Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-20-2016, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Billingham Hadley Pro or Billingham F/stop 1.4 for DSLR Review

I've put together a quick video illustrating the differences between the Billingham Hadley Pro and the Billingham F/Stop 1.4 and why I chose to keep the 1.4. Hopefully this short video will help you make the right decision for YOU as well.

Billingham Hadley Pro

Billingham F/Stop 1.4

Last edited by Driline; 12-20-2016 at 05:07 PM.
12-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feedback. You open the video with titles that imply the pro is on the right as your titles fade out over the bags. Also you touch the pro while saying you are keeping the 1.4 bag before you have indicated which one is which. I had several moments of cognitive dissonance trying to figure out which bag is which. The review itself and the video is quality is great.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-20-2016 at 12:56 PM.
12-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Feedback. You open the video with titles that imply the pro is on the right as your titles fade out over the bags. Also you touch the pro while saying you are keeping the 1.4 bag before you have indicated which one is which. I had several moments of cognitive dissonance trying to figure out which bag is which. The review itself and the video is quality is great.
I agree. I actually sold the Hadley Pro and had like 10 minutes to throw this together so my apologies for the confusion

I should have had a disclaimer. " Reviewer assumes audience knows which bag is which".
12-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the youtube, I also have been thinking about a smaller and wider bag, (as I have the hadley large), for just one body and a couple lenses or a small amount of film gear.
I also looked at this one

12-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I also looked at this one
Yep. That's the youtube review that convinced me. Plus this excellent review right here. http://findingrange.com/2015/05/13/billingham-f-stop-1-4-review/

Really I think anyone interested in a Billingham bag for their Pentax DSLR's should probably steer clear of the Hadley Pro and seriously look at the Billingham F/Stop 1.4. It will save them some grief like me. I was able to get $180 for my old bag so that's a nice payment towards the F/Stop 1.4 which I purchased through Amazon fulfilled by K&M camera's for $254.
12-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I am looking for a good travel bag that does not look like a camera bag. Now I have two contenders: The F Stop 1.4 and the Think Tank Urban Disguise 40. These bags would be used for vacation travel away from home and would be my carry on bags for airline travel so I can carry my entire kit which would be K-3 & grip with DA Limiteds 15, 21, 40 and 70 along with HD 55-300 PLM and charger. For more local use I have an old Tarmac and Crumpler 6 million Dollar Home bags. I am hoping to get up to NYC and see these bags up close and personal but this review really gives me a good look at the Billingham bags. Whichever one gives more room than the 6MDH is the one I will likely go with. The problem with the 6MDH is its very square shape which reduces its usefullness as a carry around bag. I would prefer something more rectangular like a messenger bag.
12-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The pro looks like it might work well for micro 4/3 so I am glad I watched it - thank you.

12-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Now I have two contenders: The F Stop 1.4 and the Think Tank Urban Disguise 40.
Looking at the Specs they are both about the same size but the Think Tank weighs Twice as much! And it's got a zipper down the middle. That makes it difficult to grab your camera quick. Definitely a minus for me. Plus I think the Billingham looks much more stylish and less like a camera bag per se. I also noticed that the Think Tank is not waterproof. You have to pull out a hidden bag to cover it. The Billingham sheds water easily and does not require an extra cover.

These bags would be used for vacation travel away from home and would be my carry on bags for airline travel so I can carry my entire kit which would be K-3 & grip with DA Limiteds 15, 21, 40 and 70 along with HD 55-300 PLM and charger.
Man that is a lot of stuff. I didn't purchase the Billingham 1.4 to lug a lot of gear around. For that I've got a large Tamrac. Have you looked at the Domke F2? Now that bag should hold all your stuff.

---------- Post added 12-20-16 at 08:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The pro looks like it might work well for micro 4/3 so I am glad I watched it - thank you.
Yea, I'm pretty sure that bag was designed for a smaller mirrorless camera.
12-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Man that is a lot of stuff. I didn't purchase the Billingham 1.4 to lug a lot of gear around. For that I've got a large Tamrac. Have you looked at the Domke F2? Now that bag should hold all your stuff.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did another look, the Billingham looks like a great bag, but your suggestion to look at the Dome F2 was a good one. Actually I did not go for the F2 but the Next Generation Chronicle Camera Bag (Black Ruggedwear) which is an upgraded version of the F2. What I liked is it has the trolley strap on the back so it an go on my rolling luggage when I am travelling and it fits everything I could bring. I just wish I had the extra $$$ and I would also get the Billingham, that is a really nice bag. Thanks for your very helpful post and responses, Happy Holidays
12-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did not go for the F2 but the Next Generation Chronicle Camera Bag (Black Ruggedwear) which is an upgraded version of the F2.
That is a really cool looking bag. I'd buy that to if I didn't already have like 9 camera bags You just can't go wrong with Domke. I own three myself.
12-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
That is a really cool looking bag. I'd buy that to if I didn't already have like 9 camera bags You just can't go wrong with Domke. I own three myself.
9 Bags! I have 6 now, I guess we have CBBA, Camera Bag Buying Addiction!
12-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
9 Bags! I have 6 now, I guess we have CBBA, Camera Bag Buying Addiction!
Yep. I've gotten the CBBA bug a few years back. With such a great camera the Pentax K-3 is I want to make sure I have it protected. Oh, I forgot about my Click Elite camera backpacks. I've got two of those as well. Of course one is for my wife and her Pentax K-50
12-26-2016, 05:23 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How would you think the peak design every day messenger either 13 or 15 stack up against the hadley or the fstop? I am still leaning toward the fstop.
water proofing?
12-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
How would you think the peak design every day messenger either 13 or 15 stack up against the hadley or the fstop? I am still leaning toward the fstop.
water proofing?
I don't think the Hadley is wide enough to accommodate a DSLR comfortably. So I think you can eliminate that bag. As far as the Billingham 1.4 and the Peak Design are concerned, it's sort of like comparing a Rolls Royce (Billingham) to a Lamborghini (Peak Design). Both are great bags, just pick the style that you like. With that said however there are a few noticeable differences between the Billingham 1.4 and the Peak Design 13. (I think the 15 is too large IMHO). The Peak Design is more of a triangular shape from the side view and when filled tends to fall over whereas the 1.4 is rectangular and remains more upright when packed. At least this is what I've read and seen on the reviews on both YouTube and Bhphotovideo. The Peak Design has a few more do dad pockets than the 1.4 and also has a zipper located at the top of the bag so you can grab your gear without opening the flap. I think this has its good and bad though. It's a tight fit pulling your gear through the zipper whereas on the 1.4 you can just open the flap and tuck it on the onside and easily grab whatever you need. I also prefer both the style and material of the 1.4 over the Peak Design. The 1.4 is simplicity at its finest while the Peak Design has a more modern feel and look to it.

Waterproofing? The Billingham sheds water easily and keeps your equipment dry. I don't have any experience with the Peak Design.

There have been some complaints about the Peak Design strap sliding around all over the place. I can tell you that the Billingham stays secure. I also use a Billingham shoulder pad as well that fits very comfortably although you have to purchase it separately unfortunately.

I also looked at the Peak Design before I purchased the Billingham 1.4 and again I just prefer the look of the Billingham.
Here's some bag dimensions I pulled off the bhphotovideo website.

Peak Design 13. 17.1 X 12 X 4.3
Billingham 1.4. 13.78 X 9.89 X 6.69

Last edited by Driline; 12-26-2016 at 08:29 AM.
12-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

trouble is that the Hadley pro is just so much prettier- a design classic, imo - I love mine, but I must admit I use it mostly for out and about journalistic style photography with smaller lenses