Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who likes their Flu cards?

I was thinking of picking up a Pentax Flu card for my K3, not so much to remotely trigger the camera, although that may change once I get it, but, more for when I feel like editing an image on the fly. In that case, I'd convert to a jpeg in camera and then wirelessly send it to my iPad.

For those who are Flu card users, are you generally satisfied with its ability to send jpegs wirelessly? (I know that it's not for sending large RAW files)

Thanks

12-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think the Flu card does anything but let you SEE your files on the phone. It cannot SEND the files to the phone. That was my experience. If I want something out of the K-3 immediately, I use an EYE-FI card that I pull out of my Q7, where it normally resides. I stick it in slot 2, copy the file I want from card 1 to card 2, then transfer through the menu to my phone, which still has the old Eye-Fi app.
12-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not me. I thought I would, and bought one but then switched back to using my EyeFi in slot 2 with the low resolution jpg written to that card and the raw written to card slot 1.
12-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I don't think the Flu card does anything but let you SEE your files on the phone. It cannot SEND the files to the phone. That was my experience. If I want something out of the K-3 immediately, I use an EYE-FI card that I pull out of my Q7, where it normally resides. I stick it in slot 2, copy the file I want from card 1 to card 2, then transfer through the menu to my phone, which still has the old Eye-Fi app.
Oh, but you CAN transfer jpeg files from camera to iPad. Once you have you image opened in the view menu you can save it to your control device just as you would save any image opened in you browser.

In fact, you can even transfer raw files with a little bit of extra manipulation, but that is more cumbersome and transfer will take some twenty seconds.

12-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What's your experience with EyeFi?

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Not me. I thought I would, and bought one but then switched back to using my EyeFi in slot 2 with the low resolution jpg written to that card and the raw written to card slot 1.
12-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It has very little actual usage. I tied t ue it so I could set the camera up pointed at the feeders and take a photo from close race when a idd turned up. For the distance it works from, i may as well just reach out and touch the shutter release.

I'm seriously thinking of taking mine out and putting in a 32 B card.
12-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I use Transcend's wifisd with ftp server turned on.
I save my images as RAW+lowest size JPG for quick browsing/zoom with ES File Explorer (on android) and download the picked DNG image directly to snapseed, edit, send.
Works well for me, it's not good for a full card download.
12-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #8
Forum Member

I bought a mofo card and lost it before I tried it so it never worked

but then they dropped support for it so I never bothered looking for it

12-01-2016, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I hated FluCard since you cannot transfer files to the computer (other than saving from the Browser).
Sadly, EyeFi is no longer supporting their EyeFi cards. And the Mobi cards constantly give my cameras errors.

So I wrote a quick little Python program to transfer files form the FluCard to a folder on my Desktop/Laptop so they can be auto-imported into Lightroom,
Now I am happy with Flu Card.
Also mildly happy with K1, as I wrote a program to do that as well... only issue is the K1 WiFi is so SLOW!

I posted these in another thread, but if you have Python and want to use FluCard or K1 with Lightroom (or just transfer files to your Desktop/Laptop), you can try these.
https://github.com/amoringello/FluCardPro-AutoImport/blob/master/fluImport.py
https://github.com/amoringello/FluCardPro-AutoImport/blob/master/k1Import.py

Last edited by amoringello; 12-01-2016 at 07:31 PM.
12-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mobi EyeFi is still supported and works fine. But I use them as follows:

I either enable autodownload or go pick a few shots depending on my mood. I shoot in RAW+JPG (lower res) and transfer only the jpg to my phone.

Most of the time I don't use any of this and simply use a laptop and edit the pics I need. But occasionally having the preview pic is useful.
12-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm happy with my FluCard, very useful to shoot family photo (and you want to be in the photo ), for portraiture it's even more important as you can come close to the model, make small changes in the pose, hair, lighting... and see if the changes are ok from the camera's view and shoot without going back to your camera (usually far away with a long lens). So far, sooooooooooo gooooood
12-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #12

My FluCard works as it is supposed to. I can take photos from my tablet, laptop, smartphone, etc. I transfer photos from FluCard to my smartphone and so I can send them via Whatsapp or some other app.
12-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
My FluCard works as it is supposed to. I can take photos from my tablet, laptop, smartphone, etc. I transfer photos from FluCard to my smartphone and so I can send them via Whatsapp or some other app.
Mine never failed to work. It is just so primitive compared to other more integrated wifi solutions like Samsung NX 300, or Panasonic GX-7. Also in the end I found I preferred the simple Mobi Eyefi over the Flucard because I didn't find the extra features to be worth the clunkiness.
12-02-2016, 06:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, it's really hard to tell from this whether or not a Flu card is a decent solution for downloading from the camera to a tablet when on the road.
12-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Wow, it's really hard to tell from this whether or not a Flu card is a decent solution for downloading from the camera to a tablet when on the road.
I never made it work for that. That's kind of what I wanted i for. Maybe there's a solution and I just didn't find it, but, for that saving images n the second card in jpg and loading them with a card reader is probably a better idea.