Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I had the IIRC caveat there. I must retract that statement! The Gitzo GT3542L Mountaineer Series 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod will hold my 165 pound weight fine on a carpeted floor. Even with the column extended.
My previous experience was on a slick concrete where the legs slid and spread.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/335276...#ixzz4Sa6yRMtw
Thanks for the update!

12-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Thanks for the update!
No problem.
12-12-2016, 05:33 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For years I had a Slik U212 until one of the clamps cracked. Not the sturdiest tripod, but really versatile. I replaced it with a Vanguard Alta Pro C283CT. I like it a lot. Versatile center post options. When i got my DA 150-450 I also got a Vanguard Auctus Plus 323CT. It's a beast. It has detachable rubber pads so you can use it on smooth surfaces.

I do have two Vanguard ball heads too, The ball heads work great, but I prefer pan and tilt heads so I have been casually looking for one. Here is a shot of the Vanguard Auctus with the hard rubber pads attached.

The gimbal head on it is a Nest. I also have a Lensmaster and a Promaster gimbal head too. I had a brief period of GHBA. They all seem to work fine.

12-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
For years I had a Slik U212 until one of the clamps cracked. Not the sturdiest tripod, but really versatile. I replaced it with a Vanguard Alta Pro C283CT. I like it a lot. Versatile center post options. When i got my DA 150-450 I also got a Vanguard Auctus Plus 323CT. It's a beast. It has detachable rubber pads so you can use it on smooth surfaces.

I do have two Vanguard ball heads too, The ball heads work great, but I prefer pan and tilt heads so I have been casually looking for one. Here is a shot of the Vanguard Auctus with the hard rubber pads attached.

The gimbal head on it is a Nest. I also have a Lensmaster and a Promaster gimbal head too. I had a brief period of GHBA. They all seem to work fine.

The Vanguard tripods look very nice, but many of them don't have the load capacity I need (>20 lbs). This one looks interesting though, I like the tripod feet set up:

Vanguard Abeo Plus 324CT Carbon Fiber Tripod ABEO PLUS 324CT B&H

It's a lot cheaper than the Gitzo, but takes a pretty significant hit to the weight load, and is a bit heavier than the Gitzo, too.

12-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no Swiss Army choice for a do-all tripod. However... this does come close.
It goes high, it goes low and has the load capacity. The thing is a beast and I hardly ever use it at work.
Gitzo Series 5 Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod GT5562GTS B&H

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-12-2016 at 04:13 PM.
12-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
There is no Swiss Army choice for a do-all tripod. However... this does come close.
It goes high, it goes low and has the load capacity. The thing is a beast and I hardly ever use it at work.
Gitzo Series 5 Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod GT5562GTS B&H
A tripod that blows my budget AND my weight requirement.
12-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I was standing at the back of the line, when they handed out height.
At least you weren't holding an umbrella when it was raining intelligence

12-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #53
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

12-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Vanguard tripods look very nice, but many of them don't have the load capacity I need (>20 lbs). This one looks interesting though, I like the tripod feet set up:

Vanguard Abeo Plus 324CT Carbon Fiber Tripod ABEO PLUS 324CT B&H

It's a lot cheaper than the Gitzo, but takes a pretty significant hit to the weight load, and is a bit heavier than the Gitzo, too.
The Vanguard Auctus has a load capacity of 30.9 pounds. That is the he beast in the photo and is solid. Of course the head on the tripos needs to be up to the chore too. The Alta Pro is used for lighter loads but will support anything I have. Load capacity is something like 17 pounds.
12-12-2016, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
At least you weren't holding an umbrella when it was raining intelligence
An interesting statement on a thread like this where Want! rules
12-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Vanguard Auctus has a load capacity of 30.9 pounds. That is the he beast in the photo and is solid. Of course the head on the tripos needs to be up to the chore too. The Alta Pro is used for lighter loads but will support anything I have. Load capacity is something like 17 pounds.
Vanguard... Auctus? A quick search on B&H and Vanguard's own site doesn't seem to reveal a tripod with that name.

Last edited by lithedreamer; 12-12-2016 at 06:42 PM.
12-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Vanguard... Auctus? A quick search on B&H and Vanguard's own site don't seem to reveal a tripod with that name.
Sorry, didn't realize that it has been discontinued. I think a few are available on Amazon.
12-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, didn't realize that it has been discontinued. I think a few are available on Amazon.
Gotcha. 7lbs is a little on the heavy side when I walk most everywhere, and I don't care for the wheel-based centre columns, but I really like the feet options. I wish the Gitzo had something similar.
12-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #59
Veteran Member

it has been discontinued

Speaking of "discontinued," most years will find Benro/Induro sticks deeply discounted at the end (if I remember correctly) of January. Induro's, especially, have an "almost Gitzo/almost RRS" reputation for quality (and better customer service than Gitzo, to boot.) If you're down with the whole fill-the-gear-closet approach to tripods, you could probably check off two or three different categories for the price of one premium 'pod.
12-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Speaking of "discontinued," most years will find Benro/Induro sticks deeply discounted at the end (if I remember correctly) of January. Induro's, especially, have an "almost Gitzo/almost RRS" reputation for quality (and better customer service than Gitzo, to boot.) If you're down with the whole fill-the-gear-closet approach to tripods, you could probably check off two or three different categories for the price of one premium 'pod.
Wow, this looks really comparable to the Gitzo!

Induro GIT204 Grand Series 2 Stealth Carbon Fiber Tripod GIT204

Is there something I'm losing by saving about $170?