Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
I repeat, you cannot test a battery using a multimeter by itself, the battery must be under a load. A battery that is almost dead Can give you the same voltage as a battery that is fully charged. But when you apply a slight load to it the voltage will dropped considerably. You need a battery tester that is designed for the batteries you wish to test. If you rely only on the multimeter, You might find yourself out on a shoot thinking your batteries are charged only to find out that they were nearly dead. If you want to find out more about batteries how, to charge them and how to test them, see the link above. The only reason the battery indicator on your camera or other device works is because the camera/device is turned on. It is under a load. If you are using the battery indicator by itself, No other device hooked to it, the battery would be showing fully charged until the test unit pulled more current than the battery could put out. Then the voltage would drop.

Do not rely on a multimeter by itself to test batteries. It doesn't work.

Joe.
Thanks for the information Joe.

12-07-2016, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I ended up buying a battery tester at Harbor Freight today. A nice lady at the store that saw me looking at the battery tester and a multimeter gave me a coupon that was for a free multimeter with a purchase of another item. So, I bought the battery tester (digital), got the multimeter free, had another coupon that was for 20% discount on my total purchase, and ended up paying only about five dollars for both a digital battery tester and a multimeter that came with a 9 volt battery for it.

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-07-2016 at 06:56 PM.