Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Flying with Batteries

This may be a repost but here goes.

As of last January you can no longer Fly with Lithium Ion batteries that do not have there plastic covers on them, or you can put a piece of electrical tape across the copper contacts then put them in a ziplock bag and your good to go. They can also be inside the camera or cell phone for flying. And you can only carry 2 extra batteries for your camera or cell phone. Thats the batteries that we use in the K10D and the K20D.

Happy Traveling
Jack

08-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
And you can only carry 2 extra batteries for your camera or cell phone. Thats the batteries that we use in the K10D and the K20D.
That's not how I read the TSA rules, fragmented as they are.

As best I'm able to glean from the TSA, passengers are not restricted in how many "smaller lithium ion batteries" (i.e. those smaller than 100 Wh) they may carry on:

The limit of 2 spare batteries...

...specifically applies to "larger lithium ion batteries", i.e. those rated between 100 and 300 watt-hours (Wh):

To tie this back to the Pentax world: my K10D Pentax li-ion batteries are rated at 7.4V and 1.62 Ah (1620 mAh), or ~12 Wh (calculated as V * Ah). In other words, well below the "larger battery" threshold that's restricted to 2 spares per passenger. Since they're not considered "larger batteries", I'm able to carry as many as I wish - and I plan to on my upcoming vacation in Sep (unless I've misunderstood the TSA rules).

Various TSA links on the subject:

TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
What's New - Quick Chart
Wha'ts New - Batteries
Larger Batteries
Larger Lithium Ion BAtteries
Q&A (PDF)

Edit to add: As far as I can tell, this applies to travel within the USA. It may also apply to travel to or from the USA and international locations.
08-03-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the correction, I was just typing what I just read in the new Digital Photography Magazine.
08-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just one thing to add to the thread

I've carried 4 spare batteries for my K10D/K20D, plus another for the Canon system in my carry on, and 3 sets of 4-pack Eneloops. Did 4 trips like that, the last returning on June 9th or so. No problems.

Regards,
Marc