Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Cap suggestions to go over step-up threads...?

I recently bought a 21mm landscape lens that needs a 49-52mm thread step up in order to use my rather pricey Promaster variable ND filter. I'll likely use this filter a lot on this lens so I'm not sure how often I will bother to remove the step-up off the lens. I could keep the step-up ring on the filter, but then I do have a 50mm lens with the right thread size to take the filter, so I think the stepup ring left on the lens is best.
But now I'm wondering what kind of lens cap can fit on a 21mm lens with a step up ring attached?

Also, while we're at it, I'm still housing my ND filter in the plastic container it came with... it's not that great. Is there a nice container available for something like an ND filter?

Cheers,

Bruce

11-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A cap designed to fit a 52 mm diameter lens?
11-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
A cap designed to fit a 52 mm diameter lens?
lol... ok I feel dumb now.

okok, what about nice filter cases, do they exist?

EDIT: A quick look on B&H shows quite a few, I can't see any single hardcase ones tho, just soft pouches that are designed to take a few...
11-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
lol... ok I feel dumb now.

okok, what about nice filter cases, do they exist?

EDIT: A quick look on B&H shows quite a few, I can't see any single hardcase ones tho, just soft pouches that are designed to take a few...
They're a little expensive, but I really like Mind Shift's Filter Nests. The Mini Filter Pouch is good if you only have a total of four or fewer step-up rings and filters. I like the Filter Nest Storage Case more, but it's overkill unless you have more filters and rings.

12-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I haven't found any either, despite scouring the 'net.
12-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
They're a little expensive, but I really like Mind Shift's Filter Nests. The Mini Filter Pouch is good if you only have a total of four or fewer step-up rings and filters. I like the Filter Nest Storage Case more, but it's overkill unless you have more filters and rings.
Yeh this looks alright Filter Nest Mini - camera lens filter pouch wallet case | MindShift Gear
12-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What's wrong with the box it came in? Perhaps you can find a cheap 52mm UV/skylight that comes in a better plastic box or holder.

Solution 2: Get two used skylight filters from where ever (they usually come free on the used lenses I buy) and use them as end caps. Sure it's a minor hassle to do two unscrewings to get to a specific filter, but the stack is really compact in my bag (I have 5 filters plus the 2 junk skylight filters) and the screw-on filters won't pop-off like a regular lens cap can.

Personally, I would avoid any soft wallet or bag-like filter holder. Grease, dust, & grit will get on the material and will transfer and drag across the surface of the filter.

12-02-2016, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Personally, I would avoid any soft wallet or bag-like filter holder. Grease, dust, & grit will get on the material and will transfer and drag across the surface of the filter.
With modern filters and filter wallets, I've never found this to be an issue.
12-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
What's wrong with the box it came in? Perhaps you can find a cheap 52mm UV/skylight that comes in a better plastic box or holder.

Solution 2: Get two used skylight filters from where ever (they usually come free on the used lenses I buy) and use them as end caps. Sure it's a minor hassle to do two unscrewings to get to a specific filter, but the stack is really compact in my bag (I have 5 filters plus the 2 junk skylight filters) and the screw-on filters won't pop-off like a regular lens cap can.

Some good ideas there! Yeh, I think I will just stick with the plastic box it came in, I think it just needs some TLC inside with some more padding etc.

This is the case it came in; ProMaster 55mm Variable ND - Digital HGX Filter 9315 | eBay

I don't know, my case might just be a bit naff, there isn't a satisfying 'click' when you close it etc, really I would be happy for something like this, just better (but no zips! I'm scared of zips lol).