends on your budget also. But The Clik Elite bags are excellent.
I have the Escape en Pro express (the old versions). and both will accommodate your gear (and more). They both have their pro's and cons.
You said that you would have the 28-105 mounted. Then I think I would lean more toward the Pro express. Even though the Escape will be quicker access to grab your camera.
Personally I use the Express when photographing events and sports (with longest lens being a 70-200), and the Escape on holidays and surf photography (where I will have longer lenses than the 70-200).

www.clikelite.com
11-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

one of the reasons I bought into the Pentax K-3ii system was how small and light it was. My Nikon D800 system is big and heavy (and I still prefer it for particular shoots). I have no desire whatsoever of adding any lens to my Pentax that is larger than 67mm. Given this, I now have a sweet little lightweight Pentax system that is easy to travel with. While I am not at all opposed to larger lenses (in fact I own a few for my Nikon and would do the same for a K-1), I would be forced to leave Pentax if they turned their backs on their wonderful legacy of small + lightweight.

Michael
11-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
There are many, many bags to choose from. You did not specify the type of bag you wish for. Sling, messenger, backpack?

If you're looking for a backpack, I recommend getting a good non-photography backpack, and finding the right insert or inserts to go in it, then go out and start shooting.

If you' in for a sling, you'll have trouble getting a 70-200 into any of that.

If you want a messenger, Temba makes good ones but I haven't tested them. So do Lowepro, Vanguard and Manfrotto, but I'm not a big fan. Kata was purchased my Manfrotto so they're gone (the Manfrotto bags are getting better as a result, however). The Peak Design messenger 15 looks like an expensive bag made in heaven and would fit your requirements. Last, the Timbuk2 snoop messenger (small or more likely medium given your requirements) are excellent, I use the small and it fits all of the K-1 with 16-85, 60-250, DA40, DA21, FA77, flash, spare batteries and accessories, plus a tablet and filters.
The Peak Design Sling is advertised as being able to fit a 70-200 + camera + tablet. I'm not sure if it'll fit the Pentax one, but I'll let you guys know when I find out.

I know inserts work for some people, but I hate them. I insist on bags with side access most of the time, and besides that, the ones I've tried just seem to kill me ergonomically (let's put all of the heaviest things you're carrying in one part of your bag).
11-29-2016, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
The Peak Design Sling is advertised as being able to fit a 70-200 + camera + tablet. I'm not sure if it'll fit the Pentax one, but I'll let you guys know when I find out.
It should fit, indeed, but not much more. That is a LARGE lens.

I know inserts work for some people, but I hate them. I insist on bags with side access most of the time, and besides that, the ones I've tried just seem to kill me ergonomically (let's put all of the heaviest things you're carrying in one part of your bag).
That's why you should look at bags with more than one pocket. For instance (not pushing that particular model), the bag that I use is this one:

It has a bottom compartment which fits perfectly an Ape Case Cubeze insert. Heavy stuff is at the bottom, where the waist support takes the load of your shoulders. The mesh back makes it breathable (I'll never go without that ever again), it has room for a water pouch, side pockets carry the tripod, front hook the monopod, top compartment takes the odds and ends (it's large, in fact). A Ap-Tech lens pouch attaches to the waist band if needed, for quick swapping between two lenses.

This particular configuration won't let me put the 60-250 at the bottom, so it goes in the top compartment, in its own pouch. That's not "perfect", and doesn't give you side access like you request, but it works, is more comfortable than any camera backpack I've tested, and cost me less than 100$ CAD for the total (including insert and Op-tech pouch).

If you want side access, the Manfrotto Off Roads Hiker backpack (30 liters) would be a good choice.
11-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It should fit, indeed, but not much more. That is a LARGE lens.

That's why you should look at bags with more than one pocket. For instance (not pushing that particular model), the bag that I use is this one:

It has a bottom compartment which fits perfectly an Ape Case Cubeze insert. Heavy stuff is at the bottom, where the waist support takes the load of your shoulders. The mesh back makes it breathable (I'll never go without that ever again), it has room for a water pouch, side pockets carry the tripod, front hook the monopod, top compartment takes the odds and ends (it's large, in fact). A Ap-Tech lens pouch attaches to the waist band if needed, for quick swapping between two lenses.

This particular configuration won't let me put the 60-250 at the bottom, so it goes in the top compartment, in its own pouch. That's not "perfect", and doesn't give you side access like you request, but it works, is more comfortable than any camera backpack I've tested, and cost me less than 100$ CAD for the total (including insert and Op-tech pouch).

If you want side access, the Manfrotto Off Roads Hiker backpack (30 liters) would be a good choice.
Wow, thanks for that reply! That Manfrotto looks almost perfect for a hiking backpack. Do you know of any bags that are like that except with a higher storage (~50L?) size? I already have a sling, 20L and 30L bags covered, but something like could be great for a multi-day hike.
11-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

That Manfrotto looks almost perfect for a hiking backpack.
I'm not sure it has a water bladder pouch, that's the one thing that prevented me from buying it when I saw it recently.

Do you know of any bags that are like that except with a higher storage (~50L?) size?
Nope. But for multi days hike, I would DEFINITELY select a bag based on comfort before anything else. Then I'd fit an insert, or many inserts, in it.

By the way, for comfort and convenience during hikes, the Op-Tech system is just marvelous. Normally I use their pro sling, which can be converted to a neck strap (fairly regular) when needed. With a light lens, only one clip is needed to connect the camera to the strap. With heavier lenses, such as the 60-250, I have a clip attached to a base on the lens's foot.

BUT... I also have, on my back, the Op-Tech clips that attach directly to the bag's shoulder straps (I think they call them the journalist something). That way I can fix the camera to my shoulder straps, and just pick it up and move it to my face for shooting. Usually one clip is enough, I use two to limit movement.

I'll be testing the Peak Design Capture Pro soon, maybe that will become my go-to system for hiking.