Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2008, 04:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Window XP SDHC hotfix

Have anyone tried installing this XP hotfix that supposedly allowed built-in card reader on laptop & monitors to read SDHC cards?

Hotfix for Windows XP that adds support for SDHC cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB

This looks interesting... or maybe just old news. I believe the hotfix is included in Service Pack 3 which has just recently released but it has some bugs trying to fix the bugs

07-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks very much for the link, I'll try it tonight and report back.

Btw, I wonder why it's done as a XP hotfix rather than the traditional method of a "driver" that comes with the device?
07-31-2008, 07:02 PM   #3

The "hotfix" won't magically make any readers work that don't work with SDHC already.

(I found out the hard way)
07-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks Troy, I see what it means. Looks like it's for SDHC readers that already work with 4GB, hotfix to work with >4GB. It's not meant for standard-SD readers.

07-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As the original poster stated, this fix is rather old. The first step in any attempts to get SDHC cards working with Windows XP should be to install all Service Packs up to, and including 3.

If that doesn't help, this shouldn't either.

Remember as a backup option you can always plug your camera into the computer and read the card that way...
07-31-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
Have anyone tried installing this XP hotfix that supposedly allowed built-in card reader on laptop & monitors to read SDHC cards?

Hotfix for Windows XP that adds support for SDHC cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB

This looks interesting... or maybe just old news. I believe the hotfix is included in Service Pack 3 which has just recently released but it has some bugs trying to fix the bugs
I've got XP SP2+the hotfix on a thinkpad X41. Transcend 16GB SDHC cards now work with the built-in reader, but Sandisk Extreme III 4GB SDHC cards don't. I have no idea why.

Your Mileage May Vary.

(different troy)
08-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #7

Original Poster
well... apparently there is another hotfix that came BEFORE the one i posted:

The 923293 hotfix adds support for SD High Capacity memory cards in Windows XP

this one supposed to allow SDHC card functionality (for up to 4GB).. then the earlier one posted allows SDHC functionality beyond 4GB

08-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good results for me on this. My Toshiba (Satellite A105) laptop's reader did not read my 4Gb Sandisk SDHC; it now does after I installed the hotfix shown in post #1. Thanks truonganh.
10-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
well... apparently there is another hotfix that came BEFORE the one i posted:

The 923293 hotfix adds support for SD High Capacity memory cards in Windows XP

this one supposed to allow SDHC card functionality (for up to 4GB).. then the earlier one posted allows SDHC functionality beyond 4GB
I've downloaded and installed the hot fix and still no joy. Bummer as I have a new card I tried out today with images I am itching to get off of it. I ordered a el-cheapo card reader for SDHC cards on ebay. I paid a little extra to get one mailed from in the USA, but still free shipping so it still may come like a slow boat from China. Too bad the software fix didn't work out for either my built in reader and/or my portable card reader.
10-31-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others stated here, the hotfix will work if your reader is capable of reading SDHC cards. In my case, it didn't work.

Anyway, before hotfix (and after) I've been reading SDHC through my EPSON "all in one" but haven't been able to read them in pc's built in reader.

Robert B