Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Filter frustration!

In my camera bag are numerous Cokin filters in the A series (e.g. A123, A151 just to name a couple), and I have holders and adapter rings to match the filter threads of most of the lenses I would want to use them on (mostly Pentax primes, 49 or 52mm).

On Amazon, at low, low cost, are filters compatible with Cokin P. Searching Cokin A brings nothing up.

My research indicates the two are NOT interchangeable, and I should get one of the many sets that comes with the adapters and holders.

This is a bit of a downer, as I had hoped to get only the filters and not have to double up on the adapter gear (I wanted some Grad ND's cheap).

Is the Cokin A system just not a thing any more? Have lens front element sizes habitually grown to the point where it's no longer useful or advisable and been dropped?

12-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H has ten (10) pages of Cokin A series filters and accessories: Cokin A Series | B&H Photo Video
12-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

Is the Cokin A system just not a thing any more? Have lens front element sizes habitually grown to the point where it's no longer useful or advisable and been dropped?
That's likely the case. The A system maxxed out at 62mm, and it was a tight fit at that. Wide lenses would vignette.

With 58mm now being amongst the smaller common filter rings these days, the A system is of little use.
12-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #4

Cokin renamed (2013) the sizes from A, P, Z-Pro and X-Pro to S, M, L and XL. They also switched to a "SlidePack" case to replace the clunky plastic cases. As far as I know the A/S series are still in production. BH Photo and other stores still sell them. Cokin refers to the "S" size as "A series" on their website. They do make an A to P (or is it S to M) adapter so you can use "A" filters on a "P" holder - with the warning that vignetting may occur with lenses shorter than 35mm.

12-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
B&H has ten (10) pages of Cokin A series filters and accessories
And Canada Customs will no doubt do terrible things to me at the border. I have found one or two going on e-bay dirt cheap, and we will see what happens; if I find I'm using them a lot, B&H could be getting a call. Thanks for the link.
12-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

Ebay is the way to go if you get lucky. All I was really looking for was the 52mm adapter ring and I found someone selling a set of like 10 filters, 49mm and 52mm rings, 2 or 3 holders with covers. Included in the filters were a circular and linear polarizer. I got it all for less than the price of the linear polarizer (which I had already) new.
12-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
And Canada Customs will no doubt do terrible things to me at the border. I have found one or two going on e-bay dirt cheap, and we will see what happens; if I find I'm using them a lot, B&H could be getting a call. Thanks for the link.
A year or two ago B&H made deal with UPS to keep the brokerage fee down when going through Canada customs, so it's now more affordable to ship from B&H to Canada. See the B&H website.

12-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I looked. I saw extension rings in 49mm, basically filter rims without the glass. I wanted three, to stand my slide/negative copier off from the front element of my DA35/2.8 macro. Brokerage and shipping almost doubled the cost of the items. When it comes to small stuff, I think I'll pass.