Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

B+W circular polarizer filter is that it does not rotate freely. Any solutions?

I have a 72 mm B+W circular polarizer filter that does not rotate freely but seems to bind or get stuck at certain points.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you!

Last edited by Theov39; 12-23-2016 at 02:41 PM.
12-23-2016, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If new I would return for replacement. Or repair under warranty.

If not new you could try a touch of silicone lubrication but honestly I would do that only as a last resort.
12-23-2016, 11:34 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is probably something microscopically small that got into the space between the rings. Use the thinnest dental floss with the filter on the lens and work your way around the ring to try to dislodge it.

Do they have "Glide" down under? Itʻs a flat floss that is a less thick and less waxy than standard dental floss. Great for folks with tight spaces between teeth and stiff polarizer rotation.
12-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
There is probably something microscopically small that got into the space between the rings. Use the thinnest dental floss with the filter on the lens and work your way around the ring to try to dislodge it.

Do they have "Glide" down under? Itʻs a flat floss that is a less thick and less waxy than standard dental floss. Great for folks with tight spaces between teeth and stiff polarizer rotation.
Thanks for that tip! I will try it.

---------- Post added 12-23-16 at 12:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If new I would return for replacement. Or repair under warranty.

If not new you could try a touch of silicone lubrication but honestly I would do that only as a last resort.
Out of warranty I'm afraid but I will try silicone. Might work and as it is only plastic can't see it damaging the filter.

12-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Out of warranty I'm afraid but I will try silicone. Might work and as it is only plastic can't see it damaging the filter.
Be careful. I had a silicone spray that whatever the carrier was in it dissolved many plastics. Also the silicone could get between the two filters or even in between the sandwiched layers of each of the two filters. A dry lubricant like graphite might be better but can still get in places where you don't want it.
12-23-2016, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't lubricate that filter if I were you.
12-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Does it behave like this on all lenses? I ask since I have one that works fine except when mounted on one particular lens.

12-24-2016, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Does it behave like this on all lenses? I ask since I have one that works fine except when mounted on one particular lens.
Excellent point. With a larger diameter and being plastic, if the lens where the filter is threaded on is slightly out of round, the plastic will slightly conform to fit, but will have issues rotating.
12-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Unfortunately yes. It seems to bind at particular points of the circumferences as if something is blocking it and even on the rest it is not smooth and fluid and feels like it is jamming.

I did some more research and apparently this is relatively common with B+W CP filters, which is surprising given their reputation for quality.