Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wireless remotes

I want to get a wireless remote for my K3, considering the JJC RM-E7; which was suggested in an older thread. Any other suggestions, or is this a good choice?

Thanks in advance for your help!

12-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It'll work.

I've just got a $0.99 one of ebay that is no brand just labeled 'for Pentax'.
Also works fine, though if the battery dies it is best to throw it away and buy another with these cheap ones.
12-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Carol. Seasons greetings to you and yours. The remote you are eyeing seems fine. You will get many good recommendations I'm sure, so I will leave to the others which are good. My only suggestion to you is NOT to get this one. Good luck. Happy New Year to you madam.

Pentax Remote Control WP (O-RC1) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Bert!

Peter, Season's Greetings to you & yours, also!

Yes, I had taken the Pentax one off my list as it's more expensive and the battery cannot be replaced. I know some have; but it's quite a task, since the original battery is glued down!

12-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I buy the $.99 I R remotes 2 or 3 of them and they work just fine. I even got a couple of round ones that I clip to the camera strap for about the same price. But I R is line of sight and relatively short range.
I have a True wireless remote - Pixel RW-221RX for about $20 that is R/W much further range and is not line of sight. Batteries are changeable. You use the cable release port on K3. They brag 100 m range which would have to have ideal conditions. I have used it 12 - 35 meters personally though. I also have a Motion release\ Lightning remote control which is a few more bucks again ( I have used that for Humming Bird shots etc.)
12-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This one's my favourite IR remote from Amazon for $10:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GVHJ5LG/

Having tried a few different options, the build quality is solid, while still being fairly cheap and reliable. It also comes with a little pouch that I use to store the viewfinder cap for long exposures.
12-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Pixel RW-221RX for about $20 that is R/W
I use the Pixal a lot for candids of the Grand Babies so I can watch their facel expressions and movements closer, The I R more for Landscape with long lenses and Moon & Astro shots from the rear receptor on the K3

12-26-2016, 05:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used some of the cheapies from ebay and found them to be not all that good. I bought one of the ORC-1's and found it to work much better (Greater range fore and aft). The water proofing seems a great bonus. I must admit I was not aware of the battery problem till now. Sorry Mr Pentax but that is just plain dumb. I have had mine for some time 2 years at a guess, it still works but I don't use it a lot. So until it gives up the ghost, I will continue to use it but be on the look out for a replacement
12-26-2016, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, I just got a couple of the 98-cent cheapies off of eBay. How can they sell those things so cheap with free shipping all the way from China? At first, I thought they didn't work because dummy me didn't know how to activate the IR receivers on the cameras. I've now gotten three of my four camera bodies to respond to them. I've also got a wired remote that works with my K100D, so everything is covered. The best part is my K10D works with both.
12-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it! I do have a "wired" remote, but find the cord a bother, so want a wireless model.

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
At first, I thought they didn't work because dummy me didn't know how to activate the IR receivers on the cameras.
This would be a very easy thing to overlook!
12-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the same JJC RM-E7 that I purchased in 2015 for my K-50. I haven't used it much but it still functions perfectly, even after a year of storage. The battery is very easy to replace and it's a standard CR2025 cell that you can pick up at the drug store.
12-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your experience with the JJC; that's the one I'm getting!
01-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Thanks for your experience with the JJC; that's the one I'm getting!
Carol I have 3 of these. I keep one in each camera bag. I used them in all weather conditions with no issues. With the K3 an IR remote is extremely handy since you have IR sensors in front and back of the camera.
01-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Michael, thank you! That's great to know!
01-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have a JJC RM-E7. I use it a lot. No problems at all. Good choice.