Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2016, 02:10 AM   #1

Custom belt loop on Pentax soft cases

Hi,

I have the following Pentax pouches: S70-70 (I think), S80-120 (holds DFA 100mm macro) and S120-160 (holds DA* 200mm).

S70-70 has a belt loop. It comes real handy to carry one of the 21mm limited or 35mm plastic fantastic lenses holstered on the belt while the other is on the camera. I have grown to like this hands-free and back-free way of carrying stuff. Last week I carried the AFZ-360II flash in an earlier-purchased Targus case on the belt. Despite the looks, I don't mind carrying two such cases on each side (left and right) of the waist belt. Eventually I might also opt for a similar / clip-on setup to rest the camera and give some respite to my neck.

I was wondering if it is a good idea to go to a local fabricator and get a similar belt loop done for the above mentioned S80-120 and S120-160 cases... maybe two loops for additional weight bearing and pivot support for the one carrying the 200mm.

Has anyone done this mini customization? Does anyone have any views on this one way or the other?

Regards,

12-27-2016, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that it would be nice if Pentax put those belt straps on all of their pouches. I usually use one of the neoprene pouches of the appropriate size attached to the belt loop and use the Pentax pouches for storage at home or in a camera bag. They seem to be for padding in a camera bag setting so I am not sure the soft pouches are designed for attaching straps. I do have a bunch of them though so if someone has a solution that would be great. Thinktank makes a very nice belt system with versatile attachments and a series they call skin pouches: Skin Pouches ? Think Tank Photo. These oversized pouches will hold the Pentax soft pouches inside and that provides extra padding. I can recommend them. Sorry I couldn't give a definitive answer to your question.
12-27-2016, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Getting your cases altered may cost you as much as buying a lens case that is pre-made with a belt loop. I have several Lowepro and a click-elite lens case. They all offer better protection than the Pentax caser with a zipper instead of velcro, and have a sturdy beltloop and a strap for the larger ones. I prefer to carry them in the field than any kind of a bag.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 12-27-2016 at 08:47 AM.
12-27-2016, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

buy some nylon or polyester webbing
cut the webbing to a length a bit longer than you need
singe the cut ends with a lighter (unless you have the right cutting tool to begin with)
mark a straight line on the webbing (white pencil)
align the strap to the pouch
two staples should hold the strap to the bag
hand stitch using the white line as your guide
I use a dab of superglue to keep the last stitch in place
remove your staples
repeat the process on the other end of your strap

the first one will take an hour or so
the second 10-15 minutes

if you don't want to do this yourself try a shoe repair shop instead of a tailor
they will have the ideal stitcher for the heavy material and are frequently less expensive

or buy the lowepro case they really are very good for the money

12-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I guess I'd be better off buying a new pouches than modifying my existing Pentax ones.

I checked ThinkTank and Lowepro. Pretty pricey... Are there any cheaper brands that fit the bill?
12-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AmaZing Quote
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I guess I'd be better off buying a new pouches than modifying my existing Pentax ones.

I checked ThinkTank and Lowepro. Pretty pricey... Are there any cheaper brands that fit the bill?
There are lots of other brands, those are just two of the better ones. Adorama and B&H (Pearstone) have their own brands that are cheaper, some of the neoprene ones are pretty thin.
12-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neoprene lens pouches that have built-in belt loops and clips can be found on Ebay for very little money. I have a set of four and they work very well.

lens pouches | eBay