Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Billingham F-Stop f/1.4 Users?

I'm thinking of dumping my Billingham Hadley Pro for the F-stop 1.4 and was wondering if there are any pentax users who own this bag out there?

Reason being is that the 1.4 is much wider allowing easier access to my K-3 even with a grip on. The downside is there are no pockets. So before I plunk down a few bills for this bag are there any of you out there using this?

Billingham f/Stop 1.4 Camera Bag BI 505934-54 B&H Photo Video

12-11-2016, 12:37 AM   #2
Brooke Meyer

I can't even imagine spending that much on a shoulder bag. I've got 2 ( bought used) Lowepro Nova 5's, a Nova 4 for my flash kit and a Nova 3 that worked great on the Paris metro for a body and an couple of lenses.

My working bag has a K3II, 2 K5IIs bodies, DA12-24, DA 17-70, Tamron 28-75, DA 50-135, Kenko 1.5 TC, room for a flash or two and plenty of stuff in the pockets. They don't make the Novas5.s anymore but you can find clean used ones. Here's an example https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Nova-Camera-Bag-Black/dp/B00009R86U . As far as I can tell, they're indestructible. Got a hidden all weather cover too, in a zipper pocket. Years before I found it
12-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
They don't make the Novas5.s anymore but you can find clean used ones
Yea, I saw one on eBay for $25 bucks like brand new. Problem is I have one like that. It's a Tamrac Pro 8. Big, bulky and a pain to pull gear in and out very fast. I've read reviews on the Nova 5 on youtube and most of the guys use that big bag to store gear. They don't use it to lug around town for a quick photo here and there. I wish LowePro made one the exact same size as the Billingham 1.4 then I would consider it. Thanks for looking though.

I did look at Lowpros's new bag called the Protactic SH 180 SW which most likely replaced the Nova series but I don't care for that one either. I guess I'm a bag "snob"
12-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Yea, I saw one on eBay for $25 bucks like brand new. Problem is I have one like that. It's a Tamrac Pro 8. Big, bulky and a pain to pull gear in and out very fast. I've read reviews on the Nova 5 on youtube and most of the guys use that big bag to store gear. They don't use it to lug around town for a quick photo here and there. I wish LowePro made one the exact same size as the Billingham 1.4 then I would consider it. Thanks for looking though.

I did look at Lowpros's new bag called the Protactic SH 180 SW which most likely replaced the Nova series but I don't care for that one either. I guess I'm a bag "snob"
Covering events, even out doors like the State Fair, no bag, just a camera on each shoulder, extra batteries in pocket. Travel, just a camera, so walking around Paris all day, which means crowded metro, cafes. Bag is just convenient way to move lots of parts in one package, like from office to floor board of truck to studio or event.

12-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Bought the Billingham F/stop 1.4 and sold the Hadley Pro. I am more than pleased with the switch.

12-31-2016, 02:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Bought the Billingham F/stop 1.4 and sold the Hadley Pro. I am more than pleased with the switch.
what do you find yourself putting in this bag on a daily basis?
12-31-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
what do you find yourself putting in this bag on a daily basis?
I use it as sort of my "SUV" of camera bags with the added bonus of coolness and style.Like driving a BMW X5 It changes depending on what I'm going to shoot that day. So for instance today I'm heading out into the woods so I want my FA 31 which I normally take anyway, My F*300 telephoto with Tamron teleconverter in the side pocket and maybe the FA 100 2.8 macro lens. I might also have the grip attatched depending on whether or not I feel the need for it. Sometimes it's just nice to go out a little light.

Other times I take the FA 31, DA 14, and my DA*200 lens. I also take color polarizer filters for all three lenses just mentioned since both the DA*200 and DA14 have the same size lens cap.

For two lens trips and a quick afternoon bag, I'll take my Billingham L2 or "Alice" bag. The 1.4 is really for 3 or 4 lenses and the capability to have my grip already attatched to the camera if I want it. I haven't had the bag that long yet so I'm sure I'll come up with some other variables too. Oh, and I can easily fit my IPAD 2 in the bag as well.

12-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Since a picture is worth a thousand words I thought I'd post a few showing what gear I keep in my new Billingham F/stop 1.4

Contents:
Pentax K-3 with FA 31 attached
FA 100 2.8 Macro
F*300 telephoto
(2) color polarizers
(1) cleaning fluid
(1) cleaning towel

Pentax K-3 with Grip and FA 31 attached
DA*200 with hood
DA 14
M 50 1.4
(2) color polarizers
(1) Cleaning fluid
(1) towel

Pentax K-3 with Grip and DA*200 lens attached
F*300 telephoto lens
FA 100 2.8 Macro
Tamron 1.4 Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4

And here's a picture below that shows my Billingham F/Stop 1.4 and my Lowepro Lens Exchange case 200 AW. This combo works great with my Peak Design camera strap system. So if you don't need the bag with you and want to just take your camera and lens along with another spare telephoto lens, you can easily swap them when out in the field.

---------- Post added 12-31-16 at 06:34 PM ----------

Oh, and the top flap of the Billingham closes just fine even with the K-3, Grip, and DA*200 standing upright in the bag.