Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D-BG5 Shutter Problem

I just purchased a used D-BG5 grip from B&H and it is in great physical condition. No physical damage to pins and barely any signs of normal wear on the grip itself.

This problem with the shutter occurred on the first time out.

I had the camera and battery grip turned on, fully charged batteries in both K-3ii and D-BG5.

I was firing from the camera shutter at first and everything was fine, then decided to shoot a few frames in portrait mode using the D-BG5 shutter.
First few shots fired as expected then I pressed the shutter and nothing happened. I pressed it again, nothing happened.
I checked my camera settings - I was shooting single frame, no delay.
I pulled the viewfinder back up to my eye and the camera rapidly fired two shots without me pressing the shutter. It's like the camera froze up for a second.
Granted, it was below freezing conditions and I had been outside for a few hours already.

I didn't think much of it and just carried on shooting without any issues.

A few days went by and I was out shooting again, this time I was shooting in continuous drive - H (8.3fps)
Again, shooting normally using the K-3ii shutter. Switched the grip on and took a few shots with the D-BG5 shutter. Everything was fine, then all of a sudden it froze again. I depressed the shutter a few more times, frustrated that I missed the shot.
15-20 seconds later then shutter went off rapid fire and shot about 8 frames.

I got home and removed the grip, changed the batteries and checked the firmware on my K-3ii. Everything was fully charged, and up to date..

It's a very sporadic occurrence. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all, sometimes it happens every few shots when using the grip shutter.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I just got back from vacation and doubt I can still return the grip.
I don't think I would anyways, I still like it and the portrait mode is really just a niche feature to me... I really bought it for ergonomics as I have large hands and the camera felt off balanced with a DA*300. Not to mention if I ever get a TC.

Anyways, figured I'd post this thread to see if anyone else is having similar issues or maybe my grip is faulty?

12-02-2016, 07:34 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If it only happens sporadically, the most likely cause is that one of the pins on the grip interface isn't making contact with the camera. It happens with me from time to time. Cleaning both the contacts on the grip and the little round terminals in the body's grip socket should solve the problem. Best to use wipes, but in the field I've even licked the grip contacts (sorry, gross I know!) and wiped them with my sleeve

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-02-2016 at 08:21 AM.
12-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If it only happens sporadically, the most likely cause is that one of the necessary pins on the grip interface isn't making contact with the camera. It happens with me from time to time. Cleaning both the contacts on the grip and the little round terminals in the bodie's grip socket should solve the problem. Best to use wipes, but in the field I've even licked the grip contacts (sorry, gross I know!) and wiped them with my sleeve
How about 91% isopropyl on a Q-tip?

I would remove the batteries and make sure all power is off first...
12-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would ask b&h anyway and explain the situation.

12-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yeah I might just send them an email.
Wouldn't hurt I suppose...
12-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
How about 91% isopropyl on a Q-tip?

I would remove the batteries and make sure all power is off first...
Absolutely, that'd work fine. And then use a bulb blower afterwards to get rid of any possible fibres.
12-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Quick online chat and they sent me a return label and said don't worry about the 30-day return window, they'll cover it...

Great customer service!
But, I really don't want to return the grip... I was hoping to resolve the problem and keep the thing.
One, I just hate waiting for returns. Two, it was a used item so they'll refund my money and I'm out a grip!
I got a good deal on it, especially how they are priced new now!

I'll try cleaning the contacts and maybe factory reset my K-3ii.
If I shoot this weekend and it happens again I guess I'll have to get a refund and keep shopping for a used one under $100.

12-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I personally think you need to return it. The springs under a contact may be weak, there could be an internal short, etc. The fact is you may be penny wise and pound foolish by keeping that grip.
12-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Quick online chat and they sent me a return label and said don't worry about the 30-day return window, they'll cover it...

Great customer service!
But, I really don't want to return the grip... I was hoping to resolve the problem and keep the thing.
One, I just hate waiting for returns. Two, it was a used item so they'll refund my money and I'm out a grip!
I got a good deal on it, especially how they are priced new now!

I'll try cleaning the contacts and maybe factory reset my K-3ii.
If I shoot this weekend and it happens again I guess I'll have to get a refund and keep shopping for a used one under $100.

Yep, that's the sort of customer service you want.

Brad's right, the springs on the contacts could be weak... but... I dunno, I've had one of my grips for years now on my K-3, taking it on and off, using it regularly, and the only problem I've had - very occasionally - is exactly what you've described. Without fail, a quick wipe and/or blowing out any tiny dust from the socket has resolved the problem. I think it should be fine once you clean it. See how you get on at the weekend.

Just something to note - when you look at the grip interface, not all of the pins stick out the same distance, so don't worry; it's supposed to be this way You can gently press down on the pins a few times and make sure they all return back up to their same positions consistently. That should be a quick check on whether the springs have become really weak.

Good luck
12-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I personally think you need to return it. The springs under a contact may be weak, there could be an internal short, etc. The fact is you may be penny wise and pound foolish by keeping that grip.

I think you're right...

Man! I was just starting to enjoy this thing!

Looks like I'm posting another wanted ad for a grip!