Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote

An interesting statement on a thread like this where Want! rules
Just something my mom used to say (not in reference to me!... I think ) I was reminded of it by Carol's comment.

Actually it was "when God was raining brains, you were holding an umbrella." I took some liberty with the wording and flipped it to (hopefully) convey a funny compliment!

You're right, every time I buy a new piece of gear I'm left questioning just how smart I really am.

12-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Gotcha. 7lbs is a little on the heavy side when I walk most everywhere, and I don't care for the wheel-based centre columns, but I really like the feet options. I wish the Gitzo had something similar.
The reason I got it was because they had an outrageous sale going on (something like 50% 0ff) and I needed something heavy duty. In retrospect, probably a clearance sale. It does work as advertised. Very solid. Good luck on your search.
12-13-2016, 06:35 AM   #63
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a used Manfrotto 3021 tripod - good price and the tripod did not look like it had ever been used - it holds my 410 Jr head and whatever lens I mount on my camera without any problems...
12-13-2016, 07:15 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Is there something I'm losing by saving about $170?

Ha, Pentaxians are notorious for being parsimonious, but I think it pays to consider how much money goes chasing after small (or notional) increases in performance. At any rate, a Web search will turn up a lot of info/testimonials for Induro--as for here on PF, one of the best classic landscape guys, Mike Oria, uses a set of (big) Induro sticks, I believe.

Otherwise, just a couple of points: 1.) be extremely skeptical of manufacturer's weight ratings; there's really no industry standard for measuring. Murphy's Law being in effect, I think the standard, prudent approach is to take the advertised number and divide by three...especially if $3K worth of glass and metal is involved. 2.) Give a bit of thought to physics when you set up--some angles are more stable than others, and if you don't have one already, an L-bracket will help maximize stability (as well as keeping your head happy.) 3.) If you do go the "Costco" route, you can also look for a used tripod--B&H usually seems to discount them pretty deeply, for instance--but be aware that a used pod that looks good may have been rode hard and put up wet...consider Ex Finn's test above.

12-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Addendum: speaking of used Induro's...(no connection with seller):

FS: Induro CT 313 8X carbon fiber tripod - FM Forums